Wheels and Tires

Should i install winter tires for my bmw at costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 4:36 pm
[OP]
Oct 11, 2017
4 posts

Should i install winter tires for my bmw at costco?

Hi all, I have a 2013 bmw 320i sedan. I have ordered a set of 4 michelin XI 3 from costco. But i am wondering if I should get them installed at my local bmw dealership or trust costco to do a good job. I am not replacing my rims and i am going to install the rubber on my existing rims, hence my dilemma. please let me know. Thank you :rolleyes:
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6789 posts
683 upvotes
Alberta
You don't want to keep switching your rims and tires to much. You will cost you money and can adversely affect the tire beads. Get a second set of rims for your winter or original tires and swap mounted tires seasonally.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1677 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto & north …
DavidY wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:24 pm
You don't want to keep switching your rims and tires to much. You will cost you money and can adversely affect the tire beads. Get a second set of rims for your winter or original tires and swap mounted tires seasonally.
^^^^ This. Absolutely.
Oct 28, 2015
300 posts
110 upvotes
Agreed...get winter rims. To answer your question, let Costco install them, not the dealership. Costco offers free tire balance, rotation and flat repair for the life of the tires (unless that’s changed).
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1677 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto & north …
User994301 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:08 pm
Agreed...get winter rims. To answer your question, let Costco install them, not the dealership. Costco offers free tire balance, rotation and flat repair for the life of the tires (unless that’s changed).
Nope. Still the case.

Maybe OP is demoting his 2013 BMW wheels to winter duty and plans on getting a new set of wheels for next spring to house new all-seasons or summer high-performance.

In any case, Costco should be trusted, but just in case, take some clear pics before going in.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2017
4 posts
I will look to buy new wheels/rims for next summer. For now i want to install winter tires on the existing rims. Do you think it will harm my rims?
[OP]
Oct 11, 2017
4 posts
DavidY wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:24 pm
For this winter only if i put my winter tires on existing rims will it harm my performance? I dont plan to buy new rims this winter. Maybe next summer i will buy them.
Nov 26, 2014
25 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It’s ok to put winters on the existing rims. As long as you don’t do it every time you swap tires