• Nov 9th, 2018 11:21 am
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
113 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON

Should I leave my Family business!? HELP

Hello guys

So I have been debating with myself if I should leave my family business for a while and work somewhere else for about a year. Here is more information about our business

1. We started in 2016 and located in GTA
2. Our business is picking up and we see an increase in revenues
3. We are a small business.
4. If I go work somewhere outside for about a year, pretty sure I can find something full time 9-5 in GTA.
5. I work as Account Manager where I have to maintain current accounts and bring new ones.

I would really appreciate your help!
12 replies
Jul 31, 2017
999 posts
254 upvotes
If you don't mind changing your family name, then leave the business. That's a prerequisite.
Apr 18, 2017
162 posts
62 upvotes
Always be your own boss and never have to work for someone else if the opportunity is there
Nov 26, 2013
468 posts
278 upvotes
Winnipeg
If you're unhappy or you're getting that itch to try something new, you should leave. It's not rocket science and you don't need RFD to make major life decisions for you.
Jun 13, 2018
155 posts
109 upvotes
A job is a great learning experience. Unless you're absolutely crucial (u r not) then get outside the bubble to see how other companies operate, deal with employees, establish pay scales, etc, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5579 posts
3195 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You won't improve by staying in one place for long
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Feb 13, 2017
127 posts
41 upvotes
toronto, ontario
Some major considerations:

Q: Will your absence create considerable hardship to your family business? Can your replacement be easily hired and trained?
Q: Why are you leaving? For more money? To take a break from a stressful work environment? To learn new skills and acquire new experiences?
Q: Is it realistic to find employment for just one year in your industry/profession? Do you plan to inform your new employer of your plans?
Jun 14, 2018
31 posts
14 upvotes
That is nowhere near enough information for us to help you make a decision, but just because you made this thread in the first place, it sounds like the answer should be yes.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1127 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
No wonder most starts up fold within the first five years
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
113 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
MarinersFanatik wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:39 pm
That is nowhere near enough information for us to help you make a decision, but just because you made this thread in the first place, it sounds like the answer should be yes.
What more information you want ?
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
113 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 4:18 pm
Some major considerations:

Q: Will your absence create considerable hardship to your family business? Can your replacement be easily hired and trained?
Q: Why are you leaving? For more money? To take a break from a stressful work environment? To learn new skills and acquire new experiences?
Q: Is it realistic to find employment for just one year in your industry/profession? Do you plan to inform your new employer of your plans?
1. Maybe we might struggle
2. Not for money but for experience and to test myself in different work environment
3, Yes if possible I can find a 1 year contract job
Nov 22, 2017
111 posts
35 upvotes
Cocoboy1993 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 9:55 am
Start with what your family business is, if you don't want to disclose that then how can we help you (you can use general terms). You need to look at things like the future and outlook of this business. It sounds to me like you have lost interest and do not have much faith in it, if this is the case then you should leave and gain a different experience this will only open up your eyes at making a bigger decision down the line. Sometimes you go somewhere else and the grass isn't as green as you'd hope.
Jun 14, 2018
31 posts
14 upvotes
Cocoboy1993 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 9:55 am
Well let's start with why you are considering leaving your family business to do something else.

In any case, it's clear that you should make the move. You didn't need us to tell you this.