• Sep 8th, 2008 7:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes

Should I or not: Selling iPhone and buying Nokia N95

I dont think the iPhone is for me. I am thinking of selling my 2.5 week old iPhone 3G and buying the more rugged and feature packed Nokia N95. I havent seen or researched how much I can get for the 3G or how much the N95 costs. I already used up my HUP for the 3G.

Any thoughts on this?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2006
1202 posts
149 upvotes
Pavel wrote: I dont think the iPhone is for me. I am thinking of selling my 2.5 week old iPhone 3G and buying the more rugged and feature packed Nokia N95. I havent seen or researched how much I can get for the 3G or how much the N95 costs. I already used up my HUP for the 3G.

Any thoughts on this?
It depends which features you use more.

I've seen the N95 in action, and I have the iPhone. The N95 just doesn't come close for web browing. However, the N95 does have a better camera, along with MMS.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Another thing which is kinda freaking me out is that according to Rogers, even with the iPhone blocks, Rogers says that I will be liable for all data charges as they can't block data from the phone 100% and that it's in my best interest to get the $30/month additional data plan. I wonder if Rogers CSR's get a commission for selling data plans?
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
If you think you'll enjoy the N95 without a data plan, perhaps a land line would be a better option.

Pavel wrote: Another thing which is kinda freaking me out is that according to Rogers, even with the iPhone blocks, Rogers says that I will be liable for all data charges as they can't block data from the phone 100% and that it's in my best interest to get the $30/month additional data plan. I wonder if Rogers CSR's get a commission for selling data plans?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Data plan? Don't most people already have a land line? With built-in Wifi in both phones, I think a data plan is a moot point for discussion purposes. BLKAPN-175 is suppose to block the network completely on the iPhone, so I have been told. Yet, that isn't stopping some CSRs in applying pressure and trying to intimidate iPhone customers to subscribe to the network data plans.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3140 posts
411 upvotes
well...the N96 is coming "soon"...and you CAN wait for the Sony Ericsson X1...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
1337rice wrote: well...the N96 is coming "soon"...and you CAN wait for the Sony Ericsson X1...
Exactly...then the question still remains, sell now or sell later. I dont use the iPhone as a phone but really as an iTouch which if bought at Costco or elsewhere is more expensive than buying the iPhone from Rogers or Fido.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3140 posts
411 upvotes
sell now because theres still a "demand" for this iPhone...that way you can get "more" than the original price you purchased it...then use that money and buy an N96 or S.E X1 (which won't be out till 2009)
I'm pretty sure you have other phones that are just collecting dust right now...just use those for now...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
1337rice wrote: sell now because theres still a "demand" for this iPhone...that way you can get "more" than the original price you purchased it...then use that money and buy an N96 or S.E X1 (which won't be out till 2009)
I'm pretty sure you have other phones that are just collecting dust right now...just use those for now...
Thanks....that's what I am thinking of doing. Probably Craig's List is best since I dont want the hassle of bidding and shipping on ebay.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
Fox wrote: It depends which features you use more.

I've seen the N95 in action, and I have the iPhone. The N95 just doesn't come close for web browing. However, the N95 does have a better camera, along with MMS.
Install Opera Mobile, problem solved. Opera mobile 9 is very on par with the iPhone browser from my experience. It even has the same gestures.

The Nokia browser is much better than Pocket IE but not as good as Opera Mobile. The Nokia browser is more like Opera mini.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Opera is nice. I hear the N85 is the one to get which is coming out next month?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Pavel wrote: Data plan? Don't most people already have a land line? With built-in Wifi in both phones, I think a data plan is a moot point for discussion purposes. BLKAPN-175 is suppose to block the network completely on the iPhone, so I have been told. Yet, that isn't stopping some CSRs in applying pressure and trying to intimidate iPhone customers to subscribe to the network data plans.
What is the point using a phone to access internet when you have a desktop available to you? What is the point using the tiny keyboard when you have a full keyboard with your desktop?

The data plan is useful when you need to access internet when there is no free wifi available.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1223 posts
123 upvotes
Pavel wrote: Data plan? Don't most people already have a land line? With built-in Wifi in both phones, I think a data plan is a moot point for discussion purposes. BLKAPN-175 is suppose to block the network completely on the iPhone, so I have been told. Yet, that isn't stopping some CSRs in applying pressure and trying to intimidate iPhone customers to subscribe to the network data plans.
You completely missed his point. Ya, I think it is best you return that iPhone and get something less stressful.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1328 posts
gman has a very good point...I have an iphone without a data plan and I don't really access/use the internet unless wifi is available.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1325 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver
Pavel wrote: Another thing which is kinda freaking me out is that according to Rogers, even with the iPhone blocks, Rogers says that I will be liable for all data charges as they can't block data from the phone 100% and that it's in my best interest to get the $30/month additional data plan. I wonder if Rogers CSR's get a commission for selling data plans?
jaibreak it, install bossprefs and turn off all data
Graphic Designer
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2004
2233 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
You'll be fine with the blocks on the iPhone, you won't get any data transmission, don't be a wuss lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Rogers is doing a helluva good job in intimidating people and telling them that the blocks are not 100% effective.

I think more people will jailbreak their iPhone once most of the bugs are ironed out.
Temp. Banned
Feb 16, 2005
13610 posts
140 upvotes
Winnipeg
I love using the iphone on 3G and I have a laptop/desktop also. Each user is different, sell now to get the most buck!

Sushi is here, peace
driving to NS to move, be back in a weekish