Computers & Electronics

Should I Purchase the iPad Mini 4 or iPad Pro 10.5"?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11199 posts
1467 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Should I Purchase the iPad Mini 4 or iPad Pro 10.5"?

I'm very interested in buying a new Apple iPad to replace my aging Nexus 7 (2012) and will be asking my friend to pick it up in USA and bring it back to Canada. At the moment, I'm debating between the iPad Mini 4 from Best Buy for Black Friday, or the iPad Pro 10.5" and getting a price match done if she doesn't mind. What do you guys think I should get? Portability is important to me, but at the same time, the added processing power and larger screen is very nice to have, especially when streaming Twitch, YouTube, and reading e-books or e-magazines in general. It'll also future proof the tablet for another year or two over the iPad Mini 4. I rarely take my tablet out of the house so portability is just one of those nice to have things.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10238 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you rarely take your tablet out of the house, then I'm going to say portability shouldn't be too high on your list. That said, even the iPad Pro 10.5 is quite thin and can slipped into a backpack or carrier bag without adding much bulk.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10597 posts
1682 upvotes
Ottawa
Ipad 10" no doubt. I didn't really like using the Mini much, except if I was leaving the house. When you have a 10" screen, the reading experience is much more similar to an actual book or magazine because you can have the entire page displayed and don't need to keep scrolling around to see the rest of the page.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2434 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
You're comparing two vastly different devices.

The iPad Pro features 2017 tech while the Mini 4 is an aging device and Apple is waiting to phase out, likely next year.

Get the Pro if you see yourself using Pro Apps.

The Pro features 120Hz screen, stereo speakers with audible bass and easily can multitask with iOS 11.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25401 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Definitely get the Pro

I have the Pro 9.7 and it has replaced my notebook. I would have purchased the 10.5, but I invested in the keyboard and all he accessories for the 9.7

I’m waiting for next years iPad Pro before upgrading. The multitasking in iOS 11 is definitely a winner on the Pro