Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes

Should I replace my timing belt NOW ?

Have a 2001 Honda Odyssey .................177 kms

Was at the Honda dealership today for some other work and they mentioned that at 160 k mark the maintenance schedule suggests replacing it. The quote or my other work is $ 700 - their quote for timing belt & stuff just under $ 700 - another $ 700 .....tough nut , particulalry at XMAS.

Frankly , I'd rather sink money in for 4 new snow tires - if i had a choice. How long could I go on driving on the timing belt before I'm realy 'pushing it' ?

I mean, can I wait a few months ( April / May ) to do it or am i drivng on borrowed time if i don't do it ' soon'??? .... ( drive about 350 km a week )

Spend $ 700 on belt now or later ?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
Timing belts are a tough one to decide on...they can pretty much go at anytime, but on the other hand you may be able to get 200K out of your original one..the problem is that if it goes, it'll probably do alot more damage than $700 worth.

I would recommend sticking to the recommended interval...and you're already over that.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
rc51 wrote:Timing belts are a tough one to decide on...they can pretty much go at anytime, but on the other hand you may be able to get 200K out of your original one..the problem is that if it goes, it'll probably do alot more damage than $700 worth.

I would recommend sticking to the recommended interval...and you're already over that.
Well, so much for dad's new snow tires.

Don't know this, but does the manner in which you drive ...city/ hwy have any impact on the degree to which a belt may ' wear out ' or is it just a time interval issue ?
Dec 22, 2004
187 posts
2 upvotes
One factor is how much other "junk" fluids are on the belt. If you are leaking a little coolant from your water pump, this could be eating away at the belt right now. I am not sure if the water pumps are still powered by the timing belt in your vehicle, but they are in civics and accords. I know that civics and accords have interference engines. This means that the valves and the pistons would be occuppying the same space if your belt goes. This is definitely not good for your engine. :-0

Replace your water pump at the same time if it is run by the timing belt. I had mine go once, the cost is only an extra 80 bucks on top of the timing belt change.
Aug 4, 2004
675 posts
Where are you located? I know a guy who can do it cheap. Genuine Honda parts, Genuine Honda Mechanic, ungenunie Honda prices :lol:
poedua wrote:Have a 2001 Honda Odyssey .................177 kms

Was at the Honda dealership today for some other work and they mentioned that at 160 k mark the maintenance schedule suggests replacing it. The quote or my other work is $ 700 - their quote for timing belt & stuff just under $ 700 - another $ 700 .....tough nut , particulalry at XMAS.

Frankly , I'd rather sink money in for 4 new snow tires - if i had a choice. How long could I go on driving on the timing belt before I'm realy 'pushing it' ?

I mean, can I wait a few months ( April / May ) to do it or am i drivng on borrowed time if i don't do it ' soon'??? .... ( drive about 350 km a week )

Spend $ 700 on belt now or later ?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
marty5898 wrote:One factor is how much other "junk" fluids are on the belt. If you are leaking a little coolant from your water pump, this could be eating away at the belt right now. I am not sure if the water pumps are still powered by the timing belt in your vehicle, but they are in civics and accords. I know that civics and accords have interference engines. This means that the valves and the pistons would be occuppying the same space if your belt goes. This is definitely not good for your engine. :-0

Replace your water pump at the same time if it is run by the timing belt. I had mine go once, the cost is only an extra 80 bucks on top of the timing belt change.
Good point...forgot, Honda recomended replacing the water pump as part of the $ 700 belt quote..so it looks like the belt/pump go hand in hand .......good question....have no idea i i'm leaking from the pump or not
Banned
Aug 30, 2004
958 posts
35 upvotes
I have an Acura 1.6 El. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at around 170,000 km. I would do it, if it breaks, big bucks. I went to Robinson Automotive the guy that runs the autoshow on Rogers Cable channel.
He seemed decent so I went, it was a three years ago but at that time it was $400 and change.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2001
5032 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
You do not want to mess with your timing belt. Spend the $700 or 4000 for a new engine.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
maddawg wrote:You do not want to mess with your timing belt. Spend the $700 or 4000 for a new engine.
Does $ 700 ( parts labour ) to replace a timing belt and a water pump sound about right ?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
At a dealership for a Honda, I think so. When I had my Accord years ago they had quoted me around the same....I had had enough of that car so I traded it in before I had to start doing the major maintenance.

Funny enough, my wife's Golf belt change was only about $300/400 at a VW dealership..maybe its less labour involved to do the Golf.
Banned
Aug 30, 2004
958 posts
35 upvotes
Honda garages do the same work as other garages but charge you twice the amount. Go to Robinson Automotive or another you are comfortable with and save your money. A timing belt and water pump change are not hard.
Apr 19, 2004
662 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
the timing belt isn't too expensive - it's more so the labour that'll get you i think.

anyway 160k is pretty damn good my maintenance schedule calls for my belt to be replaced at 96k
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
superdsi wrote:Honda garages do the same work as other garages but charge you twice the amount. Go to Robinson Automotive or another you are comfortable with and save your money. A timing belt and water pump change are not hard.
Right...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1481 posts
12 upvotes
superdsi wrote:Honda garages do the same work as other garages but charge you twice the amount. Go to Robinson Automotive or another you are comfortable with and save your money. A timing belt and water pump change are not hard.
Its called Hourly rate.
Varies from dealership to local garage.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
yjxiao[B wrote:]Where are you located?[/B] I know a guy who can do it cheap. Genuine Honda parts, Genuine Honda Mechanic, ungenunie Honda prices :lol:
Mississauga ...any ' Honda friendly ' garages in the west end I should check out ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
try changing a timing belt on a MR2 and tell me its not hard :lol:
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
timing belts if snapped will ruin your engine.

My mechanic did my timing belt (I have a tight engine bay) for $420 including an oil change.

John Tamburro
905 265 1994
tell em adam sent ya
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
also suggested to do the auto tensioner aswell, and unless the cars still under warranty (which its not now) take it to another reputable mechanic to have the tbelt changed. Screw honda, I call dealerships , stealerships!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
I agree with the previous postings that Honda Dealerships are too expensive. Find a mechanic that specializes in Honda's and get it done there. One that I can definity recommend is:

A.M AutoTrust, 905-791-0777 (dixie & Steeles area)

With regards to changing the belt, do it immediately. If it goes on you while driving, then you better take out a loan from the bank to get it fixed.

It's also highly recommended that you change the waterpump at the same time as this should only cost you an additional $60-$70 for the price of an original pump. Also ensure that when you do get the belt changed, to ensure the mechanic does a valve adjustment once the job is complete!!!!!!

Good Luck

Sunny!!!! :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
sunnybono wrote:I agree with the previous postings that Honda Dealerships are too expensive. Find a mechanic that specializes in Honda's and get it done there. One that I can definity recommend is:

A.M AutoTrust, 905-791-0777 (dixie & Steeles area)

With regards to changing the belt, do it immediately. If it goes on you while driving, then you better take out a loan from the bank to get it fixed.

It's also highly recommended that you change the waterpump at the same time as this should only cost you an additional $60-$70 for the price of an original pump. Also ensure that when you do get the belt changed, to ensure the mechanic does a valve adjustment once the job is complete!!!!!!

Good Luck

Sunny!!!! :)
Thanks....I actually put another call in to a private shop that also works on Honda's...looks like I might go with him. By the way...he said don't jerk around with the timing belt & pump ...he said get both done asap.

On the down side of the Dealership...I was having some' engine light ' problems ( coming on /off ) and the diagnsotic test at Honda to tell me what was wrong ( seems it is an EGR updae that needs to ne done ??? ) was $90 alone !!!!!

On the up sideof the Dealership, I was thinking about getting 4 Michelin X-Ice winter tires..I called three tire shops and the Honda dealership was either the same price or cheaper...around $680 ...go figure.

Have any personal experience with this A.M Auto Trust shop ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)