Should I Sell My Car Here Or In The US?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2011 11:12 pm
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes

Should I Sell My Car Here Or In The US?

I bought my car down in the States when I was doing my MBA, and I drove it up here in January. Border guy didn't give me much trouble because I had an I-20 (student papers for the US) so he thought I was going back. I didn't, and now I want to sell the car, so should I:

i) Sell it on eBay, drive it across the border to ship it/deliver it, which seems ok, except if for some reason, the buyer declines (if they're picking it up) I can't drive it back to Canada, and I'll be screwed in many ways...

or

ii) Register it here and sell it here... which would involve paying the RIV fee (~$220 I think?) but more significantly, tax on the car ($884 @ 13%), perhaps duty (is it 8.1 or 1.1 percent?) and might have to make some changes to the car ($ unknown, scary)... sounds like a lot of money and work, but the car will sell for ~$2000 more here.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1296 posts
181 upvotes
Beamsville
Don't forget the recall clearance letter from the manufacturer, depending on the brand that can be pricey. As for changes it shouldn't be anything more than getting DRL installed/activated. Google your make and model and you should be able to find a price for that or just call a Cdn Dealership tomorrow and ask.