Computers & Electronics

should I switch from Rogers to Carrytel?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2020 12:54 pm
Jun 16, 2017
146 posts
53 upvotes

should I switch from Rogers to Carrytel?

My current deal with Rogers is $60 for 75Mbps/500GB. They are charging $50 + $10 for the modem. So I'm considering Carrytel's unlimited/75Mbps plan for $40. I would save $20 per month but I would have to buy the modem for $130. I don't really need more bandwidth than 500GB, however I suppose my habits might change in the coming years, so unlimited is nice (but definitely not necessary right now). My concern with Carrytel is the reliability of the service - if it was lousy and I had to switch back, I may end up paying more than my current rogers deal and I would be out $130. I believe I also need to buy a wireless router because the carrytel modem is not wireless? I have a 10 year old dlink wireless that may suffice though I don't really know if it would be wise to buy a more current one?
I really hate Rogers and I'm tired of having to plead with them to get a competitive package. So I'd really love to ditch them and save a few bucks.
Note, I am in central Toronto.
Thanks for your comments and feedback.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
Apparently from members on here Carrytel and Start.ca have good reputations as 3rd party cable internet providers. Start.ca has a very good reputation.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Carrytel RFD special is $34.99. For the 75M

http://www.carrytel.ca/rfd-special.aspx
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
CraigB806782 wrote: That RFD is cogeco not rogers
in GTA is Rogers
is same as the $39.99 one, but is $5 less , for RFD special
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
3055 posts
1665 upvotes
I am in almost the same situation.. I am with rogers and spending more for less usage.

Currently renting a wifi modem from them for free... the cost of the modem from carrytel plus a router makes it less appealing... they should at least stock combined modems
I have a really old router as well so I think it's not worth it to use that one.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
zzzz24 wrote: I am in almost the same situation.. I am with rogers and spending more for less usage.

Currently renting a wifi modem from them for free... the cost of the modem from carrytel plus a router makes it less appealing... they should at least stock combined modems
I have a really old router as well so I think it's not worth it to use that one.
with the price difference, it will cover the cost of the model in a few months
so you will be saving money in the long run
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Aug 12, 2017
767 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga
Keigotw wrote: with the price difference, it will cover the cost of the model in a few months
so you will be saving money in the long run
Doesn’t always work that way. Carrytel at my place was terrible and after 2 months I had to cancel the service because it was unusable in the evenings and weekends. So instead of savings I lost over $200
Jun 16, 2017
146 posts
53 upvotes
discostar wrote: Doesn’t always work that way. Carrytel at my place was terrible and after 2 months I had to cancel the service because it was unusable in the evenings and weekends. So instead of savings I lost over $200
where are you located? I'm near yonge and eglinton - wondering if there are any happy carrytel customers in this area?
Aug 12, 2017
767 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga
CraigB806782 wrote: where are you located? I'm near yonge and eglinton - wondering if there are any happy carrytel customers in this area?
If you want to use the Internet mostly for browsing and downloads then Carrytel service may be good for you.
I would not recommend it for heavy streaming or gaming especially when it is done in the evenings or weekends.
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
I think all the complaints on carrytel/cannet are for cable, too much congestion on their network. Im on DSL Carrytel, no issues so far
Jun 16, 2017
146 posts
53 upvotes
leeoku wrote: I think all the complaints on carrytel/cannet are for cable, too much congestion on their network. Im on DSL Carrytel, no issues so far
@leeoku not sure if you have a landline, if not does carrytel charge for the dryloop?
Jun 16, 2017
146 posts
53 upvotes
I just spoke to them - they recommended cable over dsl for my area. I'm going to go for it. I will save $25 a month, so the up front cost is covered in 4 months, so not much downside if its no good. I'm not a gamer nor do I do much heavy streaming. Worth the risk I think.....
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea i have a landline but there is no mention of dryloop on their site
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Does one have to buy that modem from Carrytel or can I use the existing cable modem?

I currently have cable internet with Teksavvy, bought a cable modem from them and just replaced my wireless router
Teksavvy service is fine - their customer service actually excellent, but Carrytel is about $14.- per month cheaper so I'm considering that.

On the other hand, I don't want to have any problems with the internet service and I heard too many issues with Carrytel - so I'm somewhat hesitant to switch.
I'm in Cornwall - anyone have Carrytel cable internet here and can comment on their service?
Aug 12, 2017
767 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga
@krs
If you don’t want to have any problems then stay with TekSavvy. With Carrytel sooner or later you will experiance occasional slow speeds in the evenings and weekends but if you don’t mind that then switch to Carrytel.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Apparently from members on here Carrytel do not throttle while Cannet will throttle during peak hours.
Aug 12, 2017
767 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga
Whether they throttle, use traffic management, not enough bandwidth or it is over congestion, to customer it makes no difference.
Jul 16, 2015
825 posts
891 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I've been on Carrytel for a month and a half and it's been pretty good. I live in Kitchener so I don't have all the problems that people in the GTA are mentioning. I also thought they were throttling and doing traffic management, but now I think they don't. I'm monitoring the situation and have been chiming in on the other carrytel thread. OP should have a look through of that thread.

carrytel-carrytel-internet-150-mbps-49- ... #p27952746
Last edited by dwfLuid on Feb 9th, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 11, 2007
252 posts
63 upvotes
CraigB806782 wrote: where are you located? I'm near yonge and eglinton - wondering if there are any happy carrytel customers in this area?
In your area. Totally fine for general use. I switched a few months ago and no complaints other than you have to get your own WiFi router. I was in the same boat as you and got sick of the charade with Rogers retentions. If you ever feel you are getting slightly less service ( I currently dont notice any difference), just look at your $300 / year savings and smile.