Careers

should i take a paycut for more experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2006 1:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 26, 2003
642 posts

should i take a paycut for more experience?

iam going into 2nd yr uni majoring in accounting/finance, i started a contract job in Stats Canada for $22/hr, doing totally unrelated work then what my major is, now someone in Revenue canada offered me a front line auditing job for half the pay iam getting right now. Should i take the paycut? is the 3 month of experience gonna be worth it?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5700 posts
305 upvotes
are both full-time summer positions? Can you go back to your Stats Can positoin afterwards? Can you possibly juggle both?
[OP]
Oct 26, 2003
642 posts
xwar wrote:are both full-time summer positions? Can you go back to your Stats Can positoin afterwards? Can you possibly juggle both?
both are 9-5 jobs till end of Aug, Since its a contract job at Stats i cant get leave, when I graduate would the 3 month of auditing experience make a significant starting wage difference?
Jul 15, 2005
514 posts
I am not sure about your industry, but any experience related to your field will go a long way of just getting you interviews, which are actually the hardest part of the job search.

As for salary, do you really need the money now? Can you make contacts at Revenue Canada or Stats Canada in order to get full-time positions in the future?

From someone who was in your situation, the experience really mattered for the jobs I applied for when I graduated. Experience beats anything. Plus if you can pull together all your work terms to something related, assuming you have 3 or more work terms, thats nearly an year of experience you can use in your resume and interview. Again, this all depends on how much experience matters in your field.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16516 posts
2199 upvotes
Any reason why you're working for the government? They often are not good co-op experiences - in fact some employers view government experience in a negative light ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1468 posts
108 upvotes
oceans_end wrote:...now someone in Revenue canada offered me a front line auditing job for half the pay iam getting right now. Should i take the paycut? is the 3 month of experience gonna be worth it?
It really depends if you're planning to write the UFE. Otherwise, it's not worth the torture -- ask anyone who's done audit.

I've always had the philosophy that no one is going to pay someone $100/hr to make $10 decisions.. So, if you're thinking about experience and business exposure, the $22/hr job probably does more and requires more skills than the $11/hr job.
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
If you're going for your CA, then DEFINITELY switch to the audit job!! Money should not be an issue if this is just a 3 month summer job. It is a rare opportunity to get audit experience in first year summer. You will definitely stand out when it comes to applying for summer internships at Big 4 firms in 2 or 3rd year. Firms rarely hire 2nd year summer interns, but having the audit experience is a major asset and if you do well at the info sessions, you might have decent shot at landing Big 4 internship next summer.

That is...if you want to get your CA. For finance jobs, it probably doesn't matter.