PC & Video Games

Should I upgrade my Xbox? Get a switch? Stand Pat?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 3:42 pm

Poll: What should I do?

• Total votes: 14. You have voted on this poll.
Trade in Xbox One S, 10 games and upgrade to Xbox One X

36%
Keep Xbox One S, trade 10 games and get Nintendo Switch for free

43%
Stand pat. Keep Xbox One S and 10 games.

21%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
1204 posts
409 upvotes
Quinte West

Should I upgrade my Xbox? Get a switch? Stand Pat?

So I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One S and a Sony Bravia X800D 4k tv. During the double trade event at EB Wednesday i was thinking about trading in 10 games, I can net roughly $400 with those 10.

If I trade my Xbox one S in as well I can upgrade to the Xbox One X at virtually no cost. Is it worth it? I play PUBG a lot. I YouTubed some differences and they seem pretty big.

Trade the 10 games in, keep the Xbox One S and get the Nintendo switch for the 10 games? I appeal to Nintendo's games and I like them, but how is the battery life on the switch? Is it a novelty to anyone that has worn off?

Third option, should I stand Pat? Stay with the PS4 PRO, Xbox One X and keep those 10 games?

The 10 games are:
- Overwatch
- Steep: Olympic Games
- Shadow of War
- Shadow of Colossus
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- South Park FBW
- Call of Duty WW2
- Need for Speed Payback
- Star Wars Battlefront 2
- Gran Turismo Sport

I was leaning toward getting the Xbox One X but open to the switch and open to standing pat..
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2090 posts
213 upvotes
I'd get a Switch personally. You already have a Pro and the XBO isn't exactly drowning in exclusive titles. If you go with this option you can play any console exclusive released in the next few years. And there are some multiplats (Stardew Valley, Dragon Quest Builders, etc...) that I just feel work better as a portable experience.

As for the battery life of the Switch, it's highly dependent on the game. BotW gets ~3 hours, while Disgaea 5 Complete gets ~6 hours. And no, the novelty hasn't worn off. Consistent releases of excellent exclusive titles and a really nice hardware package. It's far and away the nicest thing Nintendo has ever made in terms of fit and finish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
1204 posts
409 upvotes
Quinte West
Ascott wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:14 pm
I'd get a Switch personally. You already have a Pro and the XBO isn't exactly drowning in exclusive titles. If you go with this option you can play any console exclusive released in the next few years. And there are some multiplats (Stardew Valley, Dragon Quest Builders, etc...) that I just feel work better as a portable experience.

As for the battery life of the Switch, it's highly dependent on the game. BotW gets ~3 hours, while Disgaea 5 Complete gets ~6 hours. And no, the novelty hasn't worn off. Consistent releases of excellent exclusive titles and a really nice hardware package. It's far and away the nicest thing Nintendo has ever made in terms of fit and finish.
I have two boys, one who is 6 years old and just starting to get into his 2DS. So I often thing maybe a switch would be good, he could check it out as well.. He's loving mario kart on the 2ds haha.

The X is still tempting. I was quite amazed at the difference in PUBG alone. the field of view is so much better and it's sharper,
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6426 posts
1503 upvotes
Nintendo usually has the best exclusive local multiplayer games out of the 3 platforms.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, inevitable Super Smash, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, etc.

Since you already have a PS4 Pro, I would get a Nintendo Switch over upgrading to an XBOX One X.
Nintendo has better exclusive first party games than Microsoft.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Feb 11th, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 20, 2009
6397 posts
1049 upvotes
Grimsby
I have to agree with Ascott and XF, the Switch + PS4 combo is probably the best decision based on what you posted.

Down the line if Microsoft addresses their exclusive problems then you can take advantage of the X being a lower price and get one then.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1057 posts
270 upvotes
It depends, gotta ask yourself what games do you want to play? If you play PUBG a lot then the X is definitely worth it. The XO is just really underpowered. This way you'd have the PS4 for exclusives and the X1X for everything else.

Of course you could also get a Switch and have access to their library of games.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1411 posts
730 upvotes
Windsor
Stand pat. U can get X at much cheaper price via Amazon warehouse or Kijiji.

As for Switch, I use it as mario kart only machine after finishing BOTW. The library is just so small right now so you'd better wait a bit longer for 3rd party Japanese games support and perhaps a price drop.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5145 posts
1958 upvotes
Easy,

For him: XBox One X
For kids: Switch

Just depends on who's happiness is more important. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5011 posts
705 upvotes
calgary
I own a switch and an Xbox one X, well the Xbox one X is a great console and it would be tough to go back (especially with PUBG) I have to recommend the switch here. All though how much you want an improved version of PUBG is kind of the deal breaker here.

On the OneX most of these Xbox games just look cleaner on the new system they don't really play much better, having said that PubG is the exception, in addition to a full 4K resolution and just better graphics overall, the framerate is much better on the One X version and there are much less bugs, when playing on the regular One I'd constantly run into issues where the game assets wouldn't load or the textures would be blurry. This game in particular looks and feels so much better on the OneX.

However the Switch is a great console and a great compliment to these home consoles due to its ability to take it on the go. Also it's first year lineup is incredible, Zelda:BOTW and Mario Odyssey might go down as two of my favorite games ever. Mario & Rabbids was also amazing, plus if you didn't have a WiiU MK8 and a number of other games are being ported. Its great for the kids too, I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old and they both use it a ton. I think you'll enjoy the Switch much more, plus its something brand new as opposed to a one X which is just more of the same.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2300 posts
294 upvotes
Ajax
I own them all. Xbox One X is awesome if you have the set-up. But Switch offers so much for the kiddies, not to mention a couple of solid titles for yourself. Try and manage to get them all through various discounted means.