• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2017 8:29 am
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
972 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver

Should I withdraw from my program?

So I went to study IT, I thought I would be interested in it, granted it's only been 2 days, and they were introduction classes. 16 hours of classes already. And i'm not really feeling it. I just find myself looking at the time, or i'm listening not really interested at all about anything. I just think about going home.

This is my first college experience ever, I am in my mid twenties though. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me, or guidelines, whether I should withdraw if i'm not interested, or keep going. Any counsel would be very appreciating.

Next week is the last week I can go for a program refund so I'll be thinking about it next week.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
If you're not interested, there's no sense in sticking it out. But it doesn't seem like you've given it much of a chance, after only 2 days.

I withdrew from Engineering many years ago, and took another 4 years off (went in right after high school). But I stuck it out for a semester. For me, it was the right choice, I think. I went in there not really knowing what engineers did.

C
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
972 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 6:38 pm
If you're not interested, there's no sense in sticking it out. But it doesn't seem like you've given it much of a chance, after only 2 days.

I withdrew from Engineering many years ago, and took another 4 years off (went in right after high school). But I stuck it out for a semester. For me, it was the right choice, I think. I went in there not really knowing what engineers did.

C
Is it normal to feel like uninterested as an older guy? I look at my classmates and many of them don't seem to have a problem with what's going on. I'm used to work, I worked since leaving highschool, so i'm used to "here's your job, show up, and do your job." I think if I were younger, straight out of highschool, I would be more into it.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 6:44 pm
Is it normal to feel like uninterested as an older guy? I look at my classmates and many of them don't seem to have a problem with what's going on. I'm used to work, I worked since leaving highschool, so i'm used to "here's your job, show up, and do your job." I think if I were younger, straight out of highschool, I would be more into it.
I don't think so. I went back after 4 years without a problem. Why did you chose the program you did?

C
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
972 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:39 pm
I don't think so. I went back after 4 years without a problem. Why did you chose the program you did?

C
I always wanted to try going the IT route, my program is specifically networking or sys admin. But now that i've started the program, i'm having really mixed feelings. It could be culture shock because the environment is something i'm not used to. I am just completely exhausted after every class. I used to work 60 hours manual labour and I was never this exhausted. Classes are 4 hours long, 2 classes a day.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1211 posts
302 upvotes
Ottawa
SquirreI wrote:
If you have been out of the academic setting for some time it is completely normal to take a bit of time to get back into it again. Rarely at any type of work you will have to concentrate for so long at a pace that you have no control.

And I am not sure what type of program you are in, but in general the first year is pretty dry. The courses are probably more interesting than your typical HS courses, but it will feel boring compared to real work, as it is hard to see the point of those courses until you need them later. Unlike at work you usually have a stronger sense of the purpose of your job.

If you think you need more time to pick up the pace maybe consider dropping some courses instead of withdrawing altogether?
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 8:18 pm
I always wanted to try going the IT route, my program is specifically networking or sys admin. But now that i've started the program, i'm having really mixed feelings. It could be culture shock because the environment is something i'm not used to. I am just completely exhausted after every class. I used to work 60 hours manual labour and I was never this exhausted. Classes are 4 hours long, 2 classes a day.
I think you need a bit of time to "switch over" as it were.
I did the opposite, went into construction after university.
It took a few months to really get into the swing of things.
You are going from manual dexterity and co-ordination to pure mental rumination.
It takes a little while for you brain to rewire.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
I'd have trouble going from "working" all day to being in class for 8 hours a day, and I work on computers (not physical at all). There will definitely be a transition period, as others have suggested. You're going to have to figure out if you're having issues because the course isn't going to be interesting/valuable to you, or because you're just in transition. Can't help you decide that...

C
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
972 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
csi123 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 9:27 am

If you have been out of the academic setting for some time it is completely normal to take a bit of time to get back into it again. Rarely at any type of work you will have to concentrate for so long at a pace that you have no control.

And I am not sure what type of program you are in, but in general the first year is pretty dry. The courses are probably more interesting than your typical HS courses, but it will feel boring compared to real work, as it is hard to see the point of those courses until you need them later. Unlike at work you usually have a stronger sense of the purpose of your job.

If you think you need more time to pick up the pace maybe consider dropping some courses instead of withdrawing altogether?
I don't think I can do that unfortunately, it's like if I fail one course, then I fail the program. sort of thing.
cowbunpants wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:54 pm

I think you need a bit of time to "switch over" as it were.
I did the opposite, went into construction after university.
It took a few months to really get into the swing of things.
You are going from manual dexterity and co-ordination to pure mental rumination.
It takes a little while for you brain to rewire.
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:46 pm
I'd have trouble going from "working" all day to being in class for 8 hours a day, and I work on computers (not physical at all). There will definitely be a transition period, as others have suggested. You're going to have to figure out if you're having issues because the course isn't going to be interesting/valuable to you, or because you're just in transition. Can't help you decide that...

C
Thanks for the input guys. My brain does feel like it's scrambled after every class. Finding it very stressful to where i'm on the verge of tears when it's all over. The last class of the day today, I totally gave up, my head was just not working anymore. I just looked down and closed my eyes.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
The first year of almost any academic program is going to be boring and super basic.
If you think full time education (post secondary) is going to be interesting, think again.
You'd probably benefit from continuing to work full time, and then attending school part time.
Otherwise, adjust your expectations of what your program includes (what you'll be covering/learning).
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 7:24 pm
I don't think I can do that unfortunately, it's like if I fail one course, then I fail the program. sort of thing.
Thanks for the input guys. My brain does feel like it's scrambled after every class. Finding it very stressful to where i'm on the verge of tears when it's all over. The last class of the day today, I totally gave up, my head was just not working anymore. I just looked down and closed my eyes.
Are you in college or university?
And what program are you taking?
What are your current classes that you find mind scrambling?
Did you complete high school with difficulty?
How old are you? (You make it sound like you're a senior ... but old on RFD, is someone in their 20's which I have to laugh at!) ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
I found the opposite actually. When I was 19, I couldn't really focus very well and didn't appreciate the classroom.

Coming back in my 20's was the right move. I had my head better in check.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1873 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
If you are not interested in IT, then you may want to consider switching your program then. It just means you need to "reset"
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3791 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 8:18 pm
Gosh 4 hours long lectures.. even the most interesting topic will easyly get boring let alone intro classes in the first week of school.