Art and Photography

Should my mom even consider her camera, or stick with the phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 4:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9380 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto

Should my mom even consider her camera, or stick with the phone?

My mom has a Canon SD1400 IS
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot- ... B0035FZJJ4

And she also has an iPhone SE.

I'm wondering how they compare in terms of image quality, but also wonder if the difference (assuming the "camera" is superior) is big enough to justify another device to bring along+charge. On the other hand, it's far more straightforward for her to get around snapping photos, zooming, etc. (getting them off the memory card AFTER is harder though!)
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1990 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 9:29 pm
My mom has a Canon SD1400 IS
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot- ... B0035FZJJ4

And she also has an iPhone SE.

I'm wondering how they compare in terms of image quality, but also wonder if the difference (assuming the "camera" is superior) is big enough to justify another device to bring along+charge. On the other hand, it's far more straightforward for her to get around snapping photos, zooming, etc. (getting them off the memory card AFTER is harder though!)
What year for the iPhone SE?

I mean, if you are with her, wouldn't she just pick up your pictures?

That camera is over 7 years old lol.

I would invest in a WD Passport Pro for taking images off the camera and storing them safely, or the Kingston Mobilelite if you have a tablet or laptop with you guys.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6308 posts
1590 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
At the end of the day, your mom should go with whatever she feels more comfortable with (and happy with the end results). There's nothing wrong with an older camera as long as she (not you or I) are happy with the results and is willing to use the camera. I always say that it's better to have a fuzzy picture than no picture at all - in other words, let her use the device she wants to use.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4547 posts
140 upvotes
Your mom's camera has optical stabilization so there's that. Don't think iphone's have that.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10491 posts
1613 upvotes
Ottawa
Oni-kun wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 11:13 am
Your mom's camera has optical stabilization so there's that. Don't think iphone's have that.
All the newer ones do, iPhone 7, 7Plus, 8, 8Plus, X, but the SE doesn't. I'm upgrading my wife's 6 to a 8 (or better) and am looking forward to the OIS.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9883 posts
877 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Problem with fone cam's (right now) is the lack of DOF... everything always looks flat. The new portrait mode makes the pics look fake imo. Nothing beats DOF and blurred fotos from a dslr.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10491 posts
1613 upvotes
Ottawa
OP has a point and shoot so it's not like their going to get better DOF out of a camera either

With the portrait mode in the latest phones, people can get sufficiently good "bokeh" for their purposes from their phone.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!