Careers

Should a new graduate work for the government?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2010 3:07 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
Truemana wrote: There's something seriously wrong with your outlook on life if you think it's okay to receive a paycheck by just coasting through life.

I'll be honest, I just have no respect for some one who believes 'if I can have an easy, well paying job while coasting through my career, why not?'. How much self respect can that person really have? Not that you necessarily don't have any self respect or anything.
Must one get a demanding full-time job in the private sector in order to gain self respect?

I don't think I encouraged the notion of getting an easy, well-paying job and coasting through one's life and career, although I wouldn't look down on someone who does that. It's a personal choice and I respect that.

My point was, the advantage of having an easy-going job is allowing one the time to pursue things on the side and focus on things that are important to him. If he's self-motivated enough and enjoys challenges, then he is free to engage in things like entrepreneurialship, or whatever that may interest him.

Getting a demanding private sector position may provide job satisfaction to some (like yourself), but it is not the only way to gain self respect or to find challenges in life.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
346 upvotes
Brisbane
sardaukar wrote: Must one get a demanding full-time job in the private sector in order to gain self respect?

I don't think I encouraged the notion of getting an easy, well-paying job and coasting through one's life and career, although I wouldn't look down on someone who does that. It's a personal choice and I respect that.

My point was, the advantage of having an easy-going job is allowing one the time to pursue things on the side and focus on things that are important to him. If he's self-motivated enough and enjoys challenges, then he is free to engage in things like entrepreneurialship, or whatever that may interest him.

Getting a demanding private sector position may provide job satisfaction to some (like yourself), but it is not the only way to gain self respect or to find challenges in life.
Well, to each his own. Maybe it's just that I can't personally imagine myself being in a mindless easy job surfing youtube all day (public or private sector). I can't understand how anyone could go through 40 hours a week without a decent sense of accomplishment or being a part of a larger goal. It sounds really boring and quite honestly... I wouldn't feel proud to talk to anyone about my job.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8452 posts
3627 upvotes
If you're in the Gov, just begged for more work and responsibilities. Not that hard. They usually will scrap food from his/her plate onto your own, that is, if they think you're responsible. Working for the gov is great, I will prefer to be employed with them than the private sector where you put in countless hours and constantly bringing work home and staying in the office late. You still have a life to live outside of work...
Jul 14, 2009
800 posts
96 upvotes
Somewhat off topic, but where can I find government postings? I've found the municipal listings with my local city. Where can I find provincial and federal listings?

I believe this is the one for Ontario:
http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Jobs.aspx

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
A grad should take ANY job that comes their way. Seems the govt. is pretty much the only major employer willing to take a chance on new grads. Everyone else wants min.3-5yrs experience for an entry level position it seems...
Or literally pay peanuts...
Sep 7, 2009
114 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I love working in the public sector because I enjoy working with citizens and helping them out with their issues my department deals with. However, yes, there is a lot of typical "public sector employees" that I work with. These are the type who NEVER go beyond their job duties. They will specifically say to their manager "sorry, that is not in my job duties, I am not going to do this." and the request could be somethig so simple. The worst part is working with unionized workers, who know their collective agreement by heart and do the bare min and count down the days until retirement to collect that great pension. However, with that aside, their are many perks including the constant training I recieve, good benefits and the atmosophre is not as "rushed" as in the private sector.
Aug 10, 2007
882 posts
11 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote: A grad should take ANY job that comes their way. Seems the govt. is pretty much the only major employer willing to take a chance on new grads. Everyone else wants min.3-5yrs experience for an entry level position it seems...
Or literally pay peanuts...
Not everyone... Some places to hire new grads, and they don't pay peanuts.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1413 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa, On
steevee wrote: Not everyone... Some places to hire new grads, and they don't pay peanuts.
To be honest... in the current job market if you had a position to fill and you had 10 people with 3-5 years experience, and are willing to work for the pay of a new grad... who would you hire?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
da_guy2 wrote: To be honest... in the current job market if you had a position to fill and you had 10 people with 3-5 years experience, and are willing to work for the pay of a new grad... who would you hire?
This is nothing new though.
Although it's worst now, true.

I wonder, what % of grads DON'T get hired. By that I mean end up working retail jobs or something meaningless...
I haven't been able to find any info.
Sep 7, 2009
114 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: This is nothing new though.
Although it's worst now, true.

I wonder, what % of grads DON'T get hired. By that I mean end up working retail jobs or something meaningless...
I haven't been able to find any info.
Even that information is hard to find because a lot of schools will state "95% of grads find employment after graduation" however, they never say what type of employment and same with employment statistics; all jobs are lumped into on category.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2123 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
I got a job with the govt. right out of grad school, and don't regret it at all. It obviously depends on your field of study, goals, etc.

I had a biology M.Sc., and was sick of academia. I was either looking at entry-level biotech (if I could find it), making $30K and stomping the pavement selling pipette tips.

Or, as I lucked out, $60K in a job that has become incredibly satisfying. I used to work at CIBC as well (teller, back office, tech) where the bottom line was to meet sales quota and fatten CIBC's profits. I hated it. Now, the work I do results in tangible benefits to the province, family and friends.

I also had the same impression of govt. workers: lazy, overpaid, fat pension. I'm happy to report that I've experienced quite the opposite. Everyone on my floor is intelligent and dedicated to the job. It obviously differs across such a huge organization (ont. govt is 60,000+, I think); I'm in a central agency, where a lot of action happens. I've heard from other that the pace in line ministries is a bit slower. Our workflow is dictacted strongly by the fiscal cycle, so come budget time, we're putting in tons of overtime for months at at a time. When it slows down for the summer, people respect the work/life balance and take off when the day is up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)