Parenting & Family

Should parents be notified if their kids join a gay/straight alliance?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2017 8:58 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6701 posts
346 upvotes
Absolutely not. School GROUPS or CLUBS are supposed to be safe so there is no reason for the teachers to inform the parents.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
2818 posts
915 upvotes
Edmonton
As a parent to a teenager who's been active in the LGBQT groups at school, I'll say no, they shouldn't be automatically notified. But if a child has joined but isn't having conversations with their caregivers, that should be a topic of conversation with the group leaders and that child. Support from the group is important, but support and acceptance by the caregivers is very important as well.

C
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3300 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be incredibly concerned if the school informed me that my child had joined an LGBTQ group - primarily because its none of my business. If an LGBTQ group at a school is not a 'safe space' for someone who may be questioning their sexuality, then there's a much bigger problem at play than if one of my kids happens to love someone of the same gender.

If my kids want to tell me, then I hope I've been an open enough parent to have them tell me themselves. If I haven't been, then I hope they have safe spaces to turn to.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2050 posts
729 upvotes
Is a gay/straight alliance another name for ... a gang?
Dec 6, 2016
29 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Yes.
Why should others in your community have information about your child that you don't have?
What's to stop the alliance members personal info from being shared?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2216 posts
760 upvotes
Karebear77 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 11:12 pm
Yes.
Why should others in your community have information about your child that you don't have?
What's to stop the alliance members personal info from being shared?
Umm the fact that it's a school and they don't just give out students information. And it should be up to your child to tell you. Do you want the school to tell you everything your child says? Of course other people know things you don't. If you think otherwise your naive. Even if you have the best relationship with your kids they won't tell you everything.
Jan 9, 2011
433 posts
185 upvotes
Vancouver
Absolutely not. There are bigoted parents out there. A GSA at school is supposed to be a safe space. The very last thing that should happen would be for bigoted parents to be told their kid is in a GSA. The parents could then ban the kid from attending what may be the only safe space he has, and the kid's own home will become all the less safe.
Dec 6, 2016
29 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Momof3cuties wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 8:42 am
Umm the fact that it's a school and they don't just give out students information. And it should be up to your child to tell you. Do you want the school to tell you everything your child says? Of course other people know things you don't. If you think otherwise your naive. Even if you have the best relationship with your kids they won't tell you everything.
Of course I don't want to hear about any little thing kids do at school.
What's to stop the other kids in the alliance from spreading info about your child and then you're in a situation where everyone else knows what's up with your kid but you.
I want to know how my kids are doing socially and take an interest in any groups they may be a part of.
I don't see why a gay/straight group should have different rules than any other.
If a child chooses to keep a secret, they don't really need to involve a group of people to help them out with that.
Being a member of a group like this implies there's something to hide or secrets to keep.
Jan 9, 2011
433 posts
185 upvotes
Vancouver
Super strokey wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 11:23 pm
That literally has nothing to do with this and serves only to derail the conversation.

On topic, yes they should. They are minors and parents should be made aware unless there is imminent danger to the child.
That's exactly why parents should NOT be told. Telling bigoted parents their kid is in a GSA could PUT the kid in imminent danger in his own home.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2216 posts
760 upvotes
Karebear77 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:24 am
What's to stop the other kids in the alliance from spreading info about your child and then you're in a situation where everyone else knows what's up with your kid but you.
I want to know how my kids are doing socially and take an interest in any groups they may be a part of.
I don't see why a gay/straight group should have different rules than any other.
If a child chooses to keep a secret, they don't really need to involve a group of people to help them out with that.
Being a member of a group like this implies there's something to hide or secrets to keep.
Well it's up to you to have discussions with your kids. Not up to the school to inform you. And if your child doesn't tell you they are in a group like that there is probably a good reason why. There are many bigoted parents out there and kids need a safe place.

I'm pretty sure the parents who would want a school to tell them are the same parents that kids would want to keep this from.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35477 posts
1854 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 1:15 am
Let parents know who to honor kill or send away to sleepaway torture camp. Great idea.
You said it offensively thus the down votes...
But what of youre a brown kid from a super strict muslim home (or conservative christian home).
But you just happen to be a homosexual. Imagine the school being forced to tell those parents... the kid is going to get beat just for being a homosexual. It doesnt seem really fair.

Almost seems as if this is a rule meant to let parents know early if their kids are gay so they can put a stop to it. Kids should make their own choices.
Dec 30, 1969
829 posts
260 upvotes
Karebear77 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:24 am
If you want to know how your child is doing socially, then it's up to you to foster that relationship. I agree, straight or gay clubs should not have different rules than others. Other clubs in the higher grades do not need parent permission unless they are going off site, there is a risk of the activity, or something out of the ordinar such as higher fees. When your child signs up, they should discuss it with you, it's not up to the school.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9111 posts
521 upvotes
Just another reason why our governments are a disaster...because instead of focusing on the economy and debt load they are meddling with what activities people want to be involved in, though completely legal. Stupid comment by Kenney.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5711 posts
718 upvotes
Mississauga
I find this a form of discrimination. Why do schools feel its their responsibility to 'out' the kids?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13037 posts
612 upvotes
This should be treated no different than any other club or activity. My wife has run clubs such as this and there is a huge mix of people of all different walks of life. I for one would be proud if my kids joined a club such as this to support family, friends, others who need the support---or even themselves.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel