Parenting & Family

Should parents be notified if their kids join a gay/straight alliance?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 3:22 pm
Jun 23, 2016
28 posts
8 upvotes
Absolutely not. The reason it even exists should explain this.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2820 posts
213 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 5:05 pm
This should be treated no different than any other club or activity. My wife has run clubs such as this and there is a huge mix of people of all different walks of life. I for one would be proud if my kids joined a club such as this to support family, friends, others who need the support---or even themselves.
This - should be treated the same as every other club/activity...
Aug 28, 2016
94 posts
66 upvotes
Personally, leave it up to the parents. You are not the parents of someone else's child, and you shouldn't try to be either. I don't support what is happen with the family situation in this country, The government of Ontario is now calling itself co-parents to children, while at the same time trying to take away the ability to call oneself a father and mother. This progressive idea that government should be calling the shots, while working hard to eliminate parents from make decisions about their own children is absolutely troubling. Parents that send their children to schools should have a say in their school in how their children are raised. The idea that someone who has no idea about someone else child is allowed to dictate to an entire province about how their children are raised is absolutely troubling.
Last edited by Mike2258 on Apr 14th, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
974 upvotes
Mike2258 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 9:52 pm
Personally, leave it up to the parents. You are not the parents of someone else's child, and you shouldn't try to be either. I don't support what is happen with the family situation in this country, The Govenernmnet of Ontario is now calling itself co-parents to children, while at the same time trying to take away the ability to call oneself a father and mother. This progressive idea that government should be calling the shots, while working hard to eliminate parents from make decisions about their own children is absolutely troubling. Parents that send their children to schools should have a say in their school in how their children are raised. The idea that someone who has no idea about someone else child is allowed to dictate to an entire province about how their children are raised is absolutely troubling.
Attitudes like this are exactly why parents should not be notified. I'm guessing if your child joined they would not tell you because of your closed off and ignorant attitude. The government isn't dictating anything. These clubs give kids a safe place. Something your child would obviously need should they begin to question their sexuality. I guess you would prefer they grow up hating themselves and possibly commit suicide?
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 11:29 pm
Definitely not. There are still parents out there who'd kick their kids out of their house for being gay, or send them to conversion camps.
Oh yes there are.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
785 upvotes
Dildo, NL
LNahid2000 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 11:29 pm
..... send them to conversion camps.
Holy Moly. Is that a real thing?????
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36649 posts
2528 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 12:14 pm

You said it offensively thus the down votes...
But what of youre a brown kid from a super strict muslim home (or conservative christian home).
But you just happen to be a homosexual. Imagine the school being forced to tell those parents... the kid is going to get beat just for being a homosexual. It doesnt seem really fair.

Almost seems as if this is a rule meant to let parents know early if their kids are gay so they can put a stop to it. Kids should make their own choices.
Raggie wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 8:25 pm
I find this a form of discrimination. Why do schools feel its their responsibility to 'out' the kids?
Look at those down votes.
Probably by parents who would beat or disown their kids for being gay. Or try to change them straight.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
785 upvotes
Dildo, NL
^ lol....downvotesFTW!!!!!
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
May 12, 2009
683 posts
256 upvotes
The school did not tell me my daughter joined the orchestra. I guess that explains all the odd noises coming from her bedroom. She is an athlete and if she has spare time I expect her to doing something active like rugby. Why wasn't I informed?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6070 posts
895 upvotes
Mississauga
pimom wrote:
May 24th, 2017 9:44 am
The school did not tell me my daughter joined the orchestra. I guess that explains all the odd noises coming from her bedroom. She is an athlete and if she has spare time I expect her to doing something active like rugby. Why wasn't I informed?
Oh wow! Disappointed But Relieved Face
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
May 12, 2009
683 posts
256 upvotes
Are my downvotes for the satire, the orchestra or the rugby lol.
Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
364 upvotes
pimom wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:11 pm
Are my downvotes for the satire, the orchestra or the rugby lol.
Lol... I don't think people may have caught the satire. I think the down vote may be for the noises coming out of the bedroom. Face With Tears Of Joy
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
May 12, 2009
683 posts
256 upvotes
Honestly, my daughter has taken a shine to the viola. And she did join the orchestra without telling me. I would prefer her to concentrate on her sport, which she excels at - judging by the sounds the viola makes, she's not going to be a virtuoso at strings. But as a parent, my job is to raise an self-sufficient human being who is capable of making her own choice and living with those choices.