Off Topic

Should U of C criminally convicted student be expelled?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 8:45 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8844 posts
13677 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:26 pm
Ugh. Now it gets ugly. If he's paid full tuition, he can argue that he is lawfully allowed to be there. You're either allowed or not. Besides help, I also hope he will call a lawyer.
They are saying they are doing it for his safety - and I assume the safety of their security people etc
Regardless of payment, attendance is to an extent a privilege.
Maybe they did not have the policies in place to expel him...but if his attendance poses a risk to others maybe they do have the right to say "no."
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2460 posts
957 upvotes
Montreal
akira1971 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:16 am
Every university in Canada has a Code Of Conduct policy that students AGREED to abide by when they enrolled. They specifically lay out the definition of what non-academic "wrongdoings" are (including convictions under the Criminal Code) and the range of disciplinary action from reprimands to expulsion. These university rules have be around for DECADES and many students have been kicked out after a criminal conviction. This is nothing new.

Sorry to interrupt your rant about "social justice trials" with actual facts...
I know no University in Quebec that have this and I'm in the business. If it exist I never heard anyone who got expelled for crime committed outside school or unrelated to the university.

There's some serial killer in Canada that are currently enrolled in a university.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1059 posts
533 upvotes
Sounds like its "advice", not an order. For instance, at the school I attended, students were often "Advised to discontinue", but such 'advice' could be ignored, ie: a student could certainly choose to ignore such 'advice', and continue their studies. A higher level of academic sanction, an "Required to discontinue", was a prohibition against enrolment in courses.

The University might be trying to minimize its liability if this individual were injured by other students, and/or faculty.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to study under such conditions. Every professor in the classes to which he has signed up for has probably been given a briefing of the facts including that of his conviction, and would probably hold that against him in their assessments of academic performance. Having said that, there's lots of first year courses which are basically all multiple choice or are completely based on quantitative evaluation. In a large lecture hall and with a bit of alteration of appearance, doubt anyone would even know of his presence unless they were actively looking for him.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2009
786 posts
382 upvotes
@burnt69 I wouldn't put it past some of the SJW on campus (I dreaded them when I was in school) to actively seek and harass him. That's one thing that always bothered me about some of the left-leaning groups on campus. They appeared to promote fairness and equality at the expense of other people. But that is the subject matter of another thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1059 posts
533 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:16 pm
@burnt69 I wouldn't put it past some of the SJW on campus (I dreaded them when I was in school) to actively seek and harass him.
The SJW's I had a problem with on-campus were actually professors. Including one who was so devoted to being a communist that he gave everyone in the class a 72% grade on the final exam no matter what they wrote. I pursued him in the University's academic misconduct process for academic misconduct, but that was ultimately fruitless after a while.

To the point of this article, if the guy picked his classes right, and didn't do anything to stick out like a sore thumb, he could probably take the classes under the radar. I believe his problem would be the profs "poisoning the well" so to speak.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2460 posts
957 upvotes
Montreal
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:36 pm
The SJW's I had a problem with on-campus were actually professors. Including one who was so devoted to being a communist that he gave everyone in the class a 72% grade on the final exam no matter what they wrote. I pursued him in the University's academic misconduct process for academic misconduct, but that was ultimately fruitless after a while.

To the point of this article, if the guy picked his classes right, and didn't do anything to stick out like a sore thumb, he could probably take the classes under the radar. I believe his problem would be the profs "poisoning the well" so to speak.
Wow,

What was the field of study?

This would go disciplinary in a second in my University.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1059 posts
533 upvotes
vonblock wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:49 pm
What was the field of study?
Canadian post-Confederation History, a first year course. He should've been found guilty, but after all the procedural wrangling, and the fact that I was graduating that year, it wasn't worth my time/limited money to pay a lawyer to pursue it further.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11548 posts
2486 upvotes
Let him finish, sheesh.

100 years ago an 18 yo marrying a 13yo would have been normal.