• Aug 16th, 2017 6:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1086 posts
78 upvotes

Should you avoid "turbo" engines?

IT seems alot of car manufacturers are pushing turbos. downsizing engines to less then 2.0L and adding turbos to compensate for these underpowered 1.8L engines that supposely give u great mileage, but lack power, hence the turbo option.

Ive always been told, turbos in general, are an EXPENSIVE repair if they ever break.

For that reason alone, should they be avoided?

One of my vehicles im considering getting is the honda CRV but it only comes equiped with a 1.9L V4 TURBO.
133 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
1901 posts
353 upvotes
Springfield
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:33 am
….
One of my vehicles im considering getting is the honda CRV but it only comes equiped with a 1.9L V4 TURBO.
1.5L I4 Turbo.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24416 posts
5245 upvotes
GTHA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:33 am
For that reason alone, should they be avoided?

fyi, the engine in the CR-V is a 'turbocharged 1.5-litre, DOHC direct-injected inline-4'
from http://www.hondanews.ca/en/news/release ... -Press-Kit

How long are you planning to keep this vehicle?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1552 posts
309 upvotes
TORONTO

Any car can give you expensive repairs. Fixing a V6 Engine could be expensive, etc.

You can try to mitigate some of these expensive repairs by doing you're research (type of engine (How long it's been around) , pros/cons, avoiding first gen year cars (most newer ones have their problems ironed out), etc)
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4112 posts
156 upvotes
Peterborough
One of my cars is a 10 year old 2.0L turbo and i sometimes push it quite hard, no issues with the turbo.

Also used to own a 12 year old TDI which I believe was a 1.9L turbo and again no issues.

As long as you do oil changes and general maintenance it should be fine....if you plan on taking your Honda CRV to the track every day it may be a different story.
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13926 posts
3514 upvotes
Ottawa
The problem I have, are auto manufacturers switching to DI plus turbo.
There will be carbon build up on the back size of the intake valves, well before issues arises with the turbo.
Mar 17, 2010
64 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
I have an 07 Saab 2.0T as a winter beater with 380,000 kms, bought it at 55,000kms...and zero turbo/engine related issues.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27290 posts
3644 upvotes
Ottawa
Turbo engines have been around a very long time. Be they turbo diesels in trucks and cars or high performance twin turbos in high end brands. Turbos in cars have been in Europe a lot longer than over here. No problems at all and very reliable.
Yes, they get more performance out of a smaller displacement engine plus less weight, all for better fuel economy. Direct injection engines, non turbo or turbo, had problems in the beginning but are no longer problematic.
My last 2 cars had turbos, a 2011 Optima 2.0 turbo, 290 hp using regular oil and now a CR-V, 1.5 turbo and have had no problems with either.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Apr 28, 2011
126 posts
91 upvotes
Better fuel economy than a larger say v6 engine however most turbo cars require premium fuel and some full synthetic oil so there goes your fuel economy savings...
Mechanically I don't think they're any less reliable however it is one more thing to break/fix and can be an expensive one at that.
I had a Mercedes that needed a new turbo ($6000 from Mercedes dealer) and the car was only a couple years old.
Oct 29, 2009
397 posts
84 upvotes
As a rule, no. But I think you want to do your research. There are turbo engines that are built to handle the additional heat/stress that a turbo brings. Those engines can be bulletproof. On the other hand if a company is putting a turbo on an engine that isn't built up enough to handle it then that will be a recipe for trouble obviously. It's hard to tell the good ones from the bad without some research so, as mentioned above, avoid buying a 1st generation turbo-equipped vehicle.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3456 posts
183 upvotes
Thornhill
We have 2007 acurA Rdx (Honda) in the family, although it's a pig on gas it's been problem free. Has 180k on the clock now, always synthetic oil change with recommended rating
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5150 posts
342 upvotes
Love turbo engines. Turbo 4 are better than the V6 with low end torque. Well, it's a trend that will continue to happen as the demand for more efficient vehicles will continue to rise. No way to avoid it. Even those high power V8 are being replaced by V6 turbo. Good luck avoiding turbo all together.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1735 posts
362 upvotes
Calgary
For most people NA is better, especially if you don't know much about cars or don't care to know about them (nothing wrong with that).

A turbo engine should be treated gently until the oil is warmed up and it should be driven gently a few min before you shut it off. This is where NA is better for most people.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1735 posts
362 upvotes
Calgary
tilfhunter wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:04 am
Better fuel economy than a larger say v6 engine however most turbo cars require premium fuel and some full synthetic oil so there goes your fuel economy savings...
Most main stream turbo cars require regular now, but the advertised power is based on either 91 or 93 octane. So it's your choice, the difference in power is usually 5-10%. Mazda is the only one so far to spell out how much power their turbo CX-9 has running either regular or premium.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13926 posts
3514 upvotes
Ottawa
aleks wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:35 am
For most people NA is better, especially if you don't know much about cars or don't care to know about them (nothing wrong with that).

A turbo engine should be treated gently until the oil is warmed up and it should be driven gently a few min before you shut it off. This is where NA is better for most people.
No longer applicable to modern engines; especially when shutting down as the turbo(s) are watercooled.