Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2018 posts
978 upvotes
Oakville, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:33 am
IT seems alot of car manufacturers are pushing turbos. downsizing engines to less then 2.0L and adding turbos to compensate for these underpowered 1.8L engines that supposely give u great mileage, but lack power, hence the turbo option.

Ive always been told, turbos in general, are an EXPENSIVE repair if they ever break.

For that reason alone, should they be avoided?

One of my vehicles im considering getting is the honda CRV but it only comes equiped with a 1.9L V4 TURBO.
In the 1980's or 1990's avoiding turbos was a thing. Not the same worries now in the newest generations of turbos.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
You won't really be able to "avoid" turbos for much longer as Forced Injection takes over more and more vehicles.
Dec 16, 2008
532 posts
162 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Though some people mentioned turbo 4 is better than V6, i would say turbo V6 is better than V8. 590whp out of a V6 reliably is fun :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7905 posts
954 upvotes
Markham
I love Turbo cars. my last car was Mazdaspeed3 and now my household has the Lexus NX200T
My MS3 had 150k when I sold it and the engine still runs strong and pull like hell.

I don't know why we need to avoid it, we are not 1980s anymore. Turbo Engines are very common, is no longer a brand new technology.
When people is modding it, just make sure they know what they are doing. For example, the fuel pump needs to be upgraded before your changing your exhaust pipe or even the intake.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:52 am
You won't really be able to "avoid" turbos for much longer as Forced Injection takes over more and more vehicles.
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:36 am
I love Turbo cars. my last car was Mazdaspeed3 and now my household has the Lexus NX200T
My MS3 had 150k when I sold it and the engine still runs strong and pull like hell.

I don't know why we need to avoid it, we are not 1980s anymore. Turbo Engines are very common, is no longer a brand new technology.
When people is modding it, just make sure they know what they are doing. For example, the fuel pump needs to be upgraded before your changing your exhaust pipe or even the intake.
I test drove a couple nissans and none of them had turbos in them aazingly. but the v4 in the rogue was a 2.3 litre or something like that .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
Aug 11th, 2017 10:50 am
I test drove a couple nissans and none of them had turbos in them aazingly. but the v4 in the rogue was a 2.3 litre or something like that .
Yeah now you can still find Naturally Aspirated engines, but as the years go by, more and more engines will incorporate turbos to meet emission & fuel efficiency standards.

Also FYI there's no V4 in the Rogue, it's an inline 4 cylinder (otherwise referred to as an I4). Just a nomenclature thing.
kooroshkabir wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:29 am
Though some people mentioned turbo 4 is better than V6, i would say turbo V6 is better than V8. 590whp out of a V6 reliably is fun :)
But then there's turbo V8s and even turbo V12s! :D
Last edited by uber_shnitz on Aug 11th, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 16, 2008
532 posts
162 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Trubo V8 numbers that I have seen are pretty similar to that for Turbo V6. i.e. M5, F-type R,...
Mar 17, 2010
96 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
kooroshkabir wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:53 am
Trubo V8 numbers that I have seen are pretty similar to that for Turbo V6. i.e. M5, F-type R,...
Dat V8 sound tho Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7905 posts
954 upvotes
Markham
Aug 11th, 2017 10:50 am
As per uber_shnitz mentioned, don't ever say V4.
When someone say V4, means that person has very limited knowledge about cars....

Inline 4 is what we call. there is V6, V8, but not V4. There are inline6 for 6 cylinders N/A cars, not only V6.

A lot of manufactures are still making and selling non Turbo cars. Corolla are 4 cyclinders. a lot of compact cars are still running with 4 cyc engines.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
kooroshkabir wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:53 am
The F-type uses supercharging not turbocharging, which usually is more advantageous on larger engines. Also the number of cylinders is only one part of the story. The size of the turbo used, the size of the engine itself and other factors will come into play. Also the noise :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
desistylzz wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:55 am
Dat V8 sound tho Smiling Face With Sunglasses
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:56 am
As per uber_shnitz mentioned, don't ever say V4.
When someone say V4, means that person has very limited knowledge about cars....

Inline 4 is what we call. there is V6, V8, but not V4. There are inline6 for 6 cylinders N/A cars, not only V6.

A lot of manufactures are still making and selling non Turbo cars. Corolla are 4 cyclinders. a lot of compact cars are still running with 4 cyc engines.
uber_shnitz wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:56 am
The F-type uses supercharging not turbocharging, which usually is more advantageous on larger engines. Also the number of cylinders is only one part of the story. The size of the turbo used, the size of the engine itself and other factors will come into play. Also the noise :)
so in general. you guys are suggesting that todays modern turbos, whether, honda, toyota, ford etc are fine to buy as they are reliable and wouldnt need to be "Avoided"?

i would assume tho if the turbo ever busts in the future, it would be an expensive repair tho?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7905 posts
954 upvotes
Markham
Aug 11th, 2017 11:01 am
so in general. you guys are suggesting that todays modern turbos, whether, honda, toyota, ford etc are fine to buy as they are reliable and wouldnt need to be "Avoided"?

i would assume tho if the turbo ever busts in the future, it would be an expensive repair tho?
Even it is a non Turbo N/A cars, if the engine popped, it would be expensive too, not just turbo cars.
I wouldn't worry about it if you are not modifying the car and keep the engine components original.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28412 posts
4383 upvotes
Ottawa

Yes, turbos are fine and have been fine for a very long time.
Don't assume that at all, a turbo will rarely need repair. It is just a spinning fan. Other things on a heavily electronic dependent vehicle will need repair long before a turbo.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 11th, 2017 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Feb 6, 2011
985 posts
544 upvotes
I would avoid turbos if regular maintenance has not been followed. Once sludge builds up, turbos don't last.

No reason to avoid them if regular maintenance has been followed and should last the life of the engine.

Check the owners manual for proper shut down instructions especially after driving up mountains. If it doesn't use water cooling, thermosiphoning, pumps, there may be procedures to follow to prevent oil coking, which will damage a turbo.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1837 posts
429 upvotes
Calgary
billford wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:15 pm
I would avoid turbos if regular maintenance has not been followed. Once sludge builds up, turbos don't last.

No reason to avoid them if regular maintenance has been followed and should last the life of the engine.

Check the owners manual for proper shut down instructions especially after driving up mountains. If it doesn't use water cooling, thermosiphoning, pumps, there may be procedures to follow to prevent oil coking, which will damage a turbo.
Exactly. I would have a very hard time buying used turbo car because most people are clueless about how they work. New would be ok since I could take proper care of it from the beginning.