• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 6:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18756 posts
2283 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Turbo issues shouldn't be a problem as most cars are leased today. You only have to worry it in the long run. After the warranty is expired.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27290 posts
3644 upvotes
Ottawa
billford wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:15 pm
I would avoid turbos if regular maintenance has not been followed. Once sludge builds up, turbos don't last.

No reason to avoid them if regular maintenance has been followed and should last the life of the engine.

Check the owners manual for proper shut down instructions especially after driving up mountains. If it doesn't use water cooling, thermosiphoning, pumps, there may be procedures to follow to prevent oil coking, which will damage a turbo.
What sludge?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36156 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:50 am
I test drove a couple nissans and none of them had turbos in them aazingly. but the v4 in the rogue was a 2.3 litre or something like that .
Its a inline 4. Or 4 cylinder.

Don't say V4 bc it makes you look dumb and clueless about cars.

The true V4 is a very rare engine. Only a few in the world make them.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2034 posts
379 upvotes
Mississauga
aleks wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:20 pm
Exactly. I would have a very hard time buying used turbo car because most people are clueless about how they work. New would be ok since I could take proper care of it from the beginning.
There's nothing to know though... pretty much every turbo is coolant cooled nowadays...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7340 posts
690 upvotes
Markham
aleks wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:20 pm
Exactly. I would have a very hard time buying used turbo car because most people are clueless about how they work. New would be ok since I could take proper care of it from the beginning.
Viperoni wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:29 pm
There's nothing to know though... pretty much every turbo is coolant cooled nowadays...
Turbo or not, most people have no clue about car's engine and other components inside. That's why dealership or garages have their business.

When you buy a used car, N/A or Turbocharged, you are taking a chance. A N/A car doesn't means it is safer ore more reliable than a Turbocharged car.
Get a mechanic to check it out first and go from there.
I bought my last Turbo car used as well. Drove for 7 years and ran 120k KM with it and it still ran smooth at the time I sold it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 10, 2007
163 posts
81 upvotes
Arviat
No turbo = reliability goes up. Played a part why Honda/Toyota/Nissan were so "reliable" compared to their counterparts with turbo when it came to volume sellers.
If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.
Feb 19, 2017
650 posts
292 upvotes
Personally I dislike turbos. I dislike the spool up time and the delay in me slamming on the gas to my car propelling forward. I stick with NA V6 right now (in fact I decided against many cars because they lacked an NA V6) just because acceleration is smoother, powerful, and really just a nicer engine to me. If I had the option I would go with a Supercharger instead as I've had that in the past and boy howdy that was fun, but really the turbo 4's out there just do nothing for me.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3214 posts
1872 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:53 am
The problem I have, are auto manufacturers switching to DI plus turbo.
There will be carbon build up on the back size of the intake valves, well before issues arises with the turbo.
Very true, and only a couple companies are making some engines with both port and direct injection. Toyota has it and Ford is starting to use it on theirs as well. Best of both worlds and will clean your valves but comes at an extra cost.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/explained- ... injection/
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1721 posts
666 upvotes
Montreal
Turbo engines today would have equal or more torque than your V6 throughout the entire RPM range and virtually no delay, some reach full boost at 1500 RPM.

Of course there's something about a high revving NA, preferably straight 6.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7688 posts
1806 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:53 pm
Turbo or not, most people have no clue about car's engine and other components inside. That's why dealership or garages have their business.

When you buy a used car, N/A or Turbocharged, you are taking a chance. A N/A car doesn't means it is safer ore more reliable than a Turbocharged car.
Get a mechanic to check it out first and go from there.
I bought my last Turbo car used as well. Drove for 7 years and ran 120k KM with it and it still ran smooth at the time I sold it.
How can a FI motor be just as reliable if not more than a NA motor with the added complexity and heat???

I hate turbo motors, the exhaust sound sucks, the lag sucks and throttle response sucks. NA forever.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27290 posts
3644 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 3:44 pm
How can a FI motor be just as reliable if not more than a NA motor with the added complexity and heat???

I hate turbo motors, the exhaust sound sucks, the lag sucks and throttle response sucks. NA forever.
A F1 motor is not comparable in any way. It is so highly stressed and such minuscule clearances, they would not last a day in everyday driving. You cannot even drive the car below 5000 rpms. Hope you will get to know a bit more about engines.
I also think you are very much behind the times. The exhaust sound has nothing to do with the turbo, one is intake the other is exhaust. There is hardly any lag anymore. Throttle response is almost exclusively electronic nowadays so, no cables etc. Lastly, normally aspirated engines are going away....efficiency reasons.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7688 posts
1806 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 5:49 pm
A F1 motor is not comparable in any way. It is so highly stressed and such minuscule clearances, they would not last a day in everyday driving. You cannot even drive the car below 5000 rpms. Hope you will get to know a bit more about engines.
I also think you are very much behind the times. The exhaust sound has nothing to do with the turbo, one is intake the other is exhaust. There is hardly any lag anymore. Throttle response is almost exclusively electronic nowadays so, no cables etc. Lastly, normally aspirated engines are going away....efficiency reasons.
F1?
FI as in forced induction. Get off your high horse already.
Lastly hardly any lag on a turbo motor means there's lag lmao

Anyone that knows cars will never say that a FI motor has the same response as a NA motor, it's simply not possible.

Thanks for the down votes car enthusiasts of RFD L O L
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27290 posts
3644 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:25 pm
F1?

Anyone that knows cars will never say that a FI motor has the same response as a NA motor, it's simply not possible.

Sorry, I read it as F 1.
High horse? Perhaps your post would not have required a response if it had any merit.
If you would know what "lag" is on a modern turbo engine your comment would not have been made. Learn a bit. If you are going to discuss engines in an automotive forum, better know what you are talking about...and you do not seem to.
Perhaps the down votes are earned? L O L
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15484 posts
1685 upvotes
Montreal
aleks wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:35 am
For most people NA is better, especially if you don't know much about cars or don't care to know about them (nothing wrong with that).
Do you think a dealer will only try to screw owners of forced induction cars?

People who don't know about cars pay through the nose for all maintenance.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15484 posts
1685 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:25 pm
F1?

And after driving electric, I feel justified at sneering at the woeful response time of NA gas cars.