Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8314 posts
2458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:47 pm
Sorry, I read it as F 1.
High horse? Perhaps your post would not have required a response if it had any merit.
If you would know what "lag" is on a modern turbo engine your comment would not have been made. Learn a bit. If you are going to discuss engines in an automotive forum, better know what you are talking about...and you do not seem to.
Perhaps the down votes are earned? L O L
You have a new CRV and just like that you are the turbo authority now lol

There's lag period. Drive a real car for once and find out for yourself.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8314 posts
2458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mr_raider wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:53 pm
And after driving electric, I feel justified at sneering at the woeful response time of NA gas cars.
Can't argue with that. It is disgusting how fast they respond.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:00 pm
You have a new CRV and just like that you are the turbo authority now lol

There's lag period. Drive a real car for once and find out for yourself.
I had a Optima turbo before that and a BMW twin turbo. I have had many cars in my life some real and some unreal.
Turbo lag is pretty close to a myth nowadays. I will concede there is some but, in most cases it is less than a second at low RPM and gone at high RPM, and in your case, the time from your foot to your brain more than covers that lag :)

When you get some experience, come back with facts.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16727 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
What people call "turbo" lag is actually their fancy 9 speed auto trying to downshift.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12446 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
Turbo engines are just as reliable as any other engine I find. My brother in law has a 2013 Hyundai sonata 2.0 turbo and it's got around 120k without any issues. Wife's CLA45 has around 25k and no issues at all. That engine in the CLA is pushing 26 psi of boost from the turbo. Manufacturers are making sure their turbo engines are solid. Turbo is the future.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16727 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah I had a DI NA V6 made by the world's most reliable car maker that gunked up and needed scrubbing.

In contrast my two turbo fuel injected cars did fine.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
4450 posts
2828 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 3:44 pm

How can a FI motor be just as reliable if not more than a NA motor with the added complexity and heat???

I hate turbo motors, the exhaust sound sucks, the lag sucks and throttle response sucks. NA forever.

Hilarious how the fact filled post gets downvoted. You should expect no less from the uninformed knuckleheads on this forum.

Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:47 pm
Sorry, I read it as F 1.
High horse? Perhaps your post would not have required a response if it had any merit.
If you would know what "lag" is on a modern turbo engine your comment would not have been made. Learn a bit. If you are going to discuss engines in an automotive forum, better know what you are talking about...and you do not seem to.
Perhaps the down votes are earned? L O L
It seems not only do you know nothing about synthetic oil, you know very little about turbos too. To actually question turbo lag doesn't exist or that a turbo engine 'sounds the same as NA' just shows you have zero clue how a turbo works.

A turbo requires exhaust gasses to spin the turbine, as soon as a driver goes off throttle exhaust gasses decrease and less air is taken in by the turbo. If the driver gets back on the throttle there is a slight delay until the engine generates enough exhaust gas to drive the turbine again and overcome the inertia to spin it. Electronics can compensate some by keeping the engine revs higher for a second or two but if a driver is off the throttle long enough (such as in a braking situation) there is lag when the throttle is pressed again whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

As for sound it is a function of intake, engine and exhaust noise. A turbo alters both intake and exhaust noise. It's so bad manufacturers are piping in fake noises in turbo cars or using crazy expensive titanium, exhausts and cat backs to try to recapture the sound of an NA engine. Even Ferrari dislikes turbos because they can not replicate the sound of their NA engines. Please stop posting and acting like some automotive genius here, you're embarrassing yourself again. :D
Dec 16, 2014
792 posts
405 upvotes
Easter Island
meh, i prefer toyota's new NA engines= more powerful and better fuel economy compared to competition turbos
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6141 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:02 pm
Hilarious how the fact filled post gets downvoted. You should expect no less from the uninformed knuckleheads on this forum.

It seems not only do you know nothing about synthetic oil, you know very little about turbos too. To actually question turbo lag doesn't exist or that a turbo engine 'sounds the same as NA' just shows you have zero clue how a turbo works.

A turbo requires exhaust gasses to spin the turbine, as soon as a driver goes off throttle exhaust gasses decrease and less air is taken in by the turbo. If the driver gets back on the throttle there is a slight delay until the engine generates enough exhaust gas to drive the turbine again and overcome the inertia to spin it. Electronics can compensate some by keeping the engine revs higher for a second or two but if a driver is off the throttle long enough (such as in a braking situation) there is lag when the throttle is pressed again whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

As for sound it is a function of intake, engine and exhaust noise. A turbo alters both intake and exhaust noise. It's so bad manufacturers are piping in fake noises in turbo cars or using crazy expensive titanium, exhausts and cat backs to try to recapture the sound of an NA engine. Even Ferrari dislikes turbos because they can not replicate the sound of their NA engines. Please stop posting and acting like some automotive genius here, you're embarrassing yourself again. :D
I like the sound of the turbo spool though
Nov 4, 2008
388 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
LoANeal wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 3:30 pm
Personally I dislike turbos. I dislike the spool up time and the delay in me slamming on the gas to my car propelling forward. I stick with NA V6 right now (in fact I decided against many cars because they lacked an NA V6) just because acceleration is smoother, powerful, and really just a nicer engine to me. If I had the option I would go with a Supercharger instead as I've had that in the past and boy howdy that was fun, but really the turbo 4's out there just do nothing for me.
That's why Volvo makes 2.0L Turbo/Supercharged T6 DOHC I-4 engine Thumbs Up SignSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes Best of both worlds!

http://wardsauto.com/10-best-engines/20 ... rbosuper-4
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
ottofly wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:02 pm
Hilarious how the fact filled post gets downvoted. ....

It seems not only do you know nothing about synthetic oil, you know very little about turbos too........

Yeah, the fortunate thing for me is I got my information and knowledge by actually getting grease under my fingernails as a career automotive and aviation mechanic. Practical, hands on and, training.
You and your buddy with your turbo bad and only N/A good rhetoric is so far from actual or even realistic it is humorous to think you have any practical knowledge of todays automotive technology at all.
It is a shame people like you with your internet mechanical ability and formed opinions make such arguments. When you and your buddy grow up and get something more powerful than your Briggs and Stratton powered strollers (naturally aspirated of course) , well, then we will listen :)
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 12th, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
karakoram wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:18 pm
meh, i prefer toyota's new NA engines= more powerful and better fuel economy compared to competition turbos
I find that hard to comprehend. Could you provide some explanations to your statement?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11343 posts
1376 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:05 am
Even it is a non Turbo N/A cars, if the engine popped, it would be expensive too, not just turbo cars.
I wouldn't worry about it if you are not modifying the car and keep the engine components original.
If u consider Honda engine at junk yard is around 400-600 is expensive........ Labour is a different story.....
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11343 posts
1376 upvotes
Order a ktuner flash and boost that SUV.......

My USA cumpare bought a 1.5 civic turbo and after ktuner, he is very happy with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2969 posts
288 upvotes
desistylzz wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:29 am
I have an 07 Saab 2.0T as a winter beater with 380,000 kms, bought it at 55,000kms...and zero turbo/engine related issues.
I am equally jealous as impressed.