Automotive

Should you Avoid vehicles with "panoramic roofs" as a future problem?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 10:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1182 posts
89 upvotes

Should you Avoid vehicles with "panoramic roofs" as a future problem?

Many vehicles are starting to get these giant sunroofs that covers more roof then metal.

Would they pose more of a risk for leaking?

and would they be more dangerous in an accident such as a roll over? like compromising structually integrity or just straight up the glass breaking and shattering over you?

I like sunroofs, but these panoramic roofs seem a bit much, and sometimes when u want something in a certain trim level, they automactically come with it whether you like it or not.
33 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I’m not a fan. Every car I’ve own has a moon roof as standard equipment and I can honestly say it gets opened twice a year, if that.

If it’s hot out, I want air conditioning. If you let the sun shine into the cabin of the car, it will just get hot and may discolour the interior.

It is not as structurally sound. I would assume it is using shatter proof glass like the windshield. The leaking is not really a problem as long as you change the rubber seals every 5 to 7 years.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16313 posts
1075 upvotes
Woodbridge
I love Moonroofs and love Panoramic even more, I wished my CivicX got it because the UK version did.

I can honestly say Fuel Economy, Safety isn't on my list when purchasing so this answers OP's question. God forbid but when shopping I don't ask myself what if I rolled over.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2383 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
My car with panoramic shade open brightens up my day and looks normal unlike my other car with regular sunroof which the shade is closed most of the time. I tried to open the sunroof shade but it just isnt same and looks weird so I just leave it closed.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19178 posts
121675 upvotes
GTA
Have heard about these spontaneously shattering as well. I agree that they are not that useful on already hot/sunny days - just makes things worse, especially if it's a moonroof. I tend to open the moonroof more when it is overcast or in the winter, when I actually want more of the sun to help warm up the interior.
Oct 13, 2016
114 posts
37 upvotes
No complaints I actually like it. The only annoyance I had was with my C350, it would squeak and dealer could never solve the issue.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15778 posts
4674 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, I can do without also.
Preferred a regular sunroof, but my vehicle gets dual panels and it reduces roof cargo carrying capacity.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2495 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
I'm on my third consecutive vehicle with a pano roof (and third brand) and all thus far have had zero issues. My kids really like it as it opens up the back of the car. If it's sunny/hot, just close the shade.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1164 posts
191 upvotes
I have a panoramic roof and although I do like it, I can't say that I don't keep in the back of my mind the spontaneous shattering issue and what would happen in case of a rollover.
Alex
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5245 posts
1445 upvotes
Kootenays
I'm in year 7 with my Venza with a pano roof. Although we rarely open the glass, the shades (front & back) are always open. It really brightens things up and the tinting is dark enough that we don't get bothered by the sun on a hot day. We've had zero problems with ours and would definitely buy one again.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28227 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
I am on my second car with a panoramic roof. Love it. It is nice to be able to let light into the interior of the car.
As for the safety aspect of it in the case of a roll over, well, the fact that glas, front and rear are now structural on most cars, I do not see the panoramic roof any more detrimental than the front.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1360 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Over the last 22 years, there were 859 incidents filed in the US. The probability of it happening are ridiculously low: 6-20 million+ new cars/year are sold in the US.

Top 5 manufacturers with issues (1995-2017):
  • Hyundai: 119
  • Ford: 85
  • Nissan: 82
  • Kia: 78
  • Scion: 72

That said, for those that have had to get their shattered roofs replaced, Consumer Reports notes that manufacturers haven't always been willing to resolve the issue under warranty so it can be a huge cost/hassle.
Gee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:15 am
If it’s hot out, I want air conditioning. If you let the sun shine into the cabin of the car, it will just get hot and may discolour the interior.

It is not as structurally sound. I would assume it is using shatter proof glass like the windshield. The leaking is not really a problem as long as you change the rubber seals every 5 to 7 years.
Anything made this decade has a both IR and UV blocking elements in the glass making this a non-issue.
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:01 am
and would they be more dangerous in an accident such as a roll over? like compromising structually integrity or just straight up the glass breaking and shattering over you?
A sun/moon/panoramic roof has no bearing on the structural rigidity of a vehicle even in a rollover. The vertical pillars and crossbeams are what absorb the impact. While a metal roof prevents elements from getting into the vehicle, all cars have rollover strengths many times the weight of the car. The minimum acceptable requirement is 3.5x the weight.
Home automation, CanadaHiFi Magazine, photography, EVs.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2423 posts
558 upvotes
Montreal
Potential water leak problem and broken glass are your major concerns
Not buying something on sale is not a crime.
Apr 11, 2009
66 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Had the pano roof for our Venza for 6 years and had no problems with it at all