Automotive

Should you Avoid vehicles with "panoramic roofs" as a future problem?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 10:17 am
Aug 22, 2017
231 posts
71 upvotes
My very first car that I've owned was a 1995 Honda Civic Si with Sunroof (automatic). Over the years of owning it, I've opened my sunroof tons of times! It feels great driving with it open, but after a few years I did have leakage from the roof. Next thing you know my back seat was soaked in water!
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4887 posts
1726 upvotes
Next car I own will have a panoramic roof!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3400 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
always had sunroof and my new car has panoramic roof. love it no problems at all.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7797 posts
911 upvotes
Markham
9394 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:56 am
Same here. Next one should got to have a panoramic roof.

If some always worry the new thing make the car not reliable or have future issue, just buy a plain base model compact car.
No keyless entry, No start button, No auto trunk release, etc... :P
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 4, 2011
647 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
Sunroof has always been a 'if it's there it's a bonus' kind of deal with me. 2013 TDI wagon had a great pano roof that we opened a lot and never had any issues with, apart from a screeching noise. Could have put grease but all the issues I read online seemed to be people that messed around like that with their roof.

2018 R has no sunroof and I could care less. Not a piece of equipment that matters in my buying process, given the howls about the no sunroof in the R I am in the minority.
Oct 26, 2009
667 posts
132 upvotes
I never used my sunroof. I rather don't have it and it would give me more headroom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1182 posts
89 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:53 am
My very first car that I've owned was a 1995 Honda Civic Si with Sunroof (automatic). Over the years of owning it, I've opened my sunroof tons of times! It feels great driving with it open, but after a few years I did have leakage from the roof. Next thing you know my back seat was soaked in water!
9394 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:56 am
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:53 am
Same here. Next one should got to have a panoramic roof.

If some always worry the new thing make the car not reliable or have future issue, just buy a plain base model compact car.
No keyless entry, No start button, No auto trunk release, etc... :P
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:57 am
Never needed one, windows do just fine so I’m content without one.
admiralackbar wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:09 am
Sunroof has always been a 'if it's there it's a bonus' kind of deal with me. 2013 TDI wagon had a great pano roof that we opened a lot and never had any issues with, apart from a screeching noise. Could have put grease but all the issues I read online seemed to be people that messed around like that with their roof.

2018 R has no sunroof and I could care less. Not a piece of equipment that matters in my buying process, given the howls about the no sunroof in the R I am in the minority.
lordnikon wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:15 am
I never used my sunroof. I rather don't have it and it would give me more headroom.
marktang wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:12 am
always had sunroof and my new car has panoramic roof. love it no problems at all.
assuming i get the car with the pano, it will be sitting outside parked for most of its life. would that increase chances of leaking since the sun will be beating down on it alot?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28233 posts
4203 upvotes
Ottawa
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:12 pm
assuming i get the car with the pano, it will be sitting outside parked for most of its life. would that increase chances of leaking since the sun will be beating down on it alot?
Just think of the millions of cars parked outside most of their lives, they are fine. Millions of cars down south have them and they survive just fine too..
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Jan 2, 2009
226 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Never had any issues with my sunroofs on any of my cars. No leaks, no rattles, nothing ... and I open/close the sunroof all the time.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4294 posts
2908 upvotes
GTA
I personally would say no to moonroof/glass roofs.

Pros
- looks nice
- adds heat in the winter
- can be fun to open it when not on the highway

Cons
- expensive
- reliability issues (they're mechanical so they can break down after the warranty expires)
- they can leak (some models had issues where they open randomly and get rained in, either due to programming issue or remote button being held in pocket)
- they're noisier than a steel roof, even when closed
- they let a lot of heat inside in the summer (they are usually UV blocked, but not IR in any car I've been in)
- you can't fully shade many of them. A lot of them have mesh shades so they still let a lot of light in. I tinted our old MINI Clubman's glass roof, and in our Q5 I just stuffed a windshield sunshade over the shade. I removed it recently now that it's cold.
- they can shatter. In some cases this was due to improper heat tempering or due to excessive flex in the body structure. In others it's due to rocks impacting the glass roof.
- when it's noon, the sun can shine right down on you and can't be prevented if you have a crappy shad.
- when I first got my car with a moonroof I sunburned my forehead... lol
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1915 posts
857 upvotes
Montreal
If it's there I won't avoid it, but I won't pay any extra for it.

Actually I would probably avoid the type with semi transparent shades.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5959 posts
1678 upvotes
Canada
Oh man, "sunroofs" .. never understood people's love of these. It in no way an alternative to a proper convertible, and you get better air flow cracking open a side-window.

One of the most unneeded options on my shopping list.

My 2 cents.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5245 posts
1445 upvotes
Kootenays
Mine has sat outside for its entire life without a problem. I did check with my insurer (BCAA) to be sure the roof would be covered under my glass coverage. They said it would be covered in the event it was ever cracked/shattered, the same as my windshield and the rest of the glass in the car. It wouldn't be covered for mechanical issues, of course.