Careers

Should you include that you graduated debt-free on resume for first job?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2014 5:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
primetimey wrote: Terrible idea, you will sound very self-centered.
I agree. It is unbelievably presumptuous to put something like that on a resume.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
red_skittles wrote: Should I include the fact that I financed my undergraduate degree through part-time and summer employment and was able to graduate without the need for student loans? My thinking is that a statement like this demonstrates a certain level of discipline, independence and forethought that employers will admire. I'm just not sure if it would be appropriate to include something like this on a resume
It demonstrates that you lived with your parents.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Laphroaig wrote: Absolutely not - nobody cares, and as someone said it might actually be a downside as they want 'hungrier' applicants (read: less likely to quit for greener pastures).

They likely won't do credit checks unless your job is bonded and requires you to deal with money (ie. Brinks truck guy).
.. and for good reason. Canada does not have a culture of screening applicants based on credit history unless the job absolutely calls for such a check to be done. This is right and forward policy, as those who need employment the most should not be screened for high debt load. That's a low form of discrimination.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Sep 28, 2013
836 posts
625 upvotes
I'm normally tolerant of all sorts of questions....but are you f**kin kidding me? Why don't you put your horoscope on there as well?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Wigglepuppy wrote: Eek! Definitely not! Tons of employers now do credit checks prior to hiring to make sure you're *not* heavily indebted. Motivation/temptation to steal from the workplace is a big reason. It also says a lot about your level of personal responsibility.
Have bad credit and being in debt are two seperate entities.
Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote: Have bad credit and being in debt are two seperate entities.
Pulling a credit report shows credit rating, and balances owing. An employer would be concerned with both.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Nope... Doubt they'll care
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7083 posts
5213 upvotes
They'll likely move on to the next candidate.

Wow, you have no debt to speak of?

You don't sound like someone who will work for low wage for an extended period of time.

They will say something along the lines of: We wish you luck in your continued search for employment. You don't meet the qualification of having the fear of being unemployed.

Think about why all those Tim Horton's and McDonald's always have signs out.

Got to keep those workers in fear. An employee without fear of losing their job and being unable to pay bills is very dangerous to a company's bottom line indeed. They may leave for a better workplace or ask for a raise.

The nerve. Paying more for individuals to do a job that no one wants? What do they think this is?
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
PartnerSolutions wrote: They will. They'll think he's a tool.
+1 /Thread
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1180 posts
114 upvotes
I include my bank account balance on all applications to show how serious I am. And to show that pathetic low compensation won't be tolerated.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1034 posts
153 upvotes
bruizeman wrote: I include my bank account balance on all applications to show how serious I am. And to show that pathetic low compensation won't be tolerated.
i usually write down some things my ancestors did too to let them know they aren't just reading anybody's resume
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1180 posts
114 upvotes
boredsilly wrote: i usually write down some things my ancestors did too to let them know they aren't just reading anybody's resume
That's pretty good too. I didn't really know my ancestors.

I also changed my address from 'Suite 3829' to 'PH3829' to show that I ain't a regular schmuck.
Nov 15, 2006
900 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Will give you a pass since this is obviously your first "real" job, but for heaven's sake, please don't put that on a resume.

That's just as bad as a guy (who should have known better) that I had to interview last week. He had various "charity" things he had done --- all of which were clearly associated with university/fraternity (car wash, shaved his head for cancer research, walk-a-thon, etc.) Guy was CLEARLY a couple decades removed from uni once all of his work experience was mentioned at the interview a timeline pretty easily constructed. I suggested that putting something your frat brahs made you do once a couple decades earlier on a resume is really not cool and makes the people interviewing you not want to hire you.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
red_skittles wrote: Should I include the fact that I financed my undergraduate degree through part-time and summer employment and was able to graduate without the need for student loans? My thinking is that a statement like this demonstrates a certain level of discipline, independence and forethought that employers will admire. I'm just not sure if it would be appropriate to include something like this on a resume
OldMarriedGuy wrote: No. In fact employers would probably rather hire someone with a huge debt. Why? They NEED the job and would be more likely to stay in the position because they have to pay off their debt. Where you would be more likely to quit/move elsewhere as you wouldn't rely on the paycheck as heavily.
Also, putting a statement like that on your resume gives the pretense that you think you're better than your peers. Nobody likes 'that guy'.
Wigglepuppy wrote: Eek! Definitely not! Tons of employers now do credit checks prior to hiring to make sure you're *not* heavily indebted. Motivation/temptation to steal from the workplace is a big reason. It also says a lot about your level of personal responsibility.
Seems like a double-edged sword to me. It is 100% true that *some* places prefer their employees to be in debt and prefer they also be married and have kids because that employee is perceived as being more compliant. They'll put up with more **** in the workplace versus a single person with no debts because they need to feed their debts and their family.

On the other hand, some companies realise that debt can be a big personal problem. If someone is constantly having money fights with their spouse, will they be focused on work? How does constant worry about debt and getting hounded by collectors affect your sleep? Will you get any work done when you are barely sleeping due to debt anxiety? Graduating debt-free can be a sign that you are organized, disciplined, mature and you have few distractions in your life.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
I'll bite.

On the resume no, but it's something you can bring up in an interview if you phrase it correctly. I've been asked in interviews what I feel are some of my biggest accomplishments so this is where I would say "working 3 jobs during university that led to me graduating debt free" or whatever was your case.

Led to 2 job offers in the past.

Oh and I didn't live at home in my case.
Dec 4, 2012
235 posts
386 upvotes
Calgary
Agree with most of the ppl on here. Your financial situation is your business, not theirs. Also, EVERY ONE is different and has different opinions.. you don't know what they will think of you putting on the resume. It could go either way, and IMO it's not worth the risk at all. I'd skip it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)