Automotive

Is shoulder checking necessary?

Jul 28, 2008
702 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto

Is shoulder checking necessary?

I was in the car with my uncle today and noticed that he wasn't shoulder checking before changing lanes. I was surprised because he's one of the best drivers that I know (he's never been in a collision to the best of my knowledge either). When I asked him about it, he told me that it's not necessary if you set up your side-view mirrors correctly. He drove in the small streets of Paris for 15+ years and told me that it's a standard practice there. Does anyone have an opinion about this?
45 replies
Oct 27, 2008
657 posts
6 upvotes
he setup his side mirror outward to see the blind spot but that doesnt catch a car changing to the lane of his blind spot.
Jul 20, 2007
275 posts
34 upvotes
I've setup my mirros outward as well, but for my Odyssey, the pillars are a bit thick, and there is a blind spot which still requires the need to shoulder check.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3470 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Changing mirrors only CHANGES and/or MINIMIZE blind spots, so yeah, you should check over your shoulders.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
I was in the car with my uncle today and noticed that he wasn't shoulder checking before changing lanes. I was surprised because he's one of the best drivers that I know
lol-skers.
May 19, 2008
732 posts
6 upvotes
if he has blind spot mirrors, shoulder checking is almost un-needed but a good habit to get, he may have not been in a collision, but those people he cut off probably hit something, he is just lucky it wasn't him they hit

this kind of people are the worst thing to have on the road.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5450 posts
288 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
CdTriX wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 12:40 am
always

/thread
"Checking your blindspot" -- yes. Because cars, bikes, people can always occupy that tiny space that you can't see with mirrors.

You live n Vaugan buddy, come on. You always look that way anyways when you park up at a tim horton's and chat.
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Mar 2, 2009
278 posts
18 upvotes
Maple Ridge
i agree that you should always shoulder check if you can, but i also think it is important to know how to use your mirrors properly. i never fully utilized my mirrors until i started driving a van occasionally that had no rear windows. shoulder checking was useless in that thing and you had to rely entirely on mirrors.

i think the more important thing is to constantly be aware of your surroundings. i for one check all my mirrors regularly to keep an eye on everything happening around me as i drive. i still shoulder check in my jeep when changing lanes because i can but i am rarely caught by surprise. still, it's that 1% of the time that counts.......
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
Friday5PM wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 1:05 am
he setup his side mirror outward to see the blind spot but that doesnt catch a car changing to the lane of his blind spot.
+1

The OP's uncle has probably gotten away with this bad habit because other drivers are avoiding him. IOW, he's been fortunate to have a clear accident record if he frequently drives without checking.

Always always shoulder check - especially important to remember this when turning right as bikes and pedestrians do not always behave as we expect them to.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3287 posts
293 upvotes
Well the thing is .. if you don't check your blind spot and causing an accident, chance is you are the one at fault.

I don't feel comfortable if I don't check it. It's a good habit though like others said.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
maybe he has an audi which has the lane change assist. It lights up letting you know someone is in your blind spot. It works, must of the time, but you should always check.

Mind you, i think it's possible to be a very good driver even though you don't check.. Maybe he's always aware. But to be honest, it's always best to check, just in case :)
Jun 4, 2006
426 posts
1 upvote
Always check it, even if you think your mirrors cover everything. It's a good habit to have. What if you have to drive someone else's car for whatever reason that don't have the same mirror setup?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1863 posts
2 upvotes
If you dont want to get into a car accident, yes. If not, no.
× < >