Fashion & Apparel

SHOW US your M2M 'bespoke' SUIT Thread ... Maxwell, Indochino, IM-label, Empire, etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 1:10 pm
Tags:
May 6, 2005
866 posts
12 upvotes
I'm looking into Suitsupply, but when I happened upon the prices for T-shirts, they're charging $59!
If they're ripping you off on t-shirts, what else is a rip off from them?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1620 posts
371 upvotes
North York
huskylord wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2016 2:09 am
I'm looking into Suitsupply, but when I happened upon the prices for T-shirts, they're charging $59!
Lol thats nothing. $60 is normal when kanye's white tee sells out at $120. My best experience for OTR is still Suit Supply.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2777 posts
198 upvotes
random pattern wrote:This seems the right thread to post my questions, so here goes.

Where should I be shopping for suits if I only want to spend about $800-$1000?

I don't need/want anything crazy. My suits are pretty much for work, I'm pretty conservative, and I only wear dark colours - navy, charcoal grey, dark pinstripes etc. (I know pretty boring.) Most of my suits have been Coppley/Cambridge/Keithmoor with a couple of Paul Bettenly from Gotstyle. I liked the Paul Bettenly suits/prices but I didn't like the Gotstyle store/staff.

I'm pretty "loyal" to where I'll buy from (but I'll likely only be buying about 2 suits a year) and don't mind if the place is not the best price - but I don't want to get ripped off and I want a place where I'll get decent service and honest, non-snooty advice on what to purchase. Too much to ask for given what I want to spend?

I don't need shirts because I'm happy with the Brooks Brothers non-iron.

Suggestions?
TodayHello wrote:
random pattern wrote:
Jun 7th, 2015 12:27 am
This seems the right thread to post my questions, so here goes.

Where should I be shopping for suits if I only want to spend about $800-$1000?

I don't need/want anything crazy. My suits are pretty much for work, I'm pretty conservative, and I only wear dark colours - navy, charcoal grey, dark pinstripes etc. (I know pretty boring.) Most of my suits have been Coppley/Cambridge/Keithmoor with a couple of Paul Bettenly from Gotstyle. I liked the Paul Bettenly suits/prices but I didn't like the Gotstyle store/staff.

I'm pretty "loyal" to where I'll buy from (but I'll likely only be buying about 2 suits a year) and don't mind if the place is not the best price - but I don't want to get ripped off and I want a place where I'll get decent service and honest, non-snooty advice on what to purchase. Too much to ask for given what I want to spend?

I don't need shirts because I'm happy with the Brooks Brothers non-iron.

Suggestions?
Brooks Brothers suits.

Solid Mon-Fri workhorses that will last you 2+ years of 2x a week wear.

The 2 suits for $1850 deal is great (reg. $1200/suit), and even better with the occasional 15%+ discount during mid-year and Christmas sales. Free lifetime alterations and great customer service.

I've since moved on to a bespoke tailor, but still have 4-5 Brooks Brother suits in the rotation.
I ended up going to Brooks Brothers a couple of times but not ordering anything. Just was not getting great vibes for what I'm looking for. So in the next few weeks plan on getting off my butt (hopefully!) and going too Moderation and/or Spier & Mackay. Both seem like the small type of store that'll work for me at a value/price point (upped what I'm willing to spend a little, but still don't want to go over $1500 plus tax) that I'm comfortable with. Plus, both have locations in Mississauga which means I can pop out on a weekday at lunch or in the afternoon (I work in the west).

Anyone in particular at either store that I should make sure I deal with, or is everyone there pretty good? I will definitely need some handholding so while I don't mind spending (a little!), I want to make sure I'm dealing with someone who knows what they're doing/recommending... I'm assuming if I'm clear that I'm not particularly fashion forward, they can still make me something suitable (I.e. No super skinny styles, ankle length pants etc.!).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7850 posts
743 upvotes
huskylord wrote:
Why would you cross shop T-shirts at a suit store? That's like saying Costco as a whole is a ripoff because their cherries are $5 more expensive than No Frills.
Banned
Apr 14, 2016
102 posts
13 upvotes
I concur and wonder if the poster has checked out Walmart , old Navy or H&M yet?
As for the Kanye Tees, why on earth will anyone put money in that buffoon`s pocket?
uber_shnitz wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2016 6:50 pm
huskylord wrote:
Why would you cross shop T-shirts at a suit store? That's like saying Costco as a whole is a ripoff because their cherries are $5 more expensive than No Frills.
Nov 11, 2006
18 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Ordered a custom suit through Spier and Mackay, and I wanted to share my experience:

Ordered my suit on June 17th. Was told it would be in by 6-8 weeks. Suit got in at Aug 13th (I had to call them, since it was beyond the 8 week mark by then). During that same call, I asked if the Mississauga store had any 14.5 white French cuff shirts OTR, and if they did, if they were able to send it down to the Toronto store the following Saturday when I can pick up my suit (as I am 2.5 hours out of town). They confirmed they have the shirts available and will have no problem sending some down.

The following week on Aug 20th I came to Toronto to check my suit and its fitting. Some adjustments had to be made, but they forgot the French cuff shirts. I asked them to send my suit after alterations to the Mississauga store, where I'll pick it up in two weeks, as I was hoping to check out their French cuff shirts.

Two days after that on Aug 22nd, I called the Toronto store to let them know to not send my altered suit to Mississauga as I realized I would have to do other wedding stuff in downtown when I hope to pick up my suit on Sept 3rd. I asked once again if it was possible to send the French cuff shirt and they told me it was no problem.

On Sept 1st, I called to make sure my suit was at the Toronto store and that the French cuff shirts would be sent. They confirmed the suit is at the store, and they haven't seen the French cuff shirts but they'll call to make sure it gets down on the Saturday.

On Sept 3rd, I went down to the Toronto store and they did not have my suit there - they had accidentally sent it to Mississauga. There were no French cuff shirts there either, and I was told they had none at the Mississauga store. If they had told me in the first place that it's too troublesome to send the French cuff shirts, I would have had no problem, but it was promises after promises being broken, and not even bothering to inform me even though they had my number. One of the employees kindly offered to get my suit from the Mississauga store and deliver to me that night as I was going to be near his home. He eventually delivered it as promised, but I did not have a chance to try it on as he came late and I was leaving the area. I opened up the suit to try on the next day, and I found that there were still pins in the pant legs, and it appears the pant alterations were not completed.

This was an incredibly frustrating experience. I would caution anyone else to give any business there, especially for anyone that's out of town like myself where I will have to once again take time to come to Toronto and get this sorted out while my wedding date looms closer.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2747 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
pyl111 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 1:21 am
Ordered a custom suit through Spier and Mackay, and I wanted to share my experience:

Ordered my suit on June 17th. Was told it would be in by 6-8 weeks. Suit got in at Aug 13th (I had to call them, since it was beyond the 8 week mark by then). During that same call, I asked if the Mississauga store had any 14.5 white French cuff shirts OTR, and if they did, if they were able to send it down to the Toronto store the following Saturday when I can pick up my suit (as I am 2.5 hours out of town). They confirmed they have the shirts available and will have no problem sending some down.

The following week on Aug 20th I came to Toronto to check my suit and its fitting. Some adjustments had to be made, but they forgot the French cuff shirts. I asked them to send my suit after alterations to the Mississauga store, where I'll pick it up in two weeks, as I was hoping to check out their French cuff shirts.

Two days after that on Aug 22nd, I called the Toronto store to let them know to not send my altered suit to Mississauga as I realized I would have to do other wedding stuff in downtown when I hope to pick up my suit on Sept 3rd. I asked once again if it was possible to send the French cuff shirt and they told me it was no problem.

On Sept 1st, I called to make sure my suit was at the Toronto store and that the French cuff shirts would be sent. They confirmed the suit is at the store, and they haven't seen the French cuff shirts but they'll call to make sure it gets down on the Saturday.

On Sept 3rd, I went down to the Toronto store and they did not have my suit there - they had accidentally sent it to Mississauga. There were no French cuff shirts there either, and I was told they had none at the Mississauga store. If they had told me in the first place that it's too troublesome to send the French cuff shirts, I would have had no problem, but it was promises after promises being broken, and not even bothering to inform me even though they had my number. One of the employees kindly offered to get my suit from the Mississauga store and deliver to me that night as I was going to be near his home. He eventually delivered it as promised, but I did not have a chance to try it on as he came late and I was leaving the area. I opened up the suit to try on the next day, and I found that there were still pins in the pant legs, and it appears the pant alterations were not completed.

This was an incredibly frustrating experience. I would caution anyone else to give any business there, especially for anyone that's out of town like myself where I will have to once again take time to come to Toronto and get this sorted out while my wedding date looms closer.
I've had a frustrating experience with my last two orders, mainly around poor communication causing delays.
Don't think I'm going back to Mississauga any more, just downtown where i can work with Rick.
May 12, 2008
294 posts
38 upvotes
Spier and McKay is pushing really good product. They're always looking for feedback on their clothing and actually listening to what improvements can be made. Anyone who follows their styleforum thread can attest to this.

However their customer service experience lags behind. Emails are always put on the back burner and you have to PM Rick to get any sort of reply. Even small companies should be able to get this right.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1620 posts
371 upvotes
North York
Can definitely agree. Bought a jacket from their sale a month back, had it shipped to the Toronto locations without hassle, got it altered and everything, decided to buy another one on the spot. It was supposed to be ready in two weeks but for some reason, they had troubles with their tailor and it wasn't ready by 4 weeks. Contacted Rick and got my money back. Rick is on the ball, consistency is key.

I've had superb customer service at Suit Supply. Offers of coffee or water. First type fittings and alterations are a breeze. I've had a gentlemen get on his knee and help me tie my laces. The only thing is that SS can get super busy and their sales people are running around. They can probably use some extra help at busy hours. Suggest that anyone doing wedding party purchases should contact them and make an appointment.
Jul 23, 2012
330 posts
70 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I'm acutely aware of the ongoing CS issues. I'll personally be spending a lot more time at the DT location starting this week to oversee daily operations there. Simple issues like shirt transfers should not be an epic battle to get done. We have been chipping away and constantly training new online only CS staff to handle email inquires where previously these duties were carried out by the the regular CS staff. My #1 priority right now is to get CS corrected immediately.

I encourage anyone who is having any issues with CS to PM me directly. This will helps me to identity the problems and to get issues resolved quicker. It actually helps me improve our service.

Thanks,
Rick
Feb 25, 2012
119 posts
4 upvotes
Austin
The OTR suits and waistcoats are well priced at SuitSupply, as well as some topcoats. Everything else I felt was a bit overpriced, but every single thing was top top quality. The customer service is amazing and the tailoring is spot on if quite expensive. I appreciate how they have kept their pricing the same even though CAD has depreciated. Its gotten really busy now as they are really popular, I will probably wait for the US online outlet to open and grab a couple of jackets and get them tailored.
Feb 26, 2009
703 posts
97 upvotes
ruff6708 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 5:08 pm
The OTR suits and waistcoats are well priced at SuitSupply, as well as some topcoats. Everything else I felt was a bit overpriced, but every single thing was top top quality. The customer service is amazing and the tailoring is spot on if quite expensive. I appreciate how they have kept their pricing the same even though CAD has depreciated. Its gotten really busy now as they are really popular, I will probably wait for the US online outlet to open and grab a couple of jackets and get them tailored.
I'd like to hear more about what you think it over priced at S&M. I myself find their offerings great value for money, especially the shirts.

As for tailoring cost, I used their tailoring and found them to be at par if not slightly less than my usual go-to alteration place.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2747 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Bellyhungry wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 8:12 am
ruff6708 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 5:08 pm
I'd like to hear more about what you think it over priced at S&M. I myself find their offerings great value for money, especially the shirts.

As for tailoring cost, I used their tailoring and found them to be at par if not slightly less than my usual go-to alteration place.
he's talking about suitsupply.

spier and mackay is hands down the best bang for your buck.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7850 posts
743 upvotes
Well to be fair, lots of stores have items that are well priced and others which are priced a bit higher. A good suit shop should first and foremost have good suits priced well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)