Fashion & Apparel

SHOW US your M2M 'bespoke' SUIT Thread ... Maxwell, Indochino, IM-label, Empire, etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 5:34 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4299 posts
496 upvotes
I went to visit S&M downtown this afternoon. Honestly other than their shirts, the suits are, give or take, similar to the offerings by SuitSupply. The suits are all half canvased, made in China so that's where the savings come from. If you're the 20 something then these will be fine because you'll look like a million bucks in front of your friends.

I've had very good luck with shopping at the HR Outlet for my RLBL blazer. I will definitely keep a close on on them when they have sales.
Feb 26, 2009
703 posts
97 upvotes
hdave wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 12:01 pm
Bellyhungry wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 8:12 am
ruff6708 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 5:08 pm
The OTR suits and waistcoats are well priced at SuitSupply, as well as some topcoats. Everything else I felt was a bit overpriced, but every single thing was top top quality. The customer service is amazing and the tailoring is spot on if quite expensive. I appreciate how they have kept their pricing the same even though CAD has depreciated. Its gotten really busy now as they are really popular, I will probably wait for the US online outlet to open and grab a couple of jackets and get them tailored.
I'd like to hear more about what you think it over priced at S&M. I myself find their offerings great value for money, especially the shirts.

As for tailoring cost, I used their tailoring and found them to be at par if not slightly less than my usual go-to alteration place.
he's talking about suitsupply.

spier and mackay is hands down the best bang for your buck.
My bad. Thanks for clarifying.
Apr 17, 2013
780 posts
103 upvotes
Markham
mebiuspower wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 6:24 pm
I went to visit S&M downtown this afternoon. Honestly other than their shirts, the suits are, give or take, similar to the offerings by SuitSupply. The suits are all half canvased, made in China so that's where the savings come from. If you're the 20 something then these will be fine because you'll look like a million bucks in front of your friends.

I've had very good luck with shopping at the HR Outlet for my RLBL blazer. I will definitely keep a close on on them when they have sales.
Well S&M is still newish and is growing. What I really appreciate about Rick is that he listens to the clients needs and makes the necessary changes. The suit I posted, I really really love. The buttons could be changed out though

Edit.. His shirts are hands down the best value in the Canadian market. I don't need to spend money on going MTM anymore
PSN - Meditech82
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4299 posts
496 upvotes
Meditech82 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 10:26 am
Well S&M is still newish and is growing. What I really appreciate about Rick is that he listens to the clients needs and makes the necessary changes. The suit I posted, I really really love. The buttons could be changed out though

Edit.. His shirts are hands down the best value in the Canadian market. I don't need to spend money on going MTM anymore
If you're happy, then that's all it matters.

Once you get into the full canvas, made in Italy category it's a slippery slope. It's almost just like shoes going from AE to Vass/EG/GG/JL. lol.

S&M/SS are fine if you just want to walk in and buy something. I am at the point where finding deals is a lot more thrilling. I just went to HR Outlet and found a RLBL suit that's the exact size/colour I want, now the fun part is to wait for it to go on sale, and then some more sale. lol.
Apr 17, 2013
780 posts
103 upvotes
Markham
mebiuspower wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 4:54 pm
Meditech82 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 10:26 am

If you're happy, then that's all it matters.

Once you get into the full canvas, made in Italy category it's a slippery slope. It's almost just like shoes going from AE to Vass/EG/GG/JL. lol.

S&M/SS are fine if you just want to walk in and buy something. I am at the point where finding deals is a lot more thrilling. I just went to HR Outlet and found a RLBL suit that's the exact size/colour I want, now the fun part is to wait for it to go on sale, and then some more sale. lol.
LOL.. Funny you say that, I'm looking to purchase a pair of Meermins shortly. I'm always going to be a bargain hunter, so anywhere that provides value, I'm going to be a fan of.

I believe my suit wearing days are over for this year. So now it's on to shoe purchases
PSN - Meditech82
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4299 posts
496 upvotes
My RLBL blazer retail for $1600. I got it for 25% of that cost. Will apply same strategy on this RLBL suit I saw today.
May 12, 2008
294 posts
38 upvotes
Which HR outlet is best? heartland or Vaughan mills? I've only visited the former.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4299 posts
496 upvotes
Heartland is at least 3-4 times the size of Vaughan Mills location. But VM is closer to me so that's where I go.
Nov 17, 2012
797 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
I've bought my last 3 suits at Sydney's and been quite happy with them. Shirts I get from Spier & Mackay and I like their fit and price point.

My most recent suit is a Samuelsohn from Sydney's, which I get in a week or so. Fully canvased jacket and it fit very well off the rack, so some small adjustments being done and it should be good.

I travel with the suits and the Sydney's have packed well. Hope the new one travels as nicely.

20+ years ago all my suits were Maxwell's (my family got to know him doing business in Hong Kong so I started getting suits from them back in the early 90's when I wore one every day). Took a 15 year break from suits, but jumped back into that world a year ago and needed some new ones quickly hence the jump to a local shop like Sydney's. I might get back on with Maxwell's next time they come through Toronto and at least update my 20 year old measurements :)
Nov 11, 2006
18 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
pyl111 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 1:21 am
Ordered a custom suit through Spier and Mackay, and I wanted to share my experience:

Ordered my suit on June 17th. Was told it would be in by 6-8 weeks. Suit got in at Aug 13th (I had to call them, since it was beyond the 8 week mark by then). During that same call, I asked if the Mississauga store had any 14.5 white French cuff shirts OTR, and if they did, if they were able to send it down to the Toronto store the following Saturday when I can pick up my suit (as I am 2.5 hours out of town). They confirmed they have the shirts available and will have no problem sending some down.

The following week on Aug 20th I came to Toronto to check my suit and its fitting. Some adjustments had to be made, but they forgot the French cuff shirts. I asked them to send my suit after alterations to the Mississauga store, where I'll pick it up in two weeks, as I was hoping to check out their French cuff shirts.

Two days after that on Aug 22nd, I called the Toronto store to let them know to not send my altered suit to Mississauga as I realized I would have to do other wedding stuff in downtown when I hope to pick up my suit on Sept 3rd. I asked once again if it was possible to send the French cuff shirt and they told me it was no problem.

On Sept 1st, I called to make sure my suit was at the Toronto store and that the French cuff shirts would be sent. They confirmed the suit is at the store, and they haven't seen the French cuff shirts but they'll call to make sure it gets down on the Saturday.

On Sept 3rd, I went down to the Toronto store and they did not have my suit there - they had accidentally sent it to Mississauga. There were no French cuff shirts there either, and I was told they had none at the Mississauga store. If they had told me in the first place that it's too troublesome to send the French cuff shirts, I would have had no problem, but it was promises after promises being broken, and not even bothering to inform me even though they had my number. One of the employees kindly offered to get my suit from the Mississauga store and deliver to me that night as I was going to be near his home. He eventually delivered it as promised, but I did not have a chance to try it on as he came late and I was leaving the area. I opened up the suit to try on the next day, and I found that there were still pins in the pant legs, and it appears the pant alterations were not completed.

This was an incredibly frustrating experience. I would caution anyone else to give any business there, especially for anyone that's out of town like myself where I will have to once again take time to come to Toronto and get this sorted out while my wedding date looms closer.
Just an update - I got contacted by Rick shortly after this post, and he was quick, professional, and to the point. He got everything sorted out for me, and I went in this past Saturday and everything went smoothly.
Sep 5, 2006
242 posts
21 upvotes
I see maxwell is back in Markham/Toronto. I have heard decent reviews over the quality of their shirts and but worse with their suits in recent years
If I'm trying to stay below 80$ range per shirt what would be my best bet in Toronto area / East GTA
Apr 17, 2013
780 posts
103 upvotes
Markham
Bioflare wrote:
Sep 13th, 2016 8:41 am
I see maxwell is back in Markham/Toronto. I have heard decent reviews over the quality of their shirts and but worse with their suits in recent years
If I'm trying to stay below 80$ range per shirt what would be my best bet in Toronto area / East GTA
OTR or MTM? OTR there is no better value than Spier and Mackay. MTM, I really don't have a clue. I stopped buying MTM since I filled out my clothes and things fit me OTR
PSN - Meditech82
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2817 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
I met someone recently who went to China and got a suit for $75.00, maybe it's worth flying there for custom suits? Turn around was three days.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1461 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
scoobydoo wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 3:15 pm
I met someone recently who went to China and got a suit for $75.00, maybe it's worth flying there for custom suits? Turn around was three days.
Ouch make me feel bad that I spent $1k or $1.2k, memory foggy, on my 3 piece 'bespoke' from Senli and Frye in Beijing a number of years ago.

It's more aggressively fitted than my full canvas MTM from Spier and Mackay.
Nov 30, 2014
48 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Gonna be looking for a tuxedo for my wedding next year.. Anybody know how rental tuxedos fit?

Still debating whether to rent a tuxedo or buy one. I do not want to spend a crazy amount.