Fashion & Beauty

SHOW US your M2M 'bespoke' SUIT Thread ... Maxwell, Indochino, IM-label, Empire, etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2023 3:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2004
1352 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
chicken_little wrote: Being relatively short as well, I gave Brown's a look the other day. Wow...they have size 36" suits in short and extra short cuts, 30" sleeves dress shirts, and 5.5 size dress shoes. I didn't realize these sizes exist. Wasn't in the market for anything so didn't pick up anything this time.

http://www.shortmanbrowns.com
I've been to that store. While they cater to shorter men, you will be out of luck if you are skinny and looking for 34" suits or 14" (neck size) shirts.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
chicken_little wrote: Being relatively short as well, I gave Brown's a look the other day. Wow...they have size 36" suits in short and extra short cuts, 30" sleeves dress shirts, and 5.5 size dress shoes. I didn't realize these sizes exist. Wasn't in the market for anything so didn't pick up anything this time.

http://www.shortmanbrowns.com
36 short is pretty common on normal menswear stores. Even places like Tip Top or Moores have that size.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Just came back from Im-Label Toronto after getting measured for my 1st MTM suit. Very good experience, the stylist who worked with me was friendly,knowledgeable, and gave insightful suggestions.

Even though this location is based out of a hotel suite, which might seem shady at first, it is a very professional, store like setting. From the experience alone, would buy again. Now just gotta wait for the suit.
Aug 22, 2007
770 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
5'8 - 5'9
33-34 waist
RTW, I fit 40R slim or 38R non slim
I work out a bit - love deadlifts and pullups

First MTM suit full canvas 2pc navy blue super 150s.

Navy blue one came back and I've kinda got mixed feelings. This one was with Peter Parvez since there was a Teambuy coupon going on and the reviews on these forums seemed good.

The shoulders is whats bothering me and when I brought it up, the tailor said he gave me more shoulder room because my shoulders are very broad.

Personally I think my RTW suits fit better in the shoulder area...

Need your expertise! Thanks :) tried posting on styleforums but looks like i'm too noob to start threads there.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img688/7/a111d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img29/7284/a222v.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img824/1525/a333g.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img845/251/a444u.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img694/2310/a555.jpg[/IMG]

horrible phone camera pics before putting on the dress shirt:

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img805/7971/444i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img834/5635/333fk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img255/3987/222klp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img560/435/111pp.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
^I wonder what everybody else thinks but the shoulders are too wide on both IMO.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
mebiuspower wrote: ^I wonder what everybody else thinks but the shoulders are too wide on both IMO.
Definitely.
Aug 22, 2007
770 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
mebiuspower wrote: ^I wonder what everybody else thinks but the shoulders are too wide on both IMO.
They're the same suit, just one set of pictures is too dark and the other set is too fuzzy lol.

When I first put them on, the shoulders were already bothering me. Should have went with my gut and told him to change it.
Oct 25, 2012
204 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
I'm not expert but the shoulders look bulky..Sleeves are too short as well. Are both suits from the group buy?
PSN - Meditech82
Jan 28, 2012
448 posts
36 upvotes
xdragus wrote: They're the same suit, just one set of pictures is too dark and the other set is too fuzzy lol.

When I first put them on, the shoulders were already bothering me. Should have went with my gut and told him to change it.
I agree with the previous poster. Shoulders are wide and sleeves are a bit short. Personally, I wouldn't accept this one.

I have had suits from Indochino and IM-Label. The one I got from Indochino was similar to the one you have now. The shoulders were wide but my sleeves were long. I got the alternation credit from Indochino and got a local tailor to fix it.

The suits I got from IM-label fit well on my shoulders and sleeves lengths are good. The problems were the mid-section, which were too loose. I got them taken in, a relatively simple fix.
Aug 22, 2007
770 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
dsattaur wrote: I'm not expert but the shoulders look bulky..Sleeves are too short as well. Are both suits from the group buy?
Jacket sleeves length are fine. Probably slightly back from arm movement earlier that made it bunch up.

The jacket is a little short now that I look at it and was mentioned in another forum (ask andy) since it doesn't cover up my butt.

The pictures above are just one suit and it was from a Teambuy deal. The other suit i'm waiting for is from IM Label (IM prestige line) and should arrive end of this month. Wanted to find a decent MTM place so these first suits are testing the waters to see which place my money should go to long term. If both turn out bad i'll probably just stick to off the rack suits with slight modifications. I was contemplating going bespoke but that's overkill for my needs.

I'm just not looking forward to this potentially ending up being a bad experience with my first MTM suit since Peter did say this was how it was suppose to look. I'm hoping he was just rushed because there was just other customers waiting and made a mistake in sending me off.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
First thing I noticed was the shoulders and sleeves. Shoulders are too big and sleeves could be a tad longer (but it is possible they bunched up a bit, still should sit nicer I think).

If you went to IM at the Richmond Hill location I know Harry wouldn't be one to rush you off. He's very good at ensuring you get what you want and look good in it.
2K6TSX wrote: I visited IM in Richmond Hill with a friend as both of us were looking for 2-3 suits. Needless to say we were extremely disappointed with the service and walked out in minutes. Maybe I was expecting too much but I showed up at a time that was prearranged and the guy had no record of my appointment. I had also indicated interest in (when I booked the appointment) a promo that was going on which I wanted to take advantage of and he told me that I wasn't eligible. This was news to me and should have been made clear when booking the appointment. The guy seemed to have no interest whatsoever in showing us options (silly me was expecting some recommendations as well) and he seemed to not want to answer any questions I had about colours etc. Had they kept some notes on my appointment this probably wouldn't have happened. It's unfortunate as I was planning on spending about $1500-$2k with them if my experience was better. I truly felt like they didn't want my business. I'll also clarify that I had gone straight from work in a full suit so it wasn't like I appeared to be a punk kid or something that wasn't capable of buying. I'll be honest that the thought of my race (not oriental) having an impact did cross my mind as well but I don't know how these guys would stay in business in York region if that were the case.
I was back tracking through the thread since I haven't read it in a while and saw this. I really can't imagine the race aspect playing a roll in the situation. I'm white and never once had an issue dealing with any of the reps there, nor has my brother.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
xdragus wrote: Jacket sleeves length are fine. Probably slightly back from arm movement earlier that made it bunch up.

The jacket is a little short now that I look at it and was mentioned in another forum (ask andy) since it doesn't cover up my butt.

The pictures above are just one suit and it was from a Teambuy deal. The other suit i'm waiting for is from IM Label (IM prestige line) and should arrive end of this month. Wanted to find a decent MTM place so these first suits are testing the waters to see which place my money should go to long term. If both turn out bad i'll probably just stick to off the rack suits with slight modifications. I was contemplating going bespoke but that's overkill for my needs.

I'm just not looking forward to this potentially ending up being a bad experience with my first MTM suit since Peter did say this was how it was suppose to look. I'm hoping he was just rushed because there was just other customers waiting and made a mistake in sending me off.
I got some shirts from him a few months ago and he gave me a quick "it looks great" and a shove out the door too. He definitely doesn't seem interested in making sure the items are perfect, just getting you out of there without doing anymore work. For a "master tailor", or whatever it was he called himself, he clearly should have been able to see the problem with the shoulders.

Overall, my shirts look pretty good, but it is little things, like how he asked if I wanted a roomier neck, and the neck is very snug. Thank god I didn't ask for a normal neck.

The strangest part is that the backs of all of my shirts are darted, which doesn't seem like something that should be happening with MTM shirts. Maybe he received them from the factory and realized they were off, so he just darted them to make them fit.

For shirts that cost less than 50 bucks each(3 for 140), they are not bad. If anyone does use this guy, stay far away from the non iron fabrics. The one shirt he gave me with that fabric feels very very strange, kind of plastic like.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
I have to ask, what's the need for MTM shirts? There are plenty of sizes & fit for dress shirts unless you're a midget, Rambo or Michelin Man, it defeats the whole purpose other than if you want some specific colour or pattern.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: I have to ask, what's the need for MTM shirts? There are plenty of sizes & fit for dress shirts unless you're Rambo or 300+lbs, it defeats the whole purpose other than if you want some specific colour or pattern.
A good custom made shirt will fit way better than something just based on neck, arms, and skinny vs regular. It is especially great if you want that slim/trim but not tight look, since it can be hard to get shirts to fit exactly right if you are not exactly the same as the model.

As with all of these budget MTM places, workmanship and materials are generally not quite the same as the off the rack price equivalent.

Honestly, I think for my next shirts I will try out the Hudson Room shirts.
Dec 3, 2012
139 posts
7 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: I have to ask, what's the need for MTM shirts? There are plenty of sizes & fit for dress shirts unless you're a midget, Rambo or Michelin Man, it defeats the whole purpose other than if you want some specific colour or pattern.
I have about 20 MTM shirts.

The reason why I decided to go MTM instead of Brooks Brothers is because I wear a suit/tie Monday to Friday. Off the Rack shirts (14/14.5/15 or S/M) don't fit me well around the neck. Either too loose or I can't close the neck button.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
BornRuff wrote: A good custom made shirt will fit way better than something just based on neck, arms, and skinny vs regular. It is especially great if you want that slim/trim but not tight look, since it can be hard to get shirts to fit exactly right if you are not exactly the same as the model.

As with all of these budget MTM places, workmanship and materials are generally not quite the same as the off the rack price equivalent.

Honestly, I think for my next shirts I will try out the Hudson Room shirts.
If you think MTM shirts = custom made shirts well I have news for you. Look up MTM vs bespoke articles discussing the difference between these two things.

Shirts don't have to fit perfect because you are always wearing a suit jacket or sports coat/blazer, hence why it's more important to have a properly fitted jacket than a shirt.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
I love the way my two Indochino shirts fit and look (and the bonus was that they were included in my suit package at no extra cost), but I don't know if I would pony up $79 + tax for another shirt. And those are their least expensive offerings too, with $99 shirts and premium $159 shirts now available. :-0

Therefore, I would be open to off-the-rack that won't cost an arm and a leg, if you have any suggestions for brick and mortar stores. You do bring up a good point about the majority of the shirt being hidden under the jacket anyway. :)
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: If you think MTM shirts = custom made shirts well I have news for you. Look up MTM vs bespoke articles.

Shirts doesn't have to fit perfect because you should always be wearing a suit jacket or a sports coat/blazer, hence why it's more important to have a properly fitted jacket than a shirt.
Semantics my friend. I did not say bespoke now did I?

Sure, if you always wear a jacket, then the fit of your shirt is a lot less important. Most people don't subscribe to that rule though. Dress pants and dress shirt on its own is pretty standard office apparel these days.
Aug 22, 2007
770 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
mebiuspower wrote: I have to ask, what's the need for MTM shirts? There are plenty of sizes & fit for dress shirts unless you're a midget, Rambo or Michelin Man, it defeats the whole purpose other than if you want some specific colour or pattern.
I'm a tiny rambo.

Even on fitted or slim shirts i'm at 16.5 and 34. Neck is a little snug but going up to 17 makes it too big....forearm/bicep/arm fit is tight but the back still has too much room. If I go the regular 16.5/34...I am pretty much a walking loose box which can even hide solid snake with only the neck/shoulders looking fitted.

That's the only reason I decided to try MTM and to at least dress a bit better this year since i'm getting old...almost 31 :(
Dec 3, 2012
139 posts
7 upvotes
xdragus wrote: I'm a tiny rambo.

Even on fitted or slim shirts i'm at 16.5 and 34. Neck is a little snug but going up to 17 makes it too big....forearm/bicep/arm fit is tight but the back still has too much room. If I go the regular 16.5/34...I am pretty much a walking loose box which can even hide solid snake with only the neck/shoulders looking fitted.

That's the only reason I decided to try MTM and to at least dress a bit better this year since i'm getting old...almost 31 :(
This comment is better than what I wrote. I especially enjoyed the solid snake reference. Well Done.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)