Shower - Pressure Balance Loop

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2010 7:56 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 30, 2009
25 posts

Shower - Pressure Balance Loop

Can someone please explain how to create the best pressure balance loop for 3 bodysprays?

The following is what I had in mind:

|----X----|
| |
|----X----|
| |
|----X----|

Would this work? Also, where do I connect into this loop? I want to ensure equal pressure to all sprays. Any help would be appreciated.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm not a plumber by trade but I've done my share of plumbing, sorry but I don't understand your drawing.

When you say pressure balance, are you only concerned with water pressure or temperature balance also. I know that manufactures such as Price Pfister call there temperture balance valves "Pressure Balance". When I say temp balance I'm refering to a constant temperture/balance when someone turnes on a faucet or flushes a toilet.

Maybe if you can identify the supply line it may help, as I assume the heads are on the right and the valves are the "x"? Are you planing on having just one shut off?
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
25 posts
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Feb 9th, 2010 6:22 pm
I'm not a plumber by trade but I've done my share of plumbing, sorry but I don't understand your drawing.

When you say pressure balance, are you only concerned with water pressure or temperature balance also. I know that manufactures such as Price Pfister call there temperture balance valves "Pressure Balance". When I say temp balance I'm refering to a constant temperture/balance when someone turnes on a faucet or flushes a toilet.

Maybe if you can identify the supply line it may help, as I assume the heads are on the right and the valves are the "x"? Are you planing on having just one shut off?
Below is a much better picture of what I was trying to show.

My concern is that I don't understand where I can place the inlet such that all sprays get an even amount of water pressure. I am only concerned with water pressure and not temperature. FYI, the inlet is supplied by a transfer valve, which is supplied by a thermostatic valve. Anyway, will this setup work if I place the inlet anywhere in the loop? I just don't want 1 or more sprays dripping or not producing enough pressure....because I heard that can happen if this is not done correctly.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
Ok, I get it now have you checked out the link below?

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/pdf/Specs_FQ30845.pdf

I would also check the manufacture to make sure you have enough water pressure to supply all the sprays. You may have to go with 3/4" lines.

Just so you know I'm in the same situation as you except I want temperture balance and seperate control for body spray and main shower head.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
25 posts
That could work. Thanks for the link. But, I would have to buy one more spray since it doesn't accomodate 3 sprays only. Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
desiracing234 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2010 4:58 pm
Can someone please explain how to create the best pressure balance loop for 3 bodysprays?

The following is what I had in mind:

|----X----|
| |
|----X----|
| |
|----X----|

Would this work? Also, where do I connect into this loop? I want to ensure equal pressure to all sprays. Any help would be appreciated.
you need them to be equal distances from the supply
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
In my link above I'm still a bit confused as to why there are two 3/4" shut offs at the top since it doesn't seem to continue. Are they shut offs?

As for the body sprays, man are they expensive. I thought about putting in a shower can on the ceiling but that's way over my budget plus I don't think the water pressure would support it.

PS. Thanks for chiming in Red Army, your suggestions are always welcome.

Here is another one:

[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
25 posts
Red_Army wrote:
Feb 9th, 2010 7:08 pm
you need them to be equal distances from the supply
The equal distance thing is what seems to be hard to do in my case. In a 3 bodyspray setup, the top spray and bottom spray can be easily set to the same distance. I guess for the middle spray, I will have to add some loops in the copper so the water travels the same distance as the top and bottom sprays. Since it is hidden behind the wall, it doesn't need to look pretty. Thanks for the feedback.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
25 posts
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 11:20 am
Based on diagrams from both Delta and Price Pfister they don't seem to be difference distances. Is this due to a special valve they're using?

E.G.

Delta pages 36-37

http://imgs.ebuild.com/xCat/ebuildWebB/ ... t=Original
On page 26, it shows a 3 bodyspray diagram (like the one I showed) but the distance to the middle spray, again, is shorter than then distance to the top and bottom sprays. Logically, it makes sense the distance should be the same for all three, but why are all these people showing "misleading" diagrams. Super confusing....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
desiracing234 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 12:00 pm
Logically, it makes sense the distance should be the same for all three, but why are all these people showing "misleading" diagrams. Super confusing....
I have the exact same thought and have come across many more like that. Keep in mind that some of the photo's below have to be modified for our application but I believe you get the point.

http://www.newportbrass.com/shower/Lite ... urater.pdf
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
what is the flow rating for the shower valve you are installing?

the loops in the diagrams will work properly as long as the shower valve that is installed is rated high enough to supply enough pressure to X amount of valves, (figure each head will be pusing out about 2.5gpms)
AND the water supply pressure is enough to fully pressurize the loop giving full pressure to all heads (more often than not you need an 3?4" supply to achieve this BUT This can be achieved using 1/2 inch pipe as long as you have about 45-60PSI or greater depening on the valve's flow rate.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
I will have to check the flow rating on the Price Pfister model I purchased and get back to you Red Army. I'm sorry I didn't go with the thermostatic valve rather then the Pressure Balance Valve. I'm sure the thermoatatic was twice the price. At the time I didn't know there was a difference.
× < >