• May 10th, 2011 11:56 am
[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto

Shower rod keeps falling down!

Hey guys,

So for my shower, I've got a spring loaded shower rod. It has rubber stoppers on both ends but my problem is that the rod keeps falling down. Looking for some ideas what to replace the stoppers with. Looks exactly like the link below, any input is appreciated!

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/files3 ... 914586.jpg

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1658 posts
545 upvotes
Kitchener
jason9945 wrote:
May 9th, 2011 8:53 pm
Pretty much anything would be better than that.

Get one that you can unscrew to adjust. Should be around $20 pretty much anywhere.

+1
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
9 upvotes
That rod you have should be adjustable, just unscrew it to make it longer and in turn putting more pressure on the ends.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
4052 posts
145 upvotes
Take out the rubber ends, install two brackets into the walls and insert the pole into brackets. I did this last week for the exact same problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3777 posts
581 upvotes
Ottawa
If you have to drill through tile to install the shower rod, use a carbide tip drill bit and go low and slow.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6026 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
I think the reason for the spring loaded rods is to prevent any drilling into the walls. If you feel the need to do so and have a waterproofing membrane then remember to apply 100% silicone to the open holes before inserting the screws. I'd also apply some to the screw threads since that wouldn't hurt either. Ah what the heck, even if you don't have any waterproofing membrane, seal the holes anyway.

I believe the reason the rod is falling down is either there isn't enough pressure against the wall or there is too much weight on the rod or both. As mentioned you should be able to unscrew the rod to increase tension.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3115 posts
183 upvotes
Calgary
MacGyver wrote:
May 10th, 2011 7:24 am
If you have to drill through tile to install the shower rod, use a carbide tip drill bit and go low and slow.

And dip it in water constantly to prevent overheating. The tip will get really hot going through the tile.
× < >