Home & Garden

Shower stall ceiling..paint it or tile it?..

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2010 8:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2005
7037 posts
381 upvotes

Shower stall ceiling..paint it or tile it?..

almost finish the renovation of the bathroom.Question should I tile the ceiling of the shower stall or paint it.If I tile it might have a issue with matching the wall grout lines...
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
1435 posts
144 upvotes
Victoria
paint

I've never seen a tiled shower ceiling
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14833 posts
1497 upvotes
If you paint, make sure you use a bathroom water-resistant / meldew proof paint.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
I've seen quite a few tiled ceilings and it looks nice, but that's my opinion. Two friends just had it tiled also. They say it's much easier to clean and don't worry about the paint peeling on the ceiling.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2529 posts
357 upvotes
Ottawa
It really depends on how enclosed it is. If it's a typical glass corner enclosure there is plenty of airflow so I would tile the walls and paint the ceiling.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Mendes wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2010 8:28 am
Tile, i wouldnt cheap out in a washroom. Not that its a BIG deal, but its a washroom, never skimp. It cant be more then 12 1sq ft tiles.
Its not a question of being cheap, but which looks is "better" and whether its normal to have a tiled ceiling. I'm debating this decision as well for when I gut my 2 baths. These are standard tubs+shower though, not a stand alone shower stall.
This space for rent
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Tiled shower ceilings are fairly common. They are easy to clean and don't peel like paint does.

Also, you don't have to match the tiles on the wall.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
To me if you have proper ventilation then it is all personal preference.
If you have poor/no ventilation then tile is the way to go.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Feb 25, 2007
715 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa
janaka wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2010 10:43 pm
To me if you have proper ventilation then it is all personal preference.
If you have poor/no ventilation then tile is the way to go.
I echo this. We played around with it both ways. Found that even with quite light colored tile it felt more spacious and roomy with the shower ceiling painted the same color as the bathroom ceiling, rather than tile. Since have good ventilation, made choice on aesthetics alone.

If you do have proper ventilation and don't get mildew, I think the cleaning issue is a red herring. Just wipe it from time to time! How often do you clean the ceilings elsewhere in the house?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
houska wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2010 7:09 am
I echo this. We played around with it both ways. Found that even with quite light colored tile it felt more spacious and roomy with the shower ceiling painted the same color as the bathroom ceiling, rather than tile. Since have good ventilation, made choice on aesthetics alone.

If you do have proper ventilation and don't get mildew, I think the cleaning issue is a red herring. Just wipe it from time to time! How often do you clean the ceilings elsewhere in the house?
I recently finished my mom's basement and added a bathroom. We went to the Home Depot and got one of the HIGHEST CFM rated bathroom fans to make sure that there wouldn't be any issues with the moisture. When the fan is on you can feel adraft being pulled from around the shut door ;) You cannot make the mirror in the bathroom fog up no matter how hot/long of a shower you take. We painted the ceiling as we knew moisture wouldn't be a problem. As above make sure you use a Kitchen/Bath grade paint as its designed to be in that area. Right product for the job.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12818 posts
3682 upvotes
I would use tile, or if you are feeling creative, some people use mortar (or some form of cement based stuff) to create a trowelled finish on the ceiling. Depending on the colour of your tile that may look unique, and eliminate the grout line issue.
Mar 9, 2010
1 posts
Port Coquitlam, BC
We used a sheet of Formica laminate. Install the Formica before tiling, leave a small gap at the top of the tile and fill that with mildew resistant caulking.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10712 posts
1693 upvotes
Toronto
Use tile. You won't regret it. Cleaning, mold will never be a problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2010 9:42 pm
Use tile. You won't regret it. Cleaning, mold will never be a problem.
proper ventilation will prevent mold from ever being a problem.
× < >