Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge

Shower Taps keep coming loose

Every 3 months the shower taps keep coming loose, so I have to pry the cap off them and tighten the star head screw and put them back.

Is there anything I can do to make it so the screw does not need to be tightened? should I put some glue on it or something?

17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
If you put some glue in the threads, or even a mild brand of loctite you risk the chance of never removing the screw at all in the future, if that is not a concern as you hope to replace the whole valve in the future, then it's up to you. Some have tried 100% silicone but personally I would replace the screw with a new one and place a small lock washer underneath it, this way you can make sure it's tight as it has a better grip with a new head to grab onto.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Make sure the threads, inside and on the screw are very dry and put some nail polish (from your Wife, girlfriend or significant other or, maybe yours) on the screw threads. It can act like a Loctite product but cheaper and you are able to remove the screw again.
There can be other reasons for the loosening, handle splines becoming worn, washer missing, but the nail polish is one way to fix it.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy some Loctite, as others have mentioned. You'll find several uses for it, so no need to use substitutes, just get the real thing. However, make sure to get the BLUE one. The RED one is supposedly permanent. However, in one of the most stupidest things ever, the BLUE Loctite is actually in a red container:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/locti ... lcnMXarS9I
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
You can replace the cartridge (correct term?). Rarely it creates leaks where there was none before, but its an option.
If you go this route also replace the screw holding the tap on (often it comes with a new screw but not always).

BTW what happened to your avatar?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Quentin5 wrote: You can replace the cartridge (correct term?). Rarely it creates leaks where there was none before, but its an option.
If you go this route also replace the screw holding the tap on (often it comes with a new screw but not always).

BTW what happened to your avatar?
Thanks. I will consider. The house was owned by someone else before so I guess there was wear and tear on the taps from the previous home owner. As for the Avitar, no idea what that means? I never had one before, may be you are thinking about someone else?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Stronzo1 wrote: Thanks. I will consider. The house was owned by someone else before so I guess there was wear and tear on the taps from the previous home owner. As for the Avitar, no idea what that means? I never had one before, may be you are thinking about someone else?
Maybe i am thinking of someone else, i thought you had a red stop sign or something as your profile picture
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Loctite Blue 242 will hold the screw but come off with a screwdriver when necessary. Doesn't take much, I've used it on these screws before. I put a droplet on hockey helmet fasteners also for kids teams I've coached anytime we tighten up or replace a missing screw-works great.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Zamboni wrote: Loctite Blue 242 will hold the screw but come off with a screwdriver when necessary. Doesn't take much, I've used it on these screws before. I put a droplet on hockey helmet fasteners also for kids teams I've coached anytime we tighten up or replace a missing screw-works great.
okay I will try that stuff: locktite blue 242, but it comes in a red bottle right? and if I don't have any or cant find it, I can use a dab of nail polish to do the same thing?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Stronzo1 wrote: okay I will try that stuff: locktite blue 242, but it comes in a red bottle right? and if I don't have any or cant find it, I can use a dab of nail polish to do the same thing?
Yep, all the locktites come in red plastic bottles. Nail polish....heard it works but no idea what colour you should use :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Stronzo1 wrote: okay I will try that stuff: locktite blue 242, but it comes in a red bottle right? and if I don't have any or cant find it, I can use a dab of nail polish to do the same thing?
It's in every Canadian Tire (see my link above) as well as most hardware stores. Should be cheaper at Princess Auto if you're close to one. Might have non-Loctite brands like Permanex, but you're looking for "thread sealant" or "thread adhesive". At Canadian Tire, it's in their automotive section, not with general adhesives/glues.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
thanks but someone sliced that washer and bent it now it looks deformed? would it be better to use a brand new washer with no defects?
Thanks
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Stronzo1 wrote: thanks but someone sliced that washer and bent it now it looks deformed? would it be better to use a brand new washer with no defects?
I take it you've never worked with a Stainless steel split ring lock washer before?

Anyway check underneath the knob when I had issues with knobs loosening over time it was because there was a crack in the knob so overtime it wiggles and backs the screw off.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
tebore wrote: I take it you've never worked with a Stainless steel split ring lock washer before?

Anyway check underneath the knob when I had issues with knobs loosening over time it was because there was a crack in the knob so overtime it wiggles and backs the screw off.
nope never knew what a split ring lock was for, but I seen them I will find one small enough to fit the hole of the shower knob, but my second question, should I use both the split ring lock and the thread lock / nail polish now? or just one
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
I would use the split ring (lock washer) as that should solve the problem, that is if the knob or other problems don't exist such as a crack. If you want added protection than the appropriate loctite or nail polish would do the trick.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Zamboni wrote: Yep, all the locktites come in red plastic bottles. Nail polish....heard it works but no idea what colour you should use :lol:
I agree loctite is what you should use but in a pinch, and what I have come to use ,is the nail polish. It works as well for simple things like this. I would most certainly not use it if I am doing mechanical or electrical work.
As for the colour, well, it depends if you want to colour coordinate your repairs but generally any will do :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
I will steal my wife's hot pink nail polish hahaha
Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)