Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Megabus.com

MEGABUS: $1 trips to Philadelphia

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2010 2:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1607 posts
1430 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just got back from Philly last night using Megabus. We arrived at Philly like 1.5 hours late and arrived at Toronto like 1 hour late. I don't know if they take into account the border wait time in their schedule?

Besides being late, everything was okay with Megabus. Wifi didn't work in the Canada side, but when we got to US, it did, but only in the more populated areas of the trip. Bus was nowhere near full. Most people use the bus for the Buffalo airport.

Philly is a great walking city. You can pretty much walk all of downtown from north to south or east to west in less than an hour. Everything is close together. We only used a cab to get to our hotel at night when we arrived at 30th stn and that was less than $7 usd, and to go to south side to get a philly cheesesteak from 30th stn and that was like $14 usd.

We went to Atlantic City for $2 each roundtrip which was totally worth it because they give you $20 slotplay. I won it all back so the trip was basically free. We had a bunch of Atlantic City reservation codes but the bus was late for a few so we didn't want to wait for another $20 slotplay.

Good trip if you don't mind the long bus ride and its probably better to depart at night if you don't want to be late.
Jul 11, 2004
933 posts
163 upvotes
xt21 wrote: The driver stops at Buffalo Bus Terminal, Buffalo Airport and Syracuse.

The stop at Syracuse is for 30 mins and the bus terminal has Subway, Dunkin Donuts n some other places to eat in there.
Perfect thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
windough wrote: Perfect thanks!
Avoid the ice machine at the Syracuse Subway. There's mold growing in it (Saw it on my ice cubes, sighed, and just put it down to the place being a dump--threw it away, of course).
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2008
1441 posts
26 upvotes
canabiz wrote: Sound like you guys had a great time...too bad Ottawa was not on the departure list or I would have jumped on this.

Did you guys rent a car beforehand in Philly to get around or did you guys simply use public transit?
We walked most places and when we went to the Phillies games we took the subway
Jan 29, 2007
442 posts
17 upvotes
Flipmars wrote: you can enjoy a cheesesteak and get robbed
LOL LOL :lol:

...BEFORE you can finish your cheesesteak...
May 2, 2006
895 posts
291 upvotes
I have a pair of tickets on Megabus for the an extra long weekend over Labour Day. This includes an extra pair of tickets from Atlantic City back to Philadelphia where you get an option to spend a day in Philly or not! $15 for it all!

Toronto to Phil
Reservation for 2 passengers
Reservation Number
Will give you when we meet.
Trip information:
Thu Sep 02, 2010
Depart Toronto, Toronto Coach Terminal at September 2, 2010 10:00 PM arrive Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 3, 2010 8:15 AM

Phil to Atlantic City
Reservation Number
Trip information:
Fri Sep 03, 2010
Depart Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 3, 2010 11:10 AM arrive Atlantic City, Trump Plaza Transportation Center at September 3, 2010 12:35 PM

Atlantic City to Phil (Option 1 for a day in Phil)
Reservation Number
Trip information:
Tue Sep 07, 2010
Depart Atlantic City, Trump Plaza Transportation Center at September 7, 2010 12:50 PM arrive Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 7, 2010 2:20 PM

Atlantic City to Phil (Option 2 for no days in Phil)
Reservation Number
Trip information:
Wed Sep 08, 2010
Depart Atlantic City, Trump Plaza Transportation Center at September 8, 2010 2:50 PM arrive Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 8, 2010 4:20 PM

Phil to Toronto
Reservation Number
Trip information:
Wed Sep 08, 2010
Depart Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 8, 2010 9:50 PM arrive Toronto, Toronto Coach Terminal at September 9, 2010 7:15 AM
Aug 12, 2006
30 posts
I'm unable to take time off this friday. Anyone interested?
Paid $12.50
Willing to sell for $10

Journey 1

Trip information:
Thu Sep 09, 2010
Depart Toronto, Toronto Coach Terminal at September 9, 2010 10:00 PM arrive Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 10, 2010 8:15 AM

Journey 2

Trip information:
Fri Sep 10, 2010
Depart Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 10, 2010 9:10 AM arrive Atlantic City, Trump Plaza Transportation Center at September 10, 2010 10:35 AM

Journey 3

Trip information:
Sat Sep 11, 2010
Depart Atlantic City, Tropicana Bus Transportation Center at September 11, 2010 8:50 AM arrive Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 11, 2010 10:20 AM

Journey 4

Trip information:
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Depart Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 12, 2010 9:10 AM arrive Toronto, Toronto Coach Terminal at September 12, 2010 6:55 PM
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA

I just saw that on the news and it is very sad. We used Megabus once and there were some issues (including the driver having to call someone as he didn't know how to operate some of the controls on the bus). We figured it was cheap, it got us where we were going and we wouldn't complain about the issues we had due to the price.

However after hearing this - their 3rd accident in 10 months we won't be using their service again. It is cheap and after the first crash (December 2009), I figured it could happen - doesn't necessarily mean anything. They had another crash within 2 weeks (December 2009) - both on the NY/Toronto route. Fortunately there were no fatalities in those accidents. This one is tragic and 3 crashes in 10 months seems to indicate something is wrong - a bus that is off its route and hits a railroad bridge that is too low should not have happened. In at least one of the other incidents, the driver was also ticketed.

Cheap, but I won't be using Megabus again and am very sad for the people that were killed and injured today.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3835 upvotes
Nowhere
My first thought when I heard the news was RFD. Let's hope that no RFDers were onboard. It is hard to believe that anyone driving that bus would have thought they could make it under that bridge.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12163 posts
5613 upvotes
Ottawa
RIP to the fallen. Why would the driver take that route when it's not something that is on the itinerary?

I have never traveled Megabus before but I have some reservations. I hope they don't cut corners and put passengers' life in jeopardy by trying to hire inexperienced or questionable bus drivers to try to save a few bucks.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2893 posts
53 upvotes
Uhh I just read in the newspaper that a megabus coach crashed in Phili..

LOL i dunno if the drivers operating these buses going to Phili are any good :razz:
Jan 12, 2005
677 posts
4 upvotes
Rx-87 wrote: Uhh I just read in the newspaper that a megabus coach crashed in Phili..

LOL i dunno if the drivers operating these buses going to Phili are any good :razz:

You have a pretty sick sense of humour.

Anyway, I'd advise against taking Megabus. Took the Montreal-Toronto trip and almost didn't make it home alive. Drivers are insane, 120km/hr in a snowstorm, weaving in and out of traffic, losing control of the bus (and continuing to drive 120km/hr in a snowstorm). It's not worth the cheap price.
(H)(Y)
Nov 25, 2007
214 posts
24 upvotes
Scranton, PA
Just heard about the crash and immediately thought about this thread on RFD (read it couple months ago). Sad day indeed.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Diamond_Ace wrote: Phil to Toronto
Reservation Number
Trip information:
Wed Sep 08, 2010
Depart Philadelphia, 30th St Station at September 8, 2010 9:50 PM arrive Toronto, Toronto Coach Terminal at September 9, 2010 7:15 AM

Damn Ace, this schedule is cutting really close to the headline if you book a day or two later.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
canabiz wrote: RIP to the fallen. Why would the driver take that route when it's not something that is on the itinerary?

I have never traveled Megabus before but I have some reservations. I hope they don't cut corners and put passengers' life in jeopardy by trying to hire inexperienced or questionable bus drivers to try to save a few bucks.

I just caught this on the news, and it is indeed very sad. When I heard that the bus "wasn't on the route" I immediately recalled my own trip to NYC. The driver took a wrong turn and had to make a U-turn on a (fortunately empty) highway to get back. A different driver on the return trip also came close to making a wrong turn. I wondered then why the company didn't have GPS units installed in the buses, especially since it was clear their drivers were unfamiliar with the routes. For today's driver to have attempted to drive under a low bridge seems extra shocking. I don't know if he was among the fatalities but it would be sad either way.
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
swiftfox wrote: I'd advise against taking Megabus. Took the Montreal-Toronto trip and almost didn't make it home alive. Drivers are insane, 120km/hr in a snowstorm, weaving in and out of traffic, losing control of the bus (and continuing to drive 120km/hr in a snowstorm). It's not worth the cheap price.

From the CTV News website:

[INDENT][Don] Carmichael [senior vice president of Coach USA, which operates Megabus] said the company prides itself on its safety record. "We have extremely high standards of safety and we've transported in excess of 7 million people and never an incident like this," he said.[/INDENT]
Guess Ol' Don never actually rides the Megabus himself???
Mar 12, 2007
8 posts
Just went to Philly for the Labour day weekend (plus one day). Added on Washington DC for $15. Had an absolute blast! Cheapest trip I've ever done. The only problem is delays at the border (1 hour going there, 3 hours coming back).
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
4051 posts
1127 upvotes
North York
I have used them b4 also - no complaints at all. Infact will be using them again. This happenned - don't understand why - and condolences to the families of those who died!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)