Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Dell Vostro 470 Desktop w/Core i7-3770, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, Geforce GT 620 $599 - Hot!

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2013 11:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18402 posts
9704 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
hkmixx wrote: The labour is an additional fee that you don't need to pay. Doing it yourself takes an hour or two. Installing Windows? A matter of clicking buttons. The Windows license, sure. The opportunity cost of building is minimal. Just take an hour of your TV time and do something else. It's not as if you would work overtime in those two hours to earn more money. Get real.
Whatever you prefer. Personally I'll be happy taking my 470 out of the cardboard box, swapping in the harddrive from my old rig (can't be bothered reinstalling Windows and all my programs which will take hours), running a quick F8 repair to get Windows booting on the new hardware, and getting more important things done.

I used to build my own rigs back in the days when you could actually save a lot of money doing so (15-20 years ago) but I no longer think it's worth the hassle for most people.
Sep 6, 2012
321 posts
100 upvotes
WINNIPEG
jg123 wrote: Can I use this video card with the existing 350w power supply? Just saw it needs a minimum 400w supply

HIS iCooler H775F1GD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
For 7750 350W will be enough.

I have I5, 8GB, SSD, HDD, high-end motherboard (users more power than this one in Vostro) and 3 Fans. On idle PC is using 36W, light load 45W, high load 75W.
7750 is fairly energy efficient card. On a max loads (tests running on highest settings) your system should stay under 270W. While gaming, not more tha 220-250W.
And even if you will feel it's not enough (random reboots, freezes) you can just ugprade the PSU.
hkmixx wrote: The labour is an additional fee that you don't need to pay. Doing it yourself takes an hour or two. Installing Windows? A matter of clicking buttons. The Windows license, sure. The opportunity cost of building is minimal. Just take an hour of your TV time and do something else. It's not as if you would work overtime in those two hours to earn more money. Get real.
Your posted partpicker url links to US stores, it shows $700 for Canada.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1558 posts
72 upvotes
hkmixx wrote: Assuming you don't intend to overclock, here's a rig with for just under $620: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ODfT. Yes, you will need a better mobo/PSU if you want to OC. I picked 3570k instead of 3570 because the listed price for the unlocked is actually cheaper right now. This rig will way outperform this $600 Dell at any game (the build uses the American store, but you can find similar parts in the Canadian store for roughly the same price).

Build, folks. It's much much cheaper and you'll get something more versatile. This Dell is really only good for heavy, non-gaming work. You're wasting a lot of money on the i7 when you don't even need it.
I was thinking that exact same thing. I'm trying to build a PC for my parents, and using pcpartpicker.com I put together something cheaper that should be better for my needs. I guess this may be more convenient for people who don't want to build their own, but personally, an i7 processor would be a waste for my needs.
Jul 13, 2005
834 posts
6 upvotes
Winnipeg
hkmixx wrote: The Windows license, sure.
Out of curiosity, how much does this "sure" cost?
Sep 6, 2012
321 posts
100 upvotes
WINNIPEG
SuJu wrote: I was thinking that exact same thing. I'm trying to build a PC for my parents, and using pcpartpicker.com I put together something cheaper that should be better for my needs. I guess this may be more convenient for people who don't want to build their own, but personally, an i7 processor would be a waste for my needs.
So true. Sadly a few people understands this.

By the way I build a PC for my parents as well:
CPU: Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.00 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX3 R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($55.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($26.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($37.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Rosewill 350W ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $318.97

More than enough for their needs and very easily upgradable just in case.
May 16, 2005
137 posts
25 upvotes
Montreal
Exactly the same thing for me for my son and a little Flight sim for me!

firstimer1969 wrote: +1

I was trying to build a mid-level gaming machine for my son but this machine + some upgrades will do him for a few years.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]You can easily get the same kind specs without even really bothering much, here is my try.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($26.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Apex PC-389-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Rosewill 350W ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.06 @ DirectCanada)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-101 Wired Standard Keyboard ($5.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Mouse: Rosewill RM-C2U Wired Optical Mouse ($5.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $530.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
$530. Includes taxes and shipping, just missing OS and totally useless GT 620 GPU.

But honestly, I wouldn't advice on getting neither this Vostro 470, neither my build. Just browse through anon's posts on RFD, he has the most amazing builds for cheap I have ever seen. [/QUOTE]

I think you mean $530 without taxes or shipping. The Vostro 470 has 4xUSB 3.0 ports, and SATAIII support (2 channels I think...).

Also, SATAII (3Gbit/s) vs SATAIII (6Gbit/s) probably doesn't even make a huge real word difference for most people out there (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sat ... 110-7.html).

The Vostro 470 isn't ideal for everyone and there's certainly merit to building yourself. But as a prebuilt machine with perks like service, warranty, and convenience, it's a reasonable (and well priced) option.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
beirutas wrote: imo it's not that good of the deal.
gpu is absolute crap, barely better than integrated HD 4000 graphics and should be worse than upcoming haswell HD 4600 graphics.
And how do you know what motherboard is that? I can't find anything about it, just that it's mATX. Does it even support SATAIII or USB3?
It just looks like they are just trying to get rid of stock.

You can easily get the same kind specs without even really bothering much, here is my try.

$530. Includes taxes and shipping, just missing OS and totally useless GT 620 GPU.

But honestly, I wouldn't advice on getting neither this Vostro 470, neither my build. Just browse through anon's posts on RFD, he has the most amazing builds for cheap I have ever seen.

TLDR; if you get this PC... you will end up with a overpowered CPU and nothing more.
No SSD, just 4GB of RAM, crappy GPU, which can't handle a thing and weak generic PSU and who knows maybe even without USB3 and SATAIII.
Took me all of 60 seconds to find out the specs on the Vostro 470 via google (yes it does). ;)
Jul 13, 2005
834 posts
6 upvotes
Winnipeg
AndrewRFD wrote: I think you mean $530 without taxes or shipping. The Vostro 470 has 4xUSB 3.0 ports, and SATAIII support (2 channels I think...).

Also, SATAII (3Gbit/s) vs SATAIII (6Gbit/s) probably doesn't even make a huge real word difference for most people out there (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sat ... 110-7.html).

The Vostro 470 isn't ideal for everyone and there's certainly merit to building yourself. But as a prebuilt machine with perks like service, warranty, and convenience, it's a reasonable (and well priced) option.
One thing I noticed is that for most people who looked down to this deal by saying Oh I could get these these cheap they simply skipped the cost of the OS ...

The Vostro lines are aimed at small/medium businesses. So they are not strong on the gaming performance. But on the other hand the Vostroes do have their own merits: pretty quiet (though not as quiet as the Optiplex line) and good reliability. I have acquired almost 100 various Vosrto PCs for my work place and haven't got any serious problem yet -- many of them have been running day and night for 3~4 years. IMO it's better than the record of the Ispiron line and hard to be matched by those from the basement shops.
Sep 6, 2012
321 posts
100 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Bigmouth wrote: One thing I noticed is that for most people who looked down to this deal by saying Oh I could get these these cheap they simply skipped the cost of the OS ...

The Vostro lines are aimed at small/medium businesses. So they are not strong on the gaming performance. But on the other hand the Vostroes do have their own merits: pretty quiet (though not as quiet as the Optiplex line) and good reliability. I have acquired almost 100 various Vosrto PCs for my work place and haven't got any serious problem yet -- many of them have been running day and night for 3~4 years. IMO it's better than the record of the Ispiron line and hard to be matched by that from the basement shops.
Well do you really need $300 i7 CPU for a work place? Won't i3 or even Pentium/Celeron be sufficient?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
I see a couple of people said this would hold up for video games, and can be upgraded for better play, but I don't understand this as a hot deal. I am not hating, its just by computer knowledge lacks. I have been following deals since boxing day and I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet (strongly regret missing the refurb lenovo laptop) but is this really a deal to jump on right away? Seems a tad bit expensive, but I am on a budget so maybe im wrong.
Jan 5, 2009
342 posts
62 upvotes
If anyone wants to build me this exact PC with better power supply, graphics card and more ram and deliver it to my house for less than $681 I would gladly pay you for it. Don't forget my 1 year warranty.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18402 posts
9704 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Bigmouth wrote: Out of curiosity, how much does this "sure" cost?
A legal Windows Home Premium OEM license costs $50 to $100. If you buy it separately it's usually around $100. Due to Dell's buying power you are probably paying less than $50 by getting it through Dell.

Most of the 'build your own' advocates are basically ignoring this.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39292 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
oh god, i can't resist...
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
1584 posts
113 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: A legal Windows Home Premium OEM license costs $50 to $100. If you buy it separately it's usually around $100. Due to Dell's buying power you are probably paying less than $50 by getting it through Dell.

Not to mention bluetooth, wireless N, keyboard, mouse, card reader.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
im a little confused by dell, i mean why even bother throwing in that garbage video card in their when the integrated is almost as good. Maybe Dell gets it for free from nvidia? Anyways this build is not balanced, for most peoples needs Dell could have made this build more sensible if they used the AMD fx 4300 processor and put a radeon 7770 graphics card in it and priced the whole thing at $499
Jul 13, 2005
834 posts
6 upvotes
Winnipeg
beirutas wrote: Well do you really need $300 i7 CPU for a work place? Won't i3 or even Pentium/Celeron be sufficient?
How do you know what area I am in and what set up fits my need better (actually I already gave some hint in my previous post)? Though not every PC in my place came with an i7, the computing power is one critical factor for our purchase decision. We never looked at any Celeron machine and only ordered a couple i3 for the reception desks. Said that, value is another factor I must take into consideration. If this i7 PC is at regular price then I won't pay any attention to it. But for this price? I just ordered two for work and grabbed one for myself. :-)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1123 posts
1064 upvotes
MARKHAM
Kurtz7834 wrote: A legal Windows Home Premium OEM license costs $50 to $100. If you buy it separately it's usually around $100. Due to Dell's buying power you are probably paying less than $50 by getting it through Dell.

to be fair, most of the 'build your own' advocates can get win 7 licensed for free, some way or another.

but it's still a pretty hot deal. you would have to scavenge for deals to save pennies on each part if you were gonna build a similar desktop yourself
Jun 11, 2003
511 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Any one find out how much ram we can stuff into this machine?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)