• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2014 3:41 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 20, 2006
134 posts
13 upvotes

Moving costs

We are planning to move in the next 6 months or so, and have always done our moves ourselves (renting the uhaul, getting friends to help, etc), and now that we have accumulated some real furniture and are a bit more stable, have decided we are "grown-ups" now and can hire some actual movers. What have people paid for moving companies? It seems to usually be an hourly rate, but what is that hourly rate, generally? None of the companies will state it on their web sites without you giving them your email or phone number. Ballpark figures would be great, I realize that there are variables. Fwiw, we would be moving out of a 2 bedroom and into a 2 bedroom most likely, both in Vancouver.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2007
2849 posts
186 upvotes
2 bedroom fully furnished, dining set, living set (couches, tables, desk). Could be anywhere from 2,500 to 4,000 lbs.

It really depends though, if it's Toronto, expect rates around $120 an hour for 3 guys and a truck. A good company will also have minimums to ensure they break even on the move. Fuel, materials, and the labour are what you are paying for.

Saturdays are typically more expensive, beginning and end of the month are typically more expensive.

If you have large items, you don't want them to send less than 3 guys.

It's very difficult to ballpark, and a good company will have an experienced sales rep talk to you in detail, or visit your home/apartment to see what there is to move.
Nov 20, 2006
134 posts
13 upvotes
Thanks WontonTiger, that's awesome, gives me a good idea. I'm in Vancouver, so the prices are probably similar to Toronto. We'll make sure to plan our move for a mid-month weekday!
May 11, 2008
847 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
When I moved about 2 years ago, I was charged $79/hr for 2 guys and a 3 ton truck.
I used a company called Mighty Movers, I believe they're based out of North Vancouver.
My move didn't take too long (was just from a loft to a 1 bedroom condo, both in Vancouver) as I was only moving the large furniture, all the small boxes I had moved myself already.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
My parents hired a moving company that charged $60/hr for 2 ppl or $85/hr w/ 3 ppl. As well as extra 1/2 hour for transportation fee. Not sure if that's standard. They're a chinese company btw.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7082 posts
5209 upvotes
It might be pertinent in this discussion ...

How much did you guys tip the actual movers who came and did the work?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
We hired movers to move contents from my mother's condo to various family homes in Ottawa. First movers were $85/hour, 3 guys. Second movers cost $70/hour, 2 guys. Both companies had a four-hour minimum, with travel time for them included in the first hour. We tipped the first guys only $30 total because they didn't clarify until the move was over that they had to have cash only, which resulted in a last-minute run to an ATM on an already-busy day. The second movers we tipped $20 each.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
It actually depends greatly. It's very hard to estimate how much stuff a house holds. In Toronto i usually end up paying around $500.
Many times the price goes up when they have to fill more than one truck.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
libby43 wrote: can hire some actual movers.
Be careful in hiring movers, there are quite a few scams / horror stories out there.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
damnos wrote: Be careful in hiring movers, there are quite a few scams / horror stories out there.
Agreed. Go with a "known" mover otherwise you many find that they don't show up (and have your deposit money) etc. etc. So much will depend on weight - if you have a lot of heavy books and say a large piano - that type of thing will really increase the cost. It also depends on what you want the company to do. If you have them pack your dishes etc. that will really drive up the cost. A reputable company will send a representative to provide you will a quote based on what you tell him/her will actually be moved - and they will look at the difficulty in moving it out of your current residence - as well as the distance the furniture is to be moved.
Mar 6, 2014
3 posts
libby43 wrote: We are planning to move in the next 6 months or so, and have always done our moves ourselves (renting the uhaul, getting friends to help, etc), and now that we have accumulated some real furniture and are a bit more stable, have decided we are "grown-ups" now and can hire some actual movers. What have people paid for moving companies? It seems to usually be an hourly rate, but what is that hourly rate, generally? None of the companies will state it on their web sites without you giving them your email or phone number. Ballpark figures would be great, I realize that there are variables. Fwiw, we would be moving out of a 2 bedroom and into a 2 bedroom most likely, both in Vancouver.
That's a tough question because I think it usually just depends on the company and the economic situation for that area. I've seen anywhere from $40 per hour for a minimum of 3 hours to $70 per hour for a minimum of 2 hours. If you are having a hard time finding a moving company in your area, you should check out moving guru. They have a list of different moving companies and would be a great place to start.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Try to not move on the end/begging of the month. During those times the movers are packed with work and can end up not coming at all.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)