Shopping Discussion

Cashiers with attitudes - how do you deal with them?

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2014 3:31 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
From having worked in a front end type job in my youth, and equally well being on the other side obviously. I have to say that it's usually the d-bag on the other side of the counter that is being a d-bag and that behavior being mirrored back at them. I can't think of a single time a cashier ill-treated me for no reason. If you are getting this often enough to post on a forum about it, take a look in the mirror bud.

JM2C
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I'm not a very talkative person. I let them bag my stuff and I pay for it, then I leave. Seems pretty straight forward... lol. I rarely pay with cash because I hate change, so having change thrown back at me isn't an issue either. I'm pretty low maintenance, never ask any difficult questions.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
primetimey wrote: You only get attitude when you are an *****
BS. Now that you can PM groceries Im getting bunk from cashiers everytime the flyers come out whereas I never did before.
May 1, 2014
21 posts
Vancouver, BC
i try not to take them too personally. at the end of the day, their bad day doesn't have to affect yours.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
Replace them with FTW from Philipines or Mexico, or just complain to the manager, thats what I do.
Apr 22, 2014
95 posts
6 upvotes
Gatineau
I don't really care about it as im not the most smiling person either but you could always ask: How much are smiles this week? In which aisle could I find smiles?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
What most people need to do is step back and think how they themselves would like to be treated. How would you like people at work, who think you are not doing your job to their level of standards, filming you and posting on the internet? Making sarcastic remarks to draw attention to their unhappiness? Treat you like you are just a servant of theirs?

Just because you are shopping at the store they work at does not mean they own/control you. The same way the people you serve in your job (whether internal to your company or not) do not own/control you.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3868 upvotes
Nowhere
NG wrote: BS. Now that you can PM groceries Im getting bunk from cashiers everytime the flyers come out whereas I never did before.
Funny when I pull the flyers out to PM, the cashier usually already knows the price and I don't have to show it especially later in the week. Alot of them at the stores I shop stay up to date on prices. Many times they will comment on what a good price it is. I have even been asked for the flyer so they can PM after work. I see many cashiers PMing in the stores on their way out after work. They need to save too.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Apr 22, 2014
95 posts
6 upvotes
Gatineau
Cheap Cat wrote: Funny when I pull the flyers out to PM, the cashier usually already knows the price and I don't have to show it especially later in the week. Alot of them at the stores I shop stay up to date on prices. Many times they will comment on what a good price it is. I have even been asked for the flyer so they can PM after work. I see many cashiers PMing in the stores on their way out after work. They need to save too.
at WM I am not even being ask for the flyer I just state the price and store an they match it. I guess some people could abuse that lol
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: What most people need to do is step back and think how they themselves would like to be treated. How would you like people at work, who think you are not doing your job to their level of standards, filming you and posting on the internet? Making sarcastic remarks to draw attention to their unhappiness? Treat you like you are just a servant of theirs?

Just because you are shopping at the store they work at does not mean they own/control you. The same way the people you serve in your job (whether internal to your company or not) do not own/control you.
In theory I agree but in practice I don't need a bully cashier sending me into a panic attack so I need to take one of my potentionally addicting anti anxiety medication.

The last couple times I've brought a witness with me and both times she agreed I was doing nothing wrong and the cashier just seemed pissed she had to do the extra work of multiple PM overrides.

If this keeps happening I'm going to ask the woman I've been going with to complain with me to the regional WM manager since this just seems to be happening at one store.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cashiers serving without a smile is not a problem. I don't stay long enough to carry on a conversation with them.

That said, when I go to Whole Foods, I am always greeted by happy and cheerful cashiers at check out. This got to the point where my wife actually asked the girl, "Why are you so cheerful? Is this really a great place to work?" To which the girl answered "Yes it is. I like it here."

So, that kind of teaches me that the emotions of the cashiers and other other employees are dependent upon management and the store itself. I don't like Loblaws...their employees are hardly helpful or friendly. Longo's is quite good as I have actually had conversations with their cashiers. Whole Foods is by far the best out of the large stores.

I think I gradually just stop shopping at stores that have lousy employees and go to places that have cheerful and helpful employees.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
toram23901 wrote: Cashiers serving without a smile is not a problem. I don't stay long enough to carry on a conversation with them.

That said, when I go to Whole Foods, I am always greeted by happy and cheerful cashiers at check out. This got to the point where my wife actually asked the girl, "Why are you so cheerful? Is this really a great place to work?" To which the girl answered "Yes it is. I like it here."

So, that kind of teaches me that the emotions of the cashiers and other other employees are dependent upon management and the store itself. I don't like Loblaws...their employees are hardly helpful or friendly. Longo's is quite good as I have actually had conversations with their cashiers. Whole Foods is by far the best out of the large stores.

I think I gradually just stop shopping at stores that have lousy employees and go to places that have cheerful and helpful employees.
I'm not shopping as a social outing or trying to make friends.

Cheap prices > helpful employees > friendly employees
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
toram23901 wrote: Cashiers serving without a smile is not a problem. I don't stay long enough to carry on a conversation with them.

I noticed that too with WF. They also don't deal with as many obnoxious customers, not saying that they dont....they also may not be pressured to meet stupid quotas
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa

Loblaws = unionized
Whole foods = no union
Costco = no union
Longos = no clue

Your manager is either your ally or your antagonist depending on the syndication of an organization.

Sometimes when I get ***** service I'll politely ask an employee if they're unionized (most recently Rona), and the answer has always been yes. I'm not saying this is a rule with no exceptions because a broken clock is still right twice a day, but it's the case more often than not when you receive terrible service.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Pay and leave. It's not your job to cheer them up or make them happy.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
What a condescending remark for your wife to say, "Are you really that happy to work there?"

I would imagine some of the Whole Food staff to be temporary foreign workers; I know Sobey'/Loblaws do.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3868 upvotes
Nowhere
Cas77 wrote: Loblaws = unionized
Whole foods = no union
Costco = no union
Longos = no clue

Your manager is either your ally or your antagonist depending on the syndication of an organization.

Sometimes when I get ***** service I'll politely ask an employee if they're unionized (most recently Rona), and the answer has always been yes. I'm not saying this is a rule with no exceptions because a broken clock is still right twice a day, but it's the case more often than not when you receive terrible service.
Workplaces that unionize usually do so because they have crappy management. Costco treats their employees well so they don't need to unionize; however, they also don't stand in the way if employees want to unionize. Do you honestly think Walmart cashiers are happy and provide good service because they are not unionized? Sorry but Walmart is probably one of the best examples of a workplace where the unhappy workers represent what a lousy place it is to work. Walmart treats their employees like crap and it shows.

Ironically, I have always had great service at Rona but not at Home Depot. Loblaws cashiers for the most part are pretty good too. Both of these places are better than Walmart or Target so I guess your union theory doesn't work. I also don't hear workers in the unionized stores complaining about not getting breaks like I do in the non-unionized stores. It is a frequent complaint I hear at SDM and I have had to point out the Employment Standards Act several times.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2017 posts
245 upvotes
Lol people who pm have no idea how much everyone despises them. Don't expect smiles from cashiers or the ppl in line behind you because you have no dignity.
"I've been tearing money since my first Holy Communion."
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3868 upvotes
Nowhere
NG wrote: In theory I agree but in practice I don't need a bully cashier sending me into a panic attack so I need to take one of my potentionally addicting anti anxiety medication.

The last couple times I've brought a witness with me and both times she agreed I was doing nothing wrong and the cashier just seemed pissed she had to do the extra work of multiple PM overrides.

If this keeps happening I'm going to ask the woman I've been going with to complain with me to the regional WM manager since this just seems to be happening at one store.
I suspected it was Walmart you were talking about because it is usually done rather quickly at other stores. My issue with Walmart is that I sometime PM cat food there so I have 6 of each variety and then have to ring each one in and override it manually.
pupazzo wrote: Lol people who pm have no idea how much everyone despises them. Don't expect smiles from cashiers or the ppl in line behind you because you have no dignity.
Wow, you must have no dignity if you despise people because they are smart enough to price match.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Add me to those who dislike the price match phenomenon
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)