Cell Phones

Anyone else not looking forward to bigger iPhones?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2014 7:09 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga

Anyone else not looking forward to bigger iPhones?

I've had a galaxy s4 for the longest time. Sometimes I've liked it but most times I've hated it for the size. After it broke I got an iphone 4. I like it for the small size. Small but still very usable. Iphone 5 size is the max I would go IMO.

I just don't see how bigger is better applies here. I want a phone not a mini tablet.
55 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
You're in the minority.
No one wants those rinky dink screens.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
3095 posts
1332 upvotes
West
Do you have small hands or something? I for one am looking forward to the larger iPhone 6 screen, along with a ton of other people as it's one of the most anticipated iPhones ever!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I havesmall hands. 4" isplenty big.. That is wbat she said.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I don't even know how most of you can use a 5" screen.
If I never made phone calls my N4 would never leave my bag.
I wouldn't trade my N7 for anything smaller.
Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
*raises hand*
Disappointed with the idea of a bigger phone than the 5S/5C. Hoping they at least keep the smaller option. I think phablets are hideous and stupid looking, especially when making calls on them.
Let a phone be a phone, and an iPad an iPad. There's no reason to get confused. When you try mishmashing things together into one, you end up with something horrifying- like the Surface Pro 3 *quiver*.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
death_hawk wrote: I don't even know how most of you can use a 5" screen.
If I never made phone calls my N4 would never leave my bag.
I wouldn't trade my N7 for anything smaller.
I agree. I use a BlackBerry Q10. It has a 3.1" screen

I use a Nexus 7 for everything else.

It wasn't that long ago when cell phones were the size of bricks and everyone wanted a smaller handset.

Now everyone wants a phone the size of a brick.

If you use a phone as intended. Then get a phone. If you want to play Candy Crush, get a tablet.
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga
I just want to use the phone as a communication and networking device. With the occasional email, sent photo, viewed youtube video. 3.5-4 inches is plenty for GPS, sms, e-mail, photo, and even web browsing.

A phone shouldn't be used to watch netflix, or with an added bluetooth keyboard used as a laptop replacement.

"The proper tool for each job". Don't bastardize the process.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2175 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Good that some of you find a smaller screen useable for what you need.

I, on the other hand - glad there's more option there for screen size. I dont find having a tablet beneficial for me. But having a bigger screen on my phone (5.5 inches +) gives me the best of both worlds. Portability and useability.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
I agree with you here. Note 3 is big for me, it would easily slip off from my hand. However, I don't think the new IPhone will be considered "big" and I think it is the right size in these days.
PozzyD wrote: I just like a phone being a phone. If I need something bigger I'll pull out a Nexus 7 or another 10 inch Tablet.
Tell me this doesn't look ridiculous:
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
I still use a razr v3, perfect size/form factor. All these 5"+ screens just look ridiculous when you put them up to your ear.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
My last phone was an iPhone 4, and I was completely envious of those that were using the larger Android devices. Then I got a 5S and really felt the size difference. On the one hand, I'm not sure I could use anything bigger one-handed. On the other hand, I still kind of think the larger screens are cool.

I use my iPad quite a bit, but I always have my phone with me. So having a larger screen would be nice, BUT if it's bigger, would it be as easy to always have on me?
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga
Menace wrote: I agree with you here. Note 3 is big for me, it would easily slip off from my hand. However, I don't think the new IPhone will be considered "big" and I think it is the right size in these days.
I still think 3.5 inch to 4 is the sweet spot. You can see just how much bigger it is.

[IMG]http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content ... arison.jpg[/IMG]
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga
For me, I'm all about options. I think more options for consumers are good. I have nothing against big phones. My problem is it's impossible to find a powerful phone in a small size. That's what I liked about iPhones. The closest Android device is a Samsung S3/S4 mini in 4 inch (still kind of bulky, but under-powered regardless).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I have the Note 3 and I agree that it looks a bit silly holding it to your ear. But nowadays a cell phone is no longer a device to just call and text. They have evolved into mobile computers. A larger screen is a must and the standard 3.5 inches that Apple stayed faithful to for so long just didn't work out.
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: I have the Note 3 and I agree that it looks a bit silly holding it to your ear. But nowadays a cell phone is no longer a device to just call and text. They have evolved into mobile computers. A larger screen is a must and the standard 3.5 inches that Apple stayed faithful to for so long just didn't work out.
What can you do with a 5 inch screen that you can't with a 4 inch?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
PozzyD wrote: What can you do with a 5 inch screen that you can't with a 4 inch?
Nothing. A 4 inch can do everything that a 5 inch can do but the scrolling, pinching, and zooming becomes a pain.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)