Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey Blu-ray - $35.49 w/Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2014 4:02 pm
Tags:
Feb 19, 2006
912 posts
183 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Saukrates wrote: Jeez, this show is boring.
I fell asleep multiple times watching single episodes. In comparison I watched the Carl Sagan series in one sitting.

There's something about Neil Degrasse Tyson and his voice that just lulls me to sleep. The show being produced by Seth McFarlene did not help; but it did build hype for the series.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2010
1048 posts
853 upvotes
Milton
SizzleChest wrote: I have a pal-capable dvd player but amazon.co.uk won't ship them to canada.
They must have changed their policies then. I bought mine from Amazon UK about 3 years back. Haven't purchased anything in the past couple of years though.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
SizzleChest wrote: I have a pal-capable dvd player but amazon.co.uk won't ship them to canada.
They're sold by a 3rd party and not Amazon UK so that's probably the reason
Jun 9, 2008
139 posts
340 upvotes
ontario
websurfer wrote: I fell asleep multiple times watching single episodes. In comparison I watched the Carl Sagan series in one sitting.

There's something about Neil Degrasse Tyson and his voice that just lulls me to sleep. The show being produced by Seth McFarlene did not help; but it did build hype for the series.
In case people are wondering the writers for the original series were Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan(sagan's wife) &Steven Soter. The writers for the new series were the same Ann Druyan & Steven Soter (no Tyson).

It was interesting hearing Soter talk about writing both series on Tyson's StarTalk.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1513 posts
1494 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: [...].
Says the anonymous guy on the interwebs whom we should totally and unequivocally trust his clearly unbiased opinions right ?! Nobody ever lies on the interwebs...it's a series of tubes ! Preach !

Anyways...picked this up. Always enjoyed him when he would show up on Colbert and Stewart. Funny guy and yes he voice is definitely soothing to the ears.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
fudge_u wrote: Wow... this thread really died after the mods cleaned it up. One more day left for the sale.
Shh... no discussion allowed.
Feb 15, 2008
140 posts
44 upvotes
zz000ter wrote: The original Cosmos with Carl Sagan was very good.

This new Cosmos is nothing but global warming propaganda.
Not sure if you're trolling or being serious.

Either way, this was a fantastic series. It was left very basic and simple to understand for the general public. If it inspired eve 1% of its audience to get into the sciences it was more than worth it.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: If I can find the Carl Sagan version at a reasonable price, I'll buy it, otherwise I'm just gonna download it.
Yeah, i went that route, but loved the series so much that i kept an eye out for it on ebay and snagged a mint box-set for $35(north american one)
The new series is good, but like others have said, it skews to a younger audience.
I have watched the carl sagan series a few times(watch it on my tablet when its dead at work) and am not knowledgeable enough to say if the information is so dated that its no longer correct. I mean he occasionally mentions pluto being in the solar system, and talks about voyager 2 just passing saturn(this was in 1979[?]. Currently voyager 1 and 2 are both past pluto... and bit or cool trivia: we are still in communication with them, though they are expected to exhaust their power supply in the next 6-9 months) but the core stuff still seems spot on.

At first i didnt like how... well i'll just be blunt... 'crappy' the dramatizations were in carl sagans series, but i think they hold up better and are more universal than the cartoons in the new series. That said, the last 3 episodes of the new series are great, and really awe inspiring... Esp. the monolog done by carl sagan about 'the pale blue dot' in the last ep.(Guessing they got that from his audiobook "pale blue dot")

BTW - if you keep an eye on ebay for this series, you can prob. find it cheaper than what amazon is currently selling it for. I picked it up a few weeks ago for $30 total(including shipping) from a seller, still sealed and with slip-cover.

Edit- Oh, forgot to mention that there are 3 'versions' of carl sagans cosmos. There's the original one that was released on VHS, the collectors edition that was on DVD(7 disc box set, 2001 release date) that has higher-quality videos and images spliced into the original episodes, and a science channel update that includes even more modern videos spliced in(that was only broadcasted. No DVD or blu-ray discs were printed). Not sure if that will ever be released on DVD or blu-ray. Since all the original footage is from 35 year old tapes, i dont think anyone should hold out for blu-ray remasters though since they really dont have enough source material to properly re-do it.

Heres the amazing monologue by sagan... If you're even *SLIGHTLY* interested in this, watch this 9 minutes... Sorry, cant find a youtube video.
Dailymotion link
Really puts everything into perspective....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)