Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

Trendnet Powerline Adapter Kit $28

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2014 2:29 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
bowmah wrote: Did you find the powerline devices drastically benefitted your situation?
I still prefer Ethernet with VLANs. It's faster.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I still prefer Ethernet with VLANs. It's faster.
Only if one knows what Ethernet and VLANs are and only if one knows it's faster lol. And of course only if it can be accomplished by the user themselves.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2008
1555 posts
238 upvotes
St. John's
bowmah wrote: Who got in on this deal? Did you find the powerline devices drastically benefitted your situation?
I didn't get yet, but previously these power lines decreased packet losses, stabilized ping, gave better download (not upload though...) and so have a better overall connection for main gaming PC.

I ordered another set to add a IP camera as its dropping from wireless.
May 17, 2012
127 posts
47 upvotes
Calgary
ya I'll give it a try, thanks OP!
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
I want to buy this, but very confused about something.

It says not to use a power bar, but how does it work for the router end? My understanding, if I need 3 of these things, is that I'll need 3 separate outlets with 3 separate Ethernet cables connecting them to my router. Is this not correct?

(I have three devices in three different rooms that I want to connect to my router).
Nov 28, 2013
502 posts
227 upvotes
No it's like a switch, you'll only need one to connect to your router. Attach the other 3 to your separate devices.

You can use a power bar, it's the high end power bars with noise filtering that messes with power line since it uses frequency just below (and above for higher rated powerline's) 60Hz.

There's also slight signal quality degradation but the biggest issue are the noise filters.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Scubatorx wrote: No it's like a switch, you'll only need one to connect to your router. Attach the other 3 to your separate devices.

You can use a power bar, it's the high end power bars with noise filtering that messes with power line since it uses frequency just below (and above for higher rated powerline's) 60Hz.

There's also slight signal quality degradation but the biggest issue are the noise filters.
Gotcha. So still buy 3 of these things, right? And then I'll have two unused "ends" leftover since I'll have one straight to my router, correct?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
It's a kit and each kit comes with 2 devices. For 3 places + a router, just get 2 kits.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
bowmah wrote: It's a kit and each kit comes with 2 devices. For 3 places + a router, just get 2 kits.
Saved me money, thank you. Just purchased 2!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1819 posts
284 upvotes
GVR
Scubatorx wrote: No it's like a switch, you'll only need one to connect to your router. Attach the other 3 to your separate devices.

Any powerbar will greatly degrade the signal as well as having anything else plugged into the same outlet as the adapter.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Johnny Powel wrote: Any powerbar will greatly degrade the signal as well as having anything else plugged into the same outlet as the adapter.
Not necessarily. If the powerbar has absolutely no filtering and no LED light, then it won't have much of an effect. However the disadvantage is if you plug in something noisy on the same powerbar that will cause issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1819 posts
284 upvotes
GVR
Interesting, mine goes red and speeds are cut in half with pretty much anything in the outlet and i have tried a no filter powerbar but it has a led.
Otherwise it doubles wireless speed.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
Johnny Powel wrote: Interesting, mine goes red and speeds are cut in half with pretty much anything in the outlet and i have tried a no filter powerbar but it has a led.
Otherwise it doubles wireless speed.
That is also interesting. I see my adapters when on idle are rated at 11 mbps. When active it kicks into high gear and can range from 54 to 198 mbps depending on the device and location. This is based on the utility to see the network on the PC.
Dec 27, 2011
318 posts
30 upvotes
Stouffville
i received mine today , tried a few plugs but always blink red ,, is it a good sign or bad ???
signature removed for self promotion - What is wrong with self promotion ?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
nofai wrote: i received mine today , tried a few plugs but always blink red ,, is it a good sign or bad ???
Blinking red is not a good sign. To make sure the units are not defective, try pluging them all into power outlets in the same room. Sync them and see what light colour you are getting.

I should clarify, blinking = activity; red = lowest quality line but it should still work. Are you getting decent throughput? Amber is medium and green is best, but red should still work too.
Aug 30, 2012
999 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone try this with hooking this up with a smart tv, or any other similar devices, roku, ps3/4, bluray player & see major improvements for speeds in streaming netflix movies, etc...
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
darkknight74 wrote: Anyone try this with hooking this up with a smart tv, or any other similar devices, roku, ps3/4, bluray player & see major improvements for speeds in streaming netflix movies, etc...
Apple TV on Wireless N (5 GHz) was pretty quick in streaming Netflix movies. Did not see a significant improvement in speed as using 5 GHz was almost instantaneous to begin with. But after using the powerline adatpers, Airply is almost instant too. Prior to this, it would start just not as quick as now. HTPC runs much smoother now when going online or watching movies.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
Thanks OP!! works great. Gonna order another one now.

My internet is 30Mbps download /10Mbps upload.

Before on wifi in my office:
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3670951356.png[/IMG]

after:
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3670954077.png[/IMG]

EDIT:

Ooh, guess not. Sale is over now. :(

EDIT 2:

After removing and adding the item 3 times, it finally went through checkout at the sale price.
Dec 27, 2011
318 posts
30 upvotes
Stouffville
[QUOTE]Blinking red is not a good sign. To make sure the units are not defective, try pluging them all into power outlets in the same room. Sync them and see what light colour you are getting.

I should clarify, blinking = activity; red = lowest quality line but it should still work. Are you getting decent throughput? Amber is medium and green is best, but red should still work too.[/QUOTE]

I will try to test it out , thanks
signature removed for self promotion - What is wrong with self promotion ?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
1843 posts
203 upvotes
darkknight74 wrote: Anyone try this with hooking this up with a smart tv, or any other similar devices, roku, ps3/4, bluray player & see major improvements for speeds in streaming netflix movies, etc...
My PS3 Media server hasnt been this quick since I moved and went to wifi. THis thing has been great for netflix on the ps3 too!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)