Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

Antennas direct DB8e HDTV antenna $129.99 + free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2015 8:23 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
YLSF wrote: Looks like it was just removed from their web page. 5 minutes ago it still had an add to cart button but then said it was out of stock/not available after I added it to the cart. Now, when I do it again it just gives the option of adding to the wishlist.. Too bad, I would have grabbed one.
I hope this wasn't a price error and they still honor it.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
venice_it wrote: It is probably a great price for a great antenna but it doesn't necessarily mean it is the best antenna for your location. You need to research what is best for your area. Sometimes what is considered a 'lesser' antenna could get better results because it is the right antenna for your situation.
+1

From an RFD standpoint, you could save money if TVfool says a 4bay CM4221HD is fine for your location.

I'm personally using a 91XG pointing away from a neighbouring tower that would likely give me more problems if I used a wider beam antenna.
Apr 4, 2005
261 posts
74 upvotes
I really dont know what the fuss is all about. 8-bays are typically sold at around 50$. See TD, FD. Even the source has other 8 bay models for 50$. I bought a good 8 bay from FS last year for 60$. Or, make your own. The 4 bay I made is (almost) as good as the bought 8 bays.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
venice_it wrote: It is probably a great price for a great antenna but it doesn't necessarily mean it is the best antenna for your location. You need to research what is best for your area. Sometimes what is considered a 'lesser' antenna could get better results because it is the right antenna for your situation.
I agree, I purchased the four bay db4 last year but found it unacceptable for picking up CTV which is broadcast in the vhs high band at 13.1 here in Ottawa (from Camp Fortune, Gatineau). I ended up using a less expensive RCA antenna right next to the db4 in my attic to great success here in Ottawa South - Greely. The db4 is still in the attic if I ever get tempted to point it at New York.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: +1

From an RFD standpoint, you could save money if TVfool says a 4bay CM4221HD is fine for your location.

I'm personally using a 91XG pointing away from a neighbouring tower that would likely give me more problems if I used a wider beam antenna.
where does it say how many bay? I check and no info to be found
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 7, 2008
642 posts
396 upvotes
St Catharines
Can't stress how helpful this merged-hd-channels-over-air-antenna-461924/93/ forum has been - with tons of advice and q&a there I was able to set up my own rig with this exact antenna (I'm in St. Catharines so I was able to pick up both Toronto and Buffalo for about 27 channels with the Db8E).

TVfool.com is also completely indispensable if you're looking into cable cutting, it looks complicated, but you put in your address, and you can see which channels you'll (more or less) be able to pick up. If you scroll to the bottom it tells you what kind of hardware you should use based on what channels you want (i.e. green channels you can use indoor antenna, etc...).

I found it helpful to post a link to my tvfool report in the forum when asking advice for hardware as well

I ended up mounting this on an 8' mast on my chimney and using it as 2 ganged 4-bay antennas (i.e. pointing the armatures in 2 different directions) which isn't the best use of it but got me the most channels since I have a wide split here between towers.

If you do pick it you'll want to note that it doesn't actually come with a mount/pole/mast, you'll have to buy that separately if you don't have one
jalaram wrote: It's a huge thread, but check out merged-hd-channels-over-air-antenna-461924/93/. You have to have an ATSC tuner and many digital TVs have one. Location is important since you have to be near enough to the transmitters.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rotchm wrote: I really dont know what the fuss is all about. 8-bays are typically sold at around 50$. See TD, FD. Even the source has other 8 bay models for 50$. I bought a good 8 bay from FS last year for 60$. Or, make your own. The 4 bay I made is (almost) as good as the bought 8 bays.
A cheaply made antenna is the difference between going up to your roof within a few years because it's rusting out or plastic parts chipping away and having it last long term. It's exposed to the elements 24/7 after all.
There are also documented performance differences between different brand 8-bays for those wishing to more reliably receive further stations.
That said, it's location dependent and a 4228 may be fine (if an 8-bay is required to begin with) in your area.
I definitely would not buy a clone for an outdoor install.
kiasu wrote: where does it say how many bay? I check and no info to be found
My bad, it's extrapolated considering the distance to and the radius of the towers in your area.

Setting up OTA HD is a lot of trial and error. There is line of sight (not always necessary), height, obstructions, interference, etc.
For example having a high gain antenna and preamp may actually obliterate farther signals with near ones.
Best thing to do is buy one antenna (that is returnable), optimally place and direct it, before changing antennas, buying pre or distribution amps, and other accessories.

If you're testing, note every time you move it, you need to rescan on your TV to see what you got for additional channels. The TV will only lock the most recent scan.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
so u r saying there's no different between corolla is typically sold at around 20k and a Ferrari? both have wheels eh...LOL
rotchm wrote: I really dont know what the fuss is all about. 8-bays are typically sold at around 50$. See TD, FD. Even the source has other 8 bay models for 50$. I bought a good 8 bay from FS last year for 60$. Or, make your own. The 4 bay I made is (almost) as good as the bought 8 bays.
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I've been using two CM4221HD's (pointed at different directions) and preamp for 5+ years. I have different cable lengths and added a distribution amp (powered splitter).
I recently changed the one antenna pointed at Buffalo to a 91XG because CHCH is now RF 15.1 and causing interference. I still don't reliably get Fox 14.1, however, the other US stations are more reliable.

[IMG]http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t39 ... 371f3f.jpg[/IMG]

I'm not a pro or do installs but for questions and good discussion, go to the RFD thread in Computers and Electronics noted above.
Also join digitalhome and post in your area under "Reception results" to get an idea of what you need and works.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129

If you're considering cutting cable, almost everything that isn't coming in via OTA HD (provided you can receive a good complement of stations) from what I noticed at least is found online except for HD live sports and cultural programming.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
Question: Does rescan make any diff than I manually enter the channel to check whether it works or not?

Or I must go through the process of rescan to check
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Depends on the TV's ATSC tuner. Some are better than others. On one of mine, there is an option to "Add digital channels" by scanning (add to and not erase the current set), but none of them can just input a single channel numeric to scan it. When different stations are received at different antenna directions and your equipment is optimal, sometimes you have to make the choice which channels you want to keep on the surf list (if you have that add channels option).... or get a rotor.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Depends on the TV's ATSC tuner. Some are better than others. On one of mine, there is an option to "Add digital channels" by scanning (add to and not erase the current set), but none of them can just input a single channel numeric to scan it.
Yes there are some, ViewSonic HDTVs can scan just one channel in the factory menu.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
EdT586 wrote: Yes there are some, ViewSonic HDTVs can scan just one channel in the factory menu.
Good to know, thanks. None of mine do, I have a Pioneer Kuro, a couple of Samsungs and a Sony.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
What I am saying is...instead of go through the scanning which will take like 10 min...can I just manually go to channel 50-1 (example) and see if there is any signal show up...or I must go through the scan
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
kiasu wrote: What I am saying is...instead of go through the scanning which will take like 10 min...can I just manually go to channel 50-1 (example) and see if there is any signal show up...or I must go through the scan
99% of the time the answer is a big NO !
It depends on your HDTV's brand and model, if you have access into the factory menu then you might.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
Order Status:
ORDER APPROVED

now..i'm gonna let go my DB8...LOL...
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
kiasu wrote: Order Status:
ORDER APPROVED

now..i'm gonna let go my DB8...LOL...
Sweet!
May 12, 2004
435 posts
23 upvotes
Brampton
Any suggestions where to buy a grounding kit for the antenna?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
Mine shipped to store!
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
damn... looks like it's sold out. missed the boat on this one :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)