Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Amazon.ca]Kindle Paperwhite - $119

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2014 11:12 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 12, 2009
131 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, Staples will also have this deal in-store starting Friday if you prefer not to wait for shipping and/or collect Air Miles. It's in this week's flier but oddly enough it's listed as 4GB, not 2GB.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4506 posts
2547 upvotes
Thornhill
formicae wrote: Canada's been shipping 4gb Paperwhites for weeks. You only get a 2gb one if you buy it in the US.
tempta wrote: can anyone confirm this?
Yes, I can confirm this.

The Paperwhite I ordered from amazon.ca 3 weeks ago was a 4GB version.

And this was the reason why I elected to order one from amazon directly rather than picking up one from local stores (which most likely have older 2GB stock).
Jan 10, 2007
578 posts
800 upvotes
True, but when you click on more info from the flyer page view, the size shows up as 2GB. Will have to call Staples to verify the size.
Jun 23, 2013
19 posts
VICTORIA BC
I love the send to kindle. Any PDF I run across I just send to kindle and read it on my kindle
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1338 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
I've heard that kindle doesn't support public library use, and that kobo readers do.. is that true?
Nov 23, 2001
827 posts
290 upvotes
Montreal
ben35 wrote: I've heard that kindle doesn't support public library use, and that kobo readers do.. is that true?
If you mean natively support, I don't know what to tell you. I use Calibre to manage my kindle and download most of my books from the public library. Calibre convert automatically the adobe DRM crap to the epub format. I use also Calibre with my kobo and haven't seen a difference.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1338 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
Sounds good - you've convinced me. Any good source for cases.. other than Amazon's $40 leather ones?
Sep 2, 2008
263 posts
205 upvotes
I'm going to pull the trigger and get the Kindle paper white from staples at $119-$25 staples coupon.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
ben35 wrote: Sounds good - you've convinced me. Any good source for cases.. other than Amazon's $40 leather ones?
There are a lot of cases on eBay. I found Amazon's $40 leather cover for $20 including shipping (from overseas). But you have to really scrutinize the listings because there are a lot of clones including some that say they're leather in the title but "PU leather" in the fine print (polyurethane is NOT leather and "PU leather" is nonsense!). Or if you don't care about leather vs. non, there are a lot of very low-cost options in a huge range of styles. Just make sure it says it fits the current Paperwhite, and if it's not clear, ask the seller.

Or if you want to stick with Amazon, they (or other sellers) do sell other brands of cover at lower prices as well. Be sure to check reviews because I recall some great-looking covers had some significant faults.
Their Amazon-branded $40 leather cover is very nice, but it's actually easier to hold the Kindle without it when reading lying on your back, if that matters (it adds a bit of weight and bulk, and the edges aren't as grippy as the naked reader's). There are other covers that add holding straps but I haven't tried them.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24227 posts
43251 upvotes
ONTARIO
ben35 wrote: Sounds good - you've convinced me. Any good source for cases.. other than Amazon's $40 leather ones?
Definitely check out ebay. There are some cheap ones from China you can get for around $6 that are excellent. eBay search "slim smart paperwhite case"

This design below will be one of the results, I would suggest to stay away from it.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FldTEcQs.jpg[/IMG]

Nice looking case, but absolute garbage. Cheap material, flimsy, magnet uses is extremely weak, so it doesn't always activate the "smart feature" in the Kindle.

The other design with the metal clasp in the front is awesome. I have two of them. One with the built-in hand strap and one without (the one without has nice Kindle lettering impressed in the fake leather).

Here are some pics I took a while back when I got the case. Sorry for the dark lighting.

Front cover with Kindle impressed into it (ignore the small indent, that was my fault)
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/r4TI9aXs.jpg[/IMG]

Inside cover:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/F9Vtc7cs.jpg[/IMG]

Side by side size comparison to the Kindle Keyboard in the authentic Amazon Lighted Leather cover:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tlV78Txs.jpg[/IMG]

This cover is fantastic. The material (while being that fake looking leather) does not feel cheap compared to the flimsy one I mentioned above. The Paperwhite fits beautifully in it. Nice and snug. No way it will ever fall out. The magnet used to keep it closed is really strong. So the smart feature on the Kindle works extremely well with this case.
Close the cover, Kindle auto powers off. Open the cover, Kindle auto powers on.

As I mentioned above, I also have the one with the strap built into the inside of it for your hand. It's almost identical to the one in my pictures above, except for the strap. Also it does not have the Kindle writing on it.

You can get both these covers for $6-$7 and in a variety of colours.
Feb 17, 2012
216 posts
56 upvotes
itan wrote: I'm going to pull the trigger and get the Kindle paper white from staples at $119-$25 staples coupon.
The $25 off I have says no tablets, e-readers etc. Was yours $25 off no restrictions?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2591 posts
638 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
I watched a review on YouTube yesterday. The guy said if you buy paper book from Amazon you will get Kindle version with deep discounted price. Maybe it Amazon.com instead?
nksharp wrote: My only complaint is the cost is still about the same. I also wish if you had previously bought a book through them the ebook would be at a discount, instead of having to resort to other methods.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1457 posts
889 upvotes
ma678 wrote: I watched a review on YouTube yesterday. The guy said if you buy paper book from Amazon you will get Kindle version with deep discounted price. Maybe it Amazon.com instead?
Not sure, I don't own a kindle. Hoping people are right and a new version comes out soon so I am simply waiting on that. Had a nook a while ago but sold it.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2591 posts
638 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Does it say anywhere on the package it's 4gb model? When I look at specs on Amazon.ca, it still says 1000 books, which is for older 2gb version.
May 28, 2006
838 posts
592 upvotes
I haven't been keeping up with Kindles, but am looking to get one soon.

So only the US has 2 versions right? The ad version and the non ad version?

I don't see an option on the Canadian site, so we just get a non ad version?
May 5, 2006
991 posts
474 upvotes
My old kindle broke, and I was going to buy one because of the sale (thanks!) but are there no page turn buttons on the side?

So I'll have to use 2 hands to flip pages? I like to use one hand to read and the other to eat, so that's a bit sucky...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1703 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
randomthoughts wrote: My old kindle broke, and I was going to buy one because of the sale (thanks!) but are there no page turn buttons on the side?

So I'll have to use 2 hands to flip pages? I like to use one hand to read and the other to eat, so that's a bit sucky...
You can touch with your thumb on the right side of the screen to turn the page.
May 5, 2006
991 posts
474 upvotes
hackoder wrote: You can touch with your thumb on the right side of the screen to turn the page.
I tend to hold my reader/tablet in my left and eat with my right (because it requires less dexterity to flip pages than eat AYCE sushi)... can you flip the touch to the other side? (that's what I did with PerfectViewer on my android tablet, along with setting up the volume button to turn pages).
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1703 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
randomthoughts wrote: I tend to hold my reader/tablet in my left and eat with my right (because it requires less dexterity to flip pages than eat AYCE sushi)... can you flip the touch to the other side? (that's what I did with PerfectViewer on my android tablet, along with setting up the volume button to turn pages).
You can't flip it as far as I know, but essentially 80% of the screen is considered "next page". Top is to show the menu, and the absolute left is previous page. So, I'm assuming you can reach your thumb over from the left side as well and click on the next page area, though possibly not as comfortably as if you were holding it in your right hand. Definitely doable, just tried it..
May 5, 2006
991 posts
474 upvotes
hackoder wrote: You can't flip it as far as I know, but essentially 80% of the screen is considered "next page". Top is to show the menu, and the absolute left is previous page. So, I'm assuming you can reach your thumb over from the left side as well and click on the next page area, though possibly not as comfortably as if you were holding it in your right hand. Definitely doable, just tried it..
Thanks! Waffling now haha. I would just get the non-touch but the resolution and the lit screen are so tempting.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)