Careers

How to reach Wabasca, Alberta?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2014 8:21 pm
Jan 2, 2010
9 posts

How to reach Wabasca, Alberta?

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know how to reach Wabasca, Alberta from Toronto, Ontario? (I know there are flights to Edmonton, Alberta, but after that I am completely lost) I am also trying to find out if there are any car rentals.

I am really confused :cry: and need help in terms of any information about getting there. What kind of facilities are there in terms of living?

Thanks in advance :cry:
36 replies
Aug 29, 2004
952 posts
271 upvotes
I mean zero disrespect but if you can't figure this out, stay in ontario. You will have much bigger problems to solve on the job in Alberta, every day
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4107 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario
scarface wrote: I mean zero disrespect but if you can't figure this out, stay in ontario. You will have much bigger problems to solve on the job in Alberta, every day
LOL. yup.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Fly to Edmonton, rent car...looks like a four and a half hour drive heading north according to Google.
Apr 27, 2013
113 posts
19 upvotes
That is probably why they sent him to that poophole. Someone must hate him.
Buy a vehicle. If you have to take the Chip Road to camp or location, I wouldn't do it in a rental.
What are you going to Wabasca to do? That place is hell on earth
scarface wrote: I mean zero disrespect but if you can't figure this out, stay in ontario. You will have much bigger problems to solve on the job in Alberta, every day
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Another warning; rental companies often don't want you taking their cars on gravel or dirt roads, and sometimes have GPS so they know (among other things) if you took it on those roads. That's what my experience has been like in Ontario; maybe in Alberta they're more flexible on that...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
You want to get around in Alberta you better have your own car and a good set of winters.

Also... if you work out in the field here... you will be going to all sorts of places... ever heard of something called Google Maps? lol
Accountant (Public Practice)
Jan 2, 2010
9 posts
Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies. I actually got a Full-time teaching job at Wabasca that I am very excited about, but was very frustrated about not getting much info online in terms of how to get there through coach or something. I can see that there is absolutely no transport there and having a car would be a must.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
mzik786 wrote: Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies. I actually got a Full-time teaching job at Wabasca that I am very excited about, but was very frustrated about not getting much info online in terms of how to get there through coach or something. I can see that there is absolutely no transport there and having a car would be a must.
What did you expect? To take the local bus/train to work? My god man, I hope you got a little more common sense than that. I assume you didn't plan on ever buying a car? Very odd thread this one is.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Hydropwnics wrote: What did you expect? To take the local bus/train to work? My god man, I hope you got a little more common sense than that. I assume you didn't plan on ever buying a car? Very odd thread this one is.
Probably spent much of time in the city, lol... in for a nice surprise
Accountant (Public Practice)
Jan 2, 2010
9 posts
Thank you for your lovely comment, I have a car in Ontario.
Hydropwnics wrote: What did you expect? To take the local bus/train to work? My god man, I hope you got a little more common sense than that. I assume you didn't plan on ever buying a car? Very odd thread this one is.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
mzik786 wrote: Hey Guys,

Oh boy....did you not check where that job was located, or wonder why you cannot find much online, or why you likely got the job quite easily?

This is not a nice suburb outside of Toronto directly linked to the Go train...did you just randomly apply to any teaching job within Canada, without checkng?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Apparently Wabasca is very desperate for "teachers"
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Why are you guys making fun of the OP? At least he's getting a job, unlike some people that come here complaining that there are no jobs available anywhere, and how their industry has "done them wrong". Best of luck to you.
Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
Oh my.

You should really google Wabasca before you take the job. I wouldn't recommend blindly committing to relocating there just yet... :/
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
Mars2012 wrote: Why are you guys making fun of the OP? At least he's getting a job, unlike some people that come here complaining that there are no jobs available anywhere, and how their industry has "done them wrong". Best of luck to you.
Do you know where Wabasca is, its population? He took a job literally in the middle of nowhere up north, on what is pretty much a native reserve, and he thinks that he can take a bus or some form of transportation there.

He clearly has no idea what he has gotten himself into. While I think it's commendable he found a job, he is in for a massive culture shock. This isn't Peel District with nice schools, with plenty of places to go after work. OP sounds like someone who has never gone out of big cities or out of the GTA...

OP if you are still set in doing this, you will need the help of the school board that hired you for lodging and such.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Firebot wrote: Do you know where Wabasca is? He took a job literally in the middle of nowhere up north, on what is pretty much a native reserve, and he thinks that he can take a bus or some form of transportation there.

He clearly has no idea what he has gotten himself into.
I imagine there's been many people who have done the same thing...some people rise to the challenge while others complain about everything in their lives. Not saying I would do the same thing as the OP...I know someone who taught on a reserve in Northern SK and it was no cakewalk...but you've got to respect someone who is willing to step outside their comfort zone.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
mzik786 wrote: Thank you for your lovely comment, I have a car in Ontario.
Drive from Toronto to Wabasca using your car (according to the map, it takes 40 hours of drive time). :D
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
I guess its kinda like the opposite of the stereotypical rural/small town foll who move into the 'big city'.

You got a good heart op. Willing to live and teach in the middle of nowhere to a mostly 90% native community. Helping a community of Aboriginals who typically have higher incidents of substance abuse, incarceration, and mental/physical illness. Either that or youre willing to rough it out for some teaching exp.

Wait... Thats why you're going up there right?
Sep 10, 2012
274 posts
39 upvotes
I would expect that the school in a remote community like that should be able to at least point you in the right direction for transportation & housing.

I have a friend who worked at a school further north than that, where it was a solid day trip into High Level for most groceries etc.; I know she didn't have a car there and the school had a van of some sort that they used at least to get to and from High Level.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)