Contest Discussion(s)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:13 pm
Tags:
Jul 11, 2009
149 posts
63 upvotes
Brampton
Tracydeanne wrote: Giant Tiger contest...I just noticed there is a leaderboard there and was curious what it was, so took a look.

Someone had a streak of over 4000 correct answers in a row? Seriously? Is that possible?

At least they set a maximum number of contest entries.
Well after seeing someone had 2000+ correct guesses in a row, i just opened up the giant tiger website, flyers and amazon to get a general idea of the prices. Its just someone with a lot of time on their hands.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
ryuzaki wrote: Well after seeing someone had 2000+ correct guesses in a row, i just opened up the giant tiger website, flyers and amazon to get a general idea of the prices. Its just someone with a lot of time on their hands.
So it is possible I guess. Frankly, my initial thought was someone just set up a bot.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24228 posts
43256 upvotes
ONTARIO
ryuzaki wrote: Well after seeing someone had 2000+ correct guesses in a row, i just opened up the giant tiger website, flyers and amazon to get a general idea of the prices. Its just someone with a lot of time on their hands.
I have been using the website to check the prices. It REALLY helps with your entries. I never get too high though or else I feel like I will get one wrong and lose it all (happened twice).

I have about 180 entries, which is good enough for me.

Plus you start to get a lot of repeat higher or lower questions which makes it easier.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
I'm almost at 400 entries, but I suppose I could move faster if I didn't just guess at prices lol. And I do the same as you Bob, I just save and quit before I think I might give a wrong answer.

Max is 600 entries, I'm hoping I'll hit it.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
3121 posts
4712 upvotes
Ok, every time I share a contest on facebook for an extra entry my husband and son get notifications on their facebook page and in their emails. It's driving them crazy. How can they stop it? I still want them to get a notification if I tag them in a post just not for every little share I do. So if anyone knows where exactly in the facebook notification settings they go to modify their notifications I would appreciate the help.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
gofforever wrote: Ok, every time I share a contest on facebook for an extra entry my husband and son get notifications on their facebook page and in their emails. It's driving them crazy. How can they stop it? I still want them to get a notification if I tag them in a post just not for every little share I do. So if anyone knows where exactly in the facebook notification settings they go to modify their notifications I would appreciate the help.
If you click the down arrow in the upper right hand corner if Facebook, there is a settings option. Select it, and then on the left side, under Notifications, "How you get Notifications - e-mail, change the setting to “only important notifications”. It may currently be set to All, which might explain the emails.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
2447 posts
1615 upvotes
Ontario's West coast
I need some help!
I have been entering lots of contests since I have been off work in June. But I do NOT win anything. Can you guys that win lots give me some advice on just hot TO win something!
I do enter lots of them and at all times of the day but nothing!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
3121 posts
4712 upvotes
toguy wrote: If you click the down arrow in the upper right hand corner if Facebook, there is a settings option. Select it, and then on the left side, under Notifications, "How you get Notifications - e-mail, change the setting to “only important notifications”. It may currently be set to All, which might explain the emails.
Thanks. Changed their settings. Hopefully they will no longer be notified of every little thing I do. My son was going crazy. :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
gofforever wrote: Thanks. Changed their settings. Hopefully they will no longer be notified of every little thing I do. My son was going crazy. :cheesygri
Not wanting to spam friends/family with contest posts is exactly the reason I have had a second Facebook account for the last few years :)
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
3121 posts
4712 upvotes
toguy wrote: Not wanting to spam friends/family with contest posts is exactly the reason I have had a second Facebook account for the last few years :)
I only use my account for contests. If it wasn't for the fact that so many contests run through Facebook I probably wouldn't have an account at all or a twitter account.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
Horndogg wrote: I need some help!
I have been entering lots of contests since I have been off work in June. But I do NOT win anything. Can you guys that win lots give me some advice on just hot TO win something!
If you can listen to the radio throughout the day enter the local stations online member clubs and listen for call-in contests. The odds are way better than competing against everyone in national online contests. I've won a ton of tickets, swag, cash and qualified for trips and cars. GL
Jun 5, 2007
255 posts
534 upvotes
Ontario
I have a question... I going to leave yahoo and want to get rid of that email on my facebook account, do any of you know if I change my Facebook email if it will mess with my rafflecopter entries around the net (or other platforms that use FB for login entry)?
Dec 19, 2010
671 posts
5147 upvotes
Vancouver
You just keep entering. Local contests usually have your best odds rather than national or international contests, and by that I mean your local newspapers, radio stations, tv stations, malls etc. It's contesting though, there is no "trick" to winning. You could have great odds in a contest and never win it, you could have million to 1 odds and win that one, luck of the draw. The more you enter, the higher your odds. And remember, never expect to win a contest, it's all just gravy if you do.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
All contesting is based on random chance, no matter how long or how many contests you enter. So sometimes you win, most often you don't. I wish there was a trick! :)

That being said, I have the best luck with blog contests, less people entering, better chances. If you need some external validation of your contesting by winning "anything", blog contests are a good option. I go through spurts on entering blog contests, most of it is stuff I don't want, so I end up giving it away. So it depends on my time.
Jul 14, 2012
269 posts
1438 upvotes
wsiemens wrote: You just keep entering. Local contests usually have your best odds rather than national or international contests, and by that I mean your local newspapers, radio stations, tv stations, malls etc. It's contesting though, there is no "trick" to winning. You could have great odds in a contest and never win it, you could have million to 1 odds and win that one, luck of the draw. The more you enter, the higher your odds. And remember, never expect to win a contest, it's all just gravy if you do.
Agreed, good advice!
Deal Expert
Jan 11, 2013
15578 posts
5092 upvotes
Toronto
Just found out there were only 257 correct entries for that Oasis contest. For the folks who worked out the math, our odds were pretty good of winning a car. Too bad.
Wishing everyone a lucky 2023!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
I just participated in my first Twitter party last night, does anyone do Twitter parties regularly? I was wondering afterwards how winners are picked, do they use a computer program to randomly choose, or just pick out a name? The winner list came up very quickly.

It was interesting to do once as I was wondering what it's all about, but you pretty much have to book off that hour, its time-consuming. I couldn't do it on a regular basis.

And no, I didnt win anything. :(
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2009
5741 posts
1406 upvotes
sherlockmandango wrote: Just found out there were only 257 correct entries for that Oasis contest. For the folks who worked out the math, our odds were pretty good of winning a car. Too bad.
So how many were in there, does anyone know for sure?
Deal Expert
Jan 11, 2013
15578 posts
5092 upvotes
Toronto
noonefan wrote: So how many were in there, does anyone know for sure?
The correct answer was 2196, though this number was determined via formula and not generated practically.
Wishing everyone a lucky 2023!
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote: I just participated in my first Twitter party last night, does anyone do Twitter parties regularly? I was wondering afterwards how winners are picked, do they use a computer program to randomly choose, or just pick out a name? The winner list came up very quickly.

It was interesting to do once as I was wondering what it's all about, but you pretty much have to book off that hour, its time-consuming. I couldn't do it on a regular basis.

And no, I didnt win anything. :(
I tried a few and found them to be a waste of time. First of all, the same bloggers attend them and they seem to win the prizes most often. Secondly, the lack of transparency concerns me. Is it random? I guess you have to take their word for it. Some have an RSVP you have to send and winners are chosen from that list. Other parties choose from active participants in the ongoing party. The fast pace of the party convo makes me dizzy! IMO, twitter isn't very intuitive, but I'm from an older generation. I tried tweetchat but it was so slow I had to go back to the twitter application for hashtag chats.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)