Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Light Therapy Lamp Thread for Seasonal Affective Depression (SAD) This week: $43.99!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2015 9:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4438 posts
1927 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Kaitlyn wrote: How does this compare to the Phillips wake up lights?
About as well as a grapefruit compares to a LED TV.

They are completely different products, intended for entirely different purposes. Neither does what the other claims to do.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
makaturing wrote: Here's the thing..... if you really, really believe that a light can cure your depression.... it can!

If, on the other hand, you believe it's all a bunch of hokum.... it is!

Placebo effect.
Not true

Almost all trial use another artificial light source (look completely similar to the real thing just another light spectrum) when testing the efficacy of light therapy.

You really think scientist are dumb ?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
deal_king wrote: It is completely impossible to get that from a lightbulb.
I disagree. The light bulb from my beer fridge seems to work wonders for the winter blues.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
vonblock wrote: You really think scientist are dumb ?
No, I think people who believe in fairies, witch doctors, astrology, and light therapy are dumb.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
makaturing wrote: No, I think people who believe in fairies, witch doctors, astrology, and light therapy are dumb.
I'm curious what are your degree. I think you are what we call in our domain scientifically illiterate.

I have a Ph.d and read most of the meta-analysis on the subject, and do not believe in it (believing is too spiritual), We know it work. Science work. Light therapy is just basic science. We knew about it in the beginning of the 20th century. Now we just have irrefutable proof of it's efficacy.

Ignorance is a bliss they say, life must be so simple for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
:arrowu: Phd, eh? Somehow I doubt it, given your lack of basic grammar skills. Enjoy your shiny lights...
Oct 6, 2001
187 posts
24 upvotes
Good god, reading this thread you'd wonder why people would ever be reluctant to discuss mental illness [/sarcarm]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
makaturing wrote: :arrowu: Phd, eh? Somehow I doubt it, given your lack of basic grammar skills. Enjoy your shiny lights...
I'm French.

I do pay an English corrector for my paper. Too lazy to learn English or french grammar (Thank god it's not a requirement for the job).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
cellarboy wrote: Good god, reading this thread you'd wonder why people would ever be reluctant to discuss mental illness [/sarcarm]
vonblock wrote: I have a Ph.d and read most of the meta-analysis on the subject
Hey Vonblock, curious to get your opinion on this... Would you consider SAD a mental illness/disorder?

A couple of people in this thread seem to think so... I want to say it isn't but that's based on no absolutely no research..
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3400 posts
105 upvotes
I just got this yesterday and i m starting to feel more awake in the morning. I work in shared office with no natural lighting so for those of you who think this is a gimmick. Fact is not all of us work outside and able to get natural lights and we feel fatigue once in a while.

This may not work for everyone. FYI Bed Bath and Beyond has these available but are bigger, not portable, and its not LED. You can try it for yourself and if its not for you than simply return it.

Thanks OP
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
mtl-D wrote: Hey Vonblock, curious to get your opinion on this... Would you consider SAD a mental illness/disorder?

A couple of people in this thread seem to think so... I want to say it isn't but that's based on no absolutely no research..
There was change in the DSM-5 (the bible of psychiatry, if a disorder is in there, it mean it is medically recognized as something real).

Since the new edition, SAD is no longer a distinct diagnosis (AKA, you can't be diagnosed with it), it is now considered a sub category of depressive disorders (major depression, bipolar, etc.).

For example you could be diagnosed with major depression with seasonal pattern or bipolar disorder with seasonal pattern.

So yes technically it exist because it can exacerbate/trigger your depression, but in the end you will suffer from depression, not SAD.

Medicine is no exact science, and psychiatry even less, so for now this is it, maybe it will change in the future after some interminable scientific debate.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
Depression is a real illness that kills people. SAD is a joke.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
makaturing wrote: Depression is a real illness that kills people. SAD is a joke.
Like I said it trigger/exacerbate the depression. Burn-out is in the same category, it does not exist by itself but can lead you to major depression and suicide.

In fact people suffering from major depression with SAD are at higher risk of suicide attempt or complete suicide than people with only major depression.

On a funny note and to give a point to makaturing, there is an increased evidence that the return of strong light in the spring is associated with an higher risk of suicide. Scientists think it is caused by the light and not another confounding factors.
http://biosun01.biostat.jhsph.edu/~cfra ... atonin.pdf

On an even funnier note, one earlier study linked suicide with light therapy after 3 of the 4 patients committed suicide.

After further examination on large scale population, it was showed that light therapy improved suicide score for 45% of people and reduce it for 3%.

http://www.lightboxco.com/Articles_file ... ession.pdf
Aug 17, 2010
584 posts
157 upvotes
Laval
makaturing wrote: Depression is a real illness that kills people. SAD is a joke.
Spraining your ankle is a joke compared to tearing all the ligaments in your knee, doesn't mean you should run on it. SAD is still a thing, regardless of the degree of seriousness or danger it poses. It's something that affects people and there exist products that have been proven to help a good portion of those people, whether due to a placebo effect or not. Why you insist on staying in this topic and continuing to belittle the discussion I'm not quite sure. It's a product, it's a good deal, it helps people. Move on already.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Wow... WTF... people will buy it if they want it... what's there to argue about?

Who cares who has a PhD or whatever the classification of SAD is?!

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
t3359 wrote: Wow... WTF... people will buy it if they want it... what's there to argue about?
That's what people do.. give their opinions.. discuss things.. discussion can lead to debates/arguments.. sometimes it's interesting.. sometimes entertaining.. sometimes neither.. is this news?

It's a forum.. would you prefer RFD just be some kind of online deal flyer?
t3359 wrote: Who cares who has a PhD or whatever the classification of SAD is?!
Me.. maybe others..

The "who cares about" argument can be used for virtually anything.. obviously some people are interested.. some aren't (you).. move on..
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
I've known people who had SAD, as opposed to clinical major depression. They weren't crying all the time or unable to function. But the effect on their mood at the onset of winter was pretty bad. They became irritable, less patient, moody, depressed.

They used a lamp and in two weeks they were laughing and joking. I saw the change in them myself. I tried it myself and it actually clearly lifted my mood.

The winter and lack of sunlight depresses most people. Sunlight deprivation has a scientifically proven biological effect: most people have less energy, less motivation, sleep more, become irritable etc.

Just because we have always been living like this in Canada without these lamps doesn't mean this biological effect is not happening to us. (There's a reason why we all want to live in California.). It just means that we didn't really have a solution.

The dumb thing that I keep on seeing is people talking about it not working when they didn't even follow the instructions. You need to keep it 30cm from your eyes for 30 min and not stare into it directly. 10,000 lux refers to intensity in a beam of light, not lumens (brightness). You are only getting that intensity if you are 30cm away from the light.

My best suggestion to a doubter is to simply get the one from Costco.ca and try it for 3 weeks. Then return it if it doesn't work!
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
Jul 16, 2008
898 posts
249 upvotes
This is available at Costco (in warehouse) for 49,99$

HappyLight Liberty 10K Energy lamp

[QUOTE]Features/Specifications

Performance

Delivers 10,000 LUX* at up to 25cm/10”

Flicker-elimination technology reduces fatigue and eyestrain

Natural Spectrum illumination assures comfortable light therapy

Flexibility

High-Low intensity control switch for output flexibility

Tilt feature and wall-mount option allow more movement during sessions

Optix® High-Energy and Comfort interchangeable, replaceable lenses provide flexible light intensity and reduced glare to provide the eye with even stimulation

Convenience

Change lenses quickly with quick-change magnet system

Compact size for easy portability

Efficiency

Energy-efficient 36-watt, 10,000-hour fluorescent bulb provides the same brightness as a 150-watt incandescent

Dimensions

Weight: .91 kg/2 lbs.

Height with base: 34cm/13.5”

Width: 16.5cm/6.5”

Base dimensions: 11cm x 12.5cm/4.38” x 4.86”

Cord length: 183cm/6’[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
Shawns13 wrote: This is available at Costco (in warehouse) for 49,99$

HappyLight Liberty 10K Energy lamp
That's a pretty good deal! I wouldn't choose it personally because it takes a few minutes to reach full brightness. And also, it isn't as strong so you have to be 20cm away from it, which might not be comfortable.

Can anyone confirm that this lamp is selling in Costco in Quebec? And what price?
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
Jul 16, 2008
898 posts
249 upvotes
deal_king wrote: Can anyone confirm that this lamp is selling in Costco in Quebec? And what price?
This was at Costco rue Bridge (Montreal), today...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)