wanna make 100k easy? in Toronto? read this:

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2015 6:03 pm
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bhrm wrote: Easy as knocking on the door and walking into a house with a dead baby on the floor? Easy as not knowing the next car you pull over might pull a knife at you?

If it was easy everyone would be lining up to sign up.

This thread won't last long, something like this came up last year.
. you know what's a lot harder? cleaning up the actual mess...cleaners that are certified to clean it make like $20 a hr.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
b166er1337 wrote: Try dealing with criminals (robbers, rapists, thieves, scammers, murders) everyday and see how you would like to be compensated.
worth 50k ..this is toronto...and all that crap is even less in other GTA... lots of other much lower paid professions deal with those elements and they don't get to commit crimes and kill/assault with impunity like the cops

90% of police interaction/work is community work..only 10% is interaction with actual criminals
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3535 upvotes
LandKing wrote: too bad all stats refute your wrong assertions

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/workplace ... -1.2622466
That article and its stats do not say anything about life expectancy or physical/mental health issues. Issues and injuries can be seen as two different things. Injuries are counted by WSIB but issues may not be reported or surface later such as post retirement.

anyways this thread sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
My father is a retired 37 year member of the Toronto police and although he was often in roles that were life threatening (undercover work etc) he said it is pretty easy for a vast majority of guys to get onto a gig where they do nothing but ride bikes around Toronto all day (think 21 Jump street at the beginning).

Either way it is nearly impossible to join Toronto police now if you are a white male.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bhrm wrote: That article and its stats do not say anything about life expectancy or physical/mental health issues. Issues and injuries can be seen as two different things. Injuries are counted by WSIB but issues may not be reported or surface later such as post retirement.

anyways this thread sucks.
if you go read other studies..police never make it anywhere near top 20 let alone top 10 for deaths attributed to profession... highest is abestos exposure, fire fighters and of course the actual dangerous professions like logging, construction, retail (robberies) and for mental health...much worst stats from military folks

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/3-most-da ... -1.1166583

again police are not even mentioned

much much more dangerous jobs faced by countless other professions who get paid barely above min wage.

you do make a valid point about after job numbers..but those are hard to come by but anedoctally...fire fighters with soot lungs, construction/manufacturing workers with exposure to chemicals and etc... are much worst and we all know about the military folks with mental issues

at least cops have a very safe job and make it to retirement.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
qee_jo wrote: This thread can come go on and on, with everyone trying to justify others' pay checks.
We are taxed to death so gov employees can make 100k, most will never see 100k in private sector. That's the issue
Nov 8, 2008
240 posts
74 upvotes
I respect Police quiet a bit. Not only because they have a hard job, but because of their restraint. I could never be a cop based on my desire to see criminals pay for their crimes. If I knew that a child molester or wife beater lived at house X and I was sent to investigate, I couldn't help but take the guy into a room and break his legs. I'm too much of a redneck (bad temper) to be a cop so I applaud them for their integrity. They deserve the salaries they get.
Gym-Eat Steak-Sleep
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
Many of these cops work OT to get high salaries. This actually saves money as less people need to be employed thus saving on benefits and pension.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
markom wrote: Many of these cops work OT to get high salaries. This actually saves money as less people need to be employed thus saving on benefits and pension.
It's not the on-the-job stuff that gets them their high salaries. It's the cluster of rules, bylaws, and whatever that basically force every company around to hire cops at extortion-level prices to do stuff that's just done by regular employees and regular wage private security literally everywhere else in the world that drives up police salaries here. It's basically a mafia protection racket.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
police haters, i've been saying this for a while, sign yourselfs up, right the ship, revamp the system and show them how it's done

oh wait, that means taking your hands off the keyboard, what about the 109232 other things to rant about? it's not easy being an armchair revolutionist!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
lol revamp the system. ok

god forbid you discuss anything on a forum.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Ziggy007 wrote: My father is a retired 37 year member of the Toronto police and although he was often in roles that were life threatening (undercover work etc) he said it is pretty easy for a vast majority of guys to get onto a gig where they do nothing but ride bikes around Toronto all day (think 21 Jump street at the beginning).

Either way it is nearly impossible to join Toronto police now if you are a white male.
Thats funny...

The class is comprised of 13.5 percent women and 34.8 percent visible minorities. 56.2 percent speak two languages while 29.2 percent speak two or more languages.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1556880/new-r ... e-service/
Which must mean that 65% of new recruits were white... Canada still defines visible minority as everything else but white.
But the funny part is... Toronto is only 50% white according to the last census data
http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recen ... ll&Custom=

So despite all these myths of "omg if you're black, brown, asian you'll automatically get hired by the the Police!". Thats not necessarily true. The new recruits and still overwhelmingly White by a large margin despite TPS's best efforts to recruit minorities.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote: It's not the on-the-job stuff that gets them their high salaries. It's the cluster of rules, bylaws, and whatever that basically force every company around to hire cops at extortion-level prices to do stuff that's just done by regular employees and regular wage private security literally everywhere else in the world that drives up police salaries here. It's basically a mafia protection racket.
Fully agree, they should focus on high priority tasks.
Jun 4, 2007
484 posts
402 upvotes
Rural Alberta
LUMilkman wrote: Cops in Toronto very rarely face life threatening situations themselves. Based on the logic in your post, social workers should also get paid that much. Unless some crazed lunatic in a snow plow runs you over, it's a pretty safe job. But good luck getting in, ultra competitive and ultra cronyism.
It's good to have an expert such as yourself on Policing and Police Officers. I too kinda figured that it's a pretty safe job because I've seen a lot of movies with Police Officers in them and it doesn't really look like they do much. I'd like to know more though, please share what an average shift is like for these guys.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
Yorker86 wrote: It's good to have an expert such as yourself on Policing and Police Officers. I too kinda figured that it's a pretty safe job because I've seen a lot of movies with Police Officers in them and it doesn't really look like they do much. I'd like to know more though, please share what an average shift is like for these guys.
A good friend of mine is a cop in Hamilton, but apparently you're an expert on disputing my post? Please provide some insight into your knowledge of the subject at hand. Most people know a cop is glorified social worker the majority of the time, especially in a place like Canada with such a violent crime/murder rate, even Toronto only has had 7 murders this year.
Jun 4, 2007
484 posts
402 upvotes
Rural Alberta
LUMilkman wrote: A good friend of mine is a cop in Hamilton, but apparently you're an expert on disputing my post? Please provide some insight into your knowledge of the subject at hand. Most people know a cop is glorified social worker the majority of the time, especially in a place like Canada with such a violent crime/murder rate, even Toronto only has had 7 murders this year.
My knowledge comes from watching Hollywood movies and reading forum posts from experts such as yourself that have friend cops. I'm sure your "glorified social working cop friend" supports your theory.

Sorry to hear that you never made it. At which stage in the process did you get booted? Was it the little pot smoking here and there? Grey area crime right?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
LUMilkman wrote: A good friend of mine is a cop in Hamilton, but apparently you're an expert on disputing my post? Please provide some insight into your knowledge of the subject at hand. Most people know a cop is glorified social worker the majority of the time, especially in a place like Canada with such a violent crime/murder rate, even Toronto only has had 7 murders this year.
:lol: do you put that on your resume?

qualifications like this makes me laugh, and to assume cops have nothing to do besides dealing with murders is equally laughable

i think their pay is justified based on the minority of times their life is at risk, i wouldn't do what they do for 100k
Aug 9, 2012
80 posts
BRAMPTON
Well... people have always been complaining that government workers don't get paid enough. And when someone like the police officers DO get paid... a lot.. people blow a gasket.

I don't see the big deal is, honestly. These guys are the line that separates us folks from murders, rapes, pillagers and pirates.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)