• Apr 28th, 2015 10:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
EugW wrote: Anyhow, I hate Kijiji these days. Sellers often have unrealistic selling prices, and buyers are often not serious, trying to win the low-ball lottery.
Well, I hate people in general, but a seller technically can ask whatever the heck they want for their used car. It is their car. If anyone ever complains about my asking price, I tell them to move along and buy another one ... clearly their is something desirable about my car or you wouldn't have contacted me or came and looked at it in the first place (often a rare sports car of some sort, only one for sale in town, or a smattering of them across the country). It matters not to me what a "book used by and funded by the car dealers" says, that's what I personally value the car at.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote: Well, I hate people in general, but a seller technically can ask whatever the heck they want for their used car. It is their car. If anyone ever complains about my asking price, I tell them to move along and buy another one ... clearly their is something desirable about my car or you wouldn't have contacted me or came and looked at it in the first place (often a rare sports car of some sort, only one for sale in town, or a smattering of them across the country). It matters not to me what a "book used by and funded by the car dealers" says, that's what I personally value the car at.
I've taken your advice. I won't buy a car on Kijiji these days. Usually not worth the time and hassle. My last used car purchase was at a dealer. Certified Pre-Owned, with manufacturer warranty.

I might sell on Kijiji though, since the trade-in value will likely be low.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2643 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
I had some wheels listed for 1K. A guy offered me 800 andI said ok.

The day he was supposed to pick, he asks me to lower the price because he partied all weekend.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
AtlsNBP wrote: I had some wheels listed for 1K. A guy offered me 800 andI said ok.

The day he was supposed to pick, he asks me to lower the price because he partied all weekend.
Yeah, idiots. Also, the worst is when people don't bother showing up at all. Thanks for wasting my time.

Hmmm... Losing money on a trade-in suddenly doesn't seem so horrible.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
AtlsNBP wrote: I had some wheels listed for 1K. A guy offered me 800 andI said ok.

Heh, I had a kid make me come to him (felt bad for him, exchange student, no vehicle) so I did. After wasting an hour of my time at the campus, he offers me $3k on something I was asking $6k for.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6962 posts
6078 upvotes
Oakville, ON
samyou92 wrote: LOL has that actually happend to you? atleast now i know to make meetup places only 5 minutes away from where i reside so itll be inconveniencing the buyer if he pulls something like this
Yep - have had this happen a few times, unfortunately. I stick firm and a couple times there was a magical appearance of the cash shortage when the guy checked what he had in his car again.

Once though, I just took the lower amount as I was having difficulty selling it at any price. And once I stuck to my guns and didn't close the deal - it was a basket of a few items and I held back what he didn't have enough money to cover.

Trolls are everywhere!
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
EugW wrote: Anyhow, I hate Kijiji these days. Sellers often have unrealistic selling prices, and buyers are often not serious, trying to win the low-ball lottery.
This.

Kijiji is a cesspool.

I’ve shared this before, but when we were cleaning stuff out to move I had a set of martini glasses I listed FOR FREE. Just pick them up. I had a girl expect me to meet her halfway since I lived on the other side of the city, I had a lady ask if she could come look at them first & a guy never bother to come. Needless to say, they went straight into the dumpster in the end because ***** it, I don’t have time to waste on that *****.

I’ve had the same thing happen with a TV, children’s clothes & car parts – Nothing but time wasters & tire kickers. I’d honestly rather just save it all for a garage sale & deal with the Hutterites. At least that’s only a weekend wasted once a year, lol.

I’m dreading selling my car honestly since it will appeal to a very small niche (Speed6). Right now there are 2 07’s for sale in all of Canada on Autotrader. I know having an unmolested, low KM version with records from both owners should result in a higher price, but I doubt I’ll get an offer from Kijiji locally for more than 10k for it.

It appeals to the lowest common denominator is the problem. With the exception of big ticket items like vehicles, people who are well off with money just go buy new stuff and turf the old. People without it (or are too cheap) end up there & the cycle repeats.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Gutty96 wrote: According to autotrader, for a private sale I think the "lowball" price is more realistic that the OP's asking price.

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/mazda/mazda5/2012/
Correct, But ONLY if it had 132,000 kms and not 32,000kms. Otherwise his price seems appropriate.
Unless you're refering to a different autotrader site than you linked?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
1 guy said he had no car & begged me to drive to him. Took 30 mins each way, in rain too (1 hr total). When I got there he texted me that he had found a better price (by $20, seriously, lol). He demanded I lower my price or he wouldn't come out to meet me. Out of principle, I decided not to lower it, even though $20 wasn't a big deal to me. So I told him I'm leaving. 30 mins later, he calls begging me to meetup with him again, he said the other guys iPad was full of scratches & in bad condition (mines was mint). He even said he would go to my place instead of me driving back to him. I just laughed at him. Karma
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Pauly Boy wrote: I’ve shared this before, but when we were cleaning stuff out to move I had a set of martini glasses I listed FOR FREE. Just pick them up. I had a girl expect me to meet her halfway since I lived on the other side of the city, I had a lady ask if she could come look at them first & a guy never bother to come. Needless to say, they went straight into the dumpster in the end because ***** it, I don’t have time to waste on that *****.
I leave usable stuff I don't want and don't want to sell on the curb. It goes quickly. If it's a big item (eg. sofa) I might advertise on Craigslist in the free section, and it will be gone soon if in good condition. Saves having to haul it to the dumpster.
I’m dreading selling my car honestly since it will appeal to a very small niche (Speed6). Right now there are 2 07’s for sale in all of Canada on Autotrader. I know having an unmolested, low KM version with records from both owners should result in a higher price, but I doubt I’ll get an offer from Kijiji locally for more than 10k for it.

It appeals to the lowest common denominator is the problem. With the exception of big ticket items like vehicles, people who are well off with money just go buy new stuff and turf the old. People without it (or are too cheap) end up there & the cycle repeats.
The reason I am considering selling a car on Kijiji is because it's a 2008 Yaris. Popular and common car, in a price range Kijiji types would be interested in.
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
I haven't sold anything big on Kijiji
The worst lowball was for my bowflex adjustable weights (retail $350) I was selling (mint) for $250
I was offered $140 by a kid who said he had to talk to his mom first before coming. I didn't reply to any of his emails yet he still showed up with his mom I didn't bother answering the door and they buggered off after 5min
2003 Ford Ranger Std Cab
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
raspeed wrote: Well, I hate people in general, but a seller technically can ask whatever the heck they want for their used car. It is their car. If anyone ever complains about my asking price, I tell them to move along and buy another one ... clearly their is something desirable about my car or you wouldn't have contacted me or came and looked at it in the first place (often a rare sports car of some sort, only one for sale in town, or a smattering of them across the country). It matters not to me what a "book used by and funded by the car dealers" says, that's what I personally value the car at.
you sound like an awfully pleasant person to be around :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
Jaimz2k wrote: I haven't sold anything big on Kijiji
The worst lowball was for my bowflex adjustable weights (retail $350) I was selling (mint) for $250
I was offered $140 by a kid who said he had to talk to his mom first before coming. I didn't reply to any of his emails yet he still showed up with his mom I didn't bother answering the door and they buggered off after 5min
learn from this mistake!
NEVER put your exact address! Especially if its your home! You may get all sorts of crazies coming to your door.
Just put in your postal code or the address of a very nearby plaza.
only give your real address when you've verified the buyer as somewhat serious.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1463 posts
414 upvotes
A dealer will sell this car for about 15k, and will pay no more than 12k for your car.
Once there was a real deal in front of me I did not cherish. Not until it went OOS did I learn to regret. There's no greater sorrow. If heavens would grant me another chance I would buy buy buy. If I must put down a quantity, I hope it is 10000
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14471 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Jaimz2k wrote: I haven't sold anything big on Kijiji
SomeOtherDude wrote: learn from this mistake!
NEVER put your exact address! Especially if its your home! You may get all sorts of crazies coming to your door.
Just put in your postal code or the address of a very nearby plaza.
only give your real address when you've verified the buyer as somewhat serious.
Yep exactly...agreed with SomeOtherDude...what if they decide now they are angry at you? They were crazy enough to lowball and then show up at your door. Who knows what they might do? You may have gotten lucky this time.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
offering 50% is the norm and sometimes you can get a hit on it.

doesn't hurt to try.
Sep 28, 2007
554 posts
31 upvotes
nomdesplumes wrote: offering 50% is the norm and sometimes you can get a hit on it.

doesn't hurt to try.
man... as indicated in the prime example post.. serio...heels-1702771/
you are the typical worst lowballer kijiji is infected with.. its not only rude, but only succeeds in destroying your own image.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11164 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: Correct, But ONLY if it had 132,000 kms and not 32,000kms. Otherwise his price seems appropriate.
Unless you're refering to a different autotrader site than you linked?
You mean like this one, only $1000 more than the "lowball" off. Point is, there is all kinds under $15k from dealerships, not private.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Mazda/MAZDA5 ... =13_15_165
Feb 3, 2015
150 posts
52 upvotes
Windsor, ON
There is a pretty sneaky lowball tactic people use. Some people make multiple e-mail accounts and then bombard the seller with low ball offers to see how low he is willing to go, and also to annoy him and make him lose hope. Then they will email the seller with a low offer and see if he takes it after being annoyed with all the lowballers.

Amazing what people do to save a few bucks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)