• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2016 8:47 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes

Grubs Destroying Lawn

My backyard is full of dead grass due to grubs.

This happens every year but seems worse this year. What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Nematodes in the fall.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Go to Buffalo and buy their pesticides inside the home depot. There are gallon sprays you can buy that kill all grubs. Much more cost effective than nematodes and actually work. Now I didn't tell you this cause those pesticides are banned here in Ontario.

One application and you are grub free for a long time.
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Go to Buffalo and buy their pesticides inside the home depot. There are gallon sprays you can buy that kill all grubs. Much more cost effective than nematodes and actually work. Now I didn't tell you this cause those pesticides are banned here in Ontario.

Is this something I can order online just like weed killer or would I have to physically drive to the states?

Also, what brand/product do you recommend?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Nematodes worked for me, haven't had a big problem since after one application a few years ago now.

Don't poison the water just for the sake of grass, it's not that hard to throw some grass seed down every year to replace the patches that you can't save.
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes
When would I apply this product? I read the bayer merit stuff says before egg hatch? When do these particular grubs egg hatch?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
zibzer wrote: When would I apply this product? I read the bayer merit stuff says before egg hatch? When do these particular grubs egg hatch?
Google
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2206 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
zibzer wrote: When would I apply this product? I read the bayer merit stuff says before egg hatch? When do these particular grubs egg hatch?
Merit should be applied in late May or early June. In the early spring, the damage has already been done. Merit stops the cycle of larva -> pupae -> beetle -> egg -> larva that occurs when you have an infestation.

Make sure you remove the dead grass, put down topsoil and reseed the areas of grub damage before spreading Merit.

I have found nematodes to be absolutely useless since their application method is so specific and even if they are applied correctly, they're only successful in destroying grubs 40% or less of the time. Chemicals and insecticides are still the best way to go.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
zibzer wrote: Is this something I can order online just like weed killer or would I have to physically drive to the states?

Also, what brand/product do you recommend?
Cannot order it as it is not permitted in Ontario. I really don't want to say this, but other products people suggest don't actually work too well. The nematodes will work, but it takes time. This stuff from the USA is pretty instant. But of course, it is banned here in Ontario. I don't advocate using it since it is banned for a good reason, but if you are really desperate... well up to you.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2206 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
Anikiri wrote: Cannot order it as it is not permitted in Ontario. I really don't want to say this, but other products people suggest don't actually work too well. The nematodes will work, but it takes time. This stuff from the USA is pretty instant. But of course, it is banned here in Ontario. I don't advocate using it since it is banned for a good reason, but if you are really desperate... well up to you.
Merit is not banned in Ontario. Professional lawncare companies and golf courses still have access to it. As such, you can purchase and use it legally on your own lawn. The problem is that most Ontario stores don't carry it due to the ridiculous pesticide ban. Under the ban, many insecticides are still allowed.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
zibzer wrote: My backyard is full of dead grass due to grubs.

This happens every year but seems worse this year. What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Thanks!
Go to the States and buy some grub killer - it's legal to import since the ban is provincial. The ban is for "use" not ownership of pesticides.
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your input! Next year I hope I don't go through this again.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1379 posts
80 upvotes
Milton
So if you declare the pesticide they can't seize it at the border? I have the same problem, but I live in a subdivision, would this product be useless for me unless all my neighbours used it since I'm sure grubs don't stay within property lines?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Are you sure it is grubs? Lift a dead patch and see how many grubs per square foot.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
It doesn't matter what you do because your neighbours will spread them back to your lawn. The beetles fly.
Jun 15, 2006
67 posts
2 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Go to Buffalo and buy their pesticides inside the home depot. There are gallon sprays you can buy that kill all grubs. Much more cost effective than nematodes and actually work. Now I didn't tell you this cause those pesticides are banned here in Ontario.

have you done this recently? gov website says you can only bring back 500g...
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
greatphil wrote: have you done this recently? gov website says you can only bring back 500g...
I am not going to say whether I've done it. But it does work.

Application isn't right now though, you apply them in the late fall. So if you have grubs this year, and you want to get rid of them... not much you can do now.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
There's a Grub killer on the Horseloverz site that you can order....That's all I'm going to say. You can connect the dots yourself between this thread and the more weeds than grass thread.
Jul 20, 2012
783 posts
345 upvotes
Guelph
greatphil wrote: have you done this recently? gov website says you can only bring back 500g...
I bought a bag of Grub-X in West Virginia last weekend. When I was at Customs (Peace Bridge) I told her I had Grub-X and it wasn't an issue. She let me go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)