Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto

Look - Trolls, Trolls Everywhere

Un... So many insane threads created by new posters.

How about new members can only post in threads until they reach over 1000 (even a few hundred) legit/mod approved posts before creating such threads to curb this stuff.

Thoughts?
15 replies
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
I highly doubt the mods or admins are interested in having to approve and manage hundreds (or thousands) of posts for the purposes of thwarting a few trolls. Trolls are part of the reality now of participating in online discussion. The ignore button works great (as does the report button).
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Understand that mods probably have more pressing matters at hand. I know there are other forums in which this type of suggestion is practiced. I thought it might be beneficial to RFD as well.

How about 100? :)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
I know, trolls everywhere man
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Speaking of Mods, I know they don't get paid, but what perks do they get. Im sure they have jobs and a life, do it out of the kindness of their heart?
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
Spidey wrote: Speaking of Mods, I know they don't get paid, but what perks do they get. Im sure they have jobs and a life, do it out of the kindness of their heart?
They get to be a keyboard God.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Spidey wrote: Speaking of Mods, I know they don't get paid, but what perks do they get. Im sure they have jobs and a life, do it out of the kindness of their heart?
Honestly, there are no perks. I do it not out of kindness, but because I've been here a long time and thought I should lend a helping hand in keeping the site running as smooth as possible (not that I have a big part in that, believe me, I'm not overstating my importance here). On top of that, trolls and rude posts drive me crazy, so I thought instead of just complaining about those things, I should help clean them up. It is time consuming some days and with the nice weather lately it's been difficult to help out much.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
No matter how many times this gets stated, it's always met with suspicion. We (anyone with a Moderator title) do not get paid, we're all volunteers. On Christmas we may receive a Tims card for a nominal amount, but that's done just as a gesture of good will on the part of the Admins and not something that is expected or guaranteed. We get a bigger inbox and we get to provide a tiny input on how to make the site better. That about sums up our perks.

Yes we have other interests outside of this site. I don't know about the rest of the team, but I do it because I've been here for a very long time and I genuinely love seeing users who help the community, whether it's finding a great deal, posting helpful repair tips, organizing group buys, or just being a positive member. I want to see more of that and less of the problematic posts that can sometimes overshadow and take focus away from what's really important.
SweetiePieGumdrop wrote: They get to be a keyboard God.
I prefer the term The Board Warrior.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
koffey wrote: Un... So many insane threads created by new posters.

How about new members can only post in threads until they reach over 1000 (even a few hundred) legit/mod approved posts before creating such threads to curb this stuff.

Thoughts?
You can never put a restriction like this. Many who sign up want to ask a simple question and not want to go through 1000 post to get there. And besides look at these new trolls who have hundreds of posts and only signed up 1-2 months ago... Their posts are mostly garbage whether they started a thread or replied to one. By stating you need to get 1000 posts to start your own, will only encourage them to spread more their crap all over other threads rather than containing it in their own thread.

I like that the mods are locking these threads, but I would suggest that they always post a link or copy the rule(s) of RFD forum that was/were broken before locking the thread. Too often I see thread just closed with no explanation... or a very little description like, "Low content, locked". Yet "Low content" is not in the forum rules anymore.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
MrDisco wrote: I prefer the term The Board Warrior.
Some days it's more like Bored Warrior.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: You can never put a restriction like this. Many who sign up want to ask a simple question and not want to go through 1000 post to get there. And besides look at these new trolls who have hundreds of posts and only signed up 1-2 months ago... Their posts are mostly garbage whether they started a thread or replied to one. By stating you need to get 1000 posts to start your own, will only encourage them to spread more their crap all over other threads rather than containing it in their own thread.

I like that the mods are locking these threads, but I would suggest that they always post a link or copy the rule(s) of RFD forum that was/were broken before locking the thread. Too often I see thread just closed with no explanation... or a very little description like, "Low content, locked". Yet "Low content" is not in the forum rules anymore.
You missed the point that each post needs to be approved by a mod. Very difficult to spread the junk if your posts are not getting approved right? But back to your argument, I don't see why it would be an issue for a new sign up to post in an existing thread for their question. The mod wouldn't have an issue approving it being legit. Besides, if you find your issue/question on RFD via google, I would like to think that the person would be intelligent enough to read the posts before hand to ensure it deals with their question. In that, they might find a solution to their question/problem/whatever and then wouldn't need to join up in order to post.

Help yourself escapes a lot of people these days. tl;dr, that's the problem.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1796 posts
332 upvotes
Just throwing this out there, but how about restricting "new" members from posting in Off-Topic for 6-month waiting period? Other than OT and maybe Automotive, is this an issue in any other sub-forums?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1796 posts
332 upvotes
Also, can restrictions be sub-forum specific? Say a member mostly trolls the Finance forum and accumulates 6 infraction points. Can this member be restricted from the Finance forum until the points expire or drops below the threshold? Basically, before getting to the point of a complete RFD temp ban, the member is only restricted from the sub-forum where they're causing trouble.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Honestly, there are no perks. I do it not out of kindness, but because I've been here a long time and thought I should lend a helping hand in keeping the site running as smooth as possible (not that I have a big part in that, believe me, I'm not overstating my importance here). On top of that, trolls and rude posts drive me crazy, so I thought instead of just complaining about those things, I should help clean them up. It is time consuming some days and with the nice weather lately it's been difficult to help out much.
Ive been here since the start, and never been asked. I think I even asked years ago and got denied. Guess Im to outside the box.

I would agree I would help if its slow or winter time, good luck anytime between now and when the snow flies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
koffey wrote: You missed the point that each post needs to be approved by a mod. Very difficult to spread the junk if your posts are not getting approved right? But back to your argument, I don't see why it would be an issue for a new sign up to post in an existing thread for their question. The mod wouldn't have an issue approving it being legit. Besides, if you find your issue/question on RFD via google, I would like to think that the person would be intelligent enough to read the posts before hand to ensure it deals with their question. In that, they might find a solution to their question/problem/whatever and then wouldn't need to join up in order to post.

Help yourself escapes a lot of people these days. tl;dr, that's the problem.
And approving thousands of posts is a good use of mods' time? They can't read every post made by every newb to approve. Most of the time, they only have time to look at the ones reported... and even then I question whether they actually do look at all flagged posts.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
WorldIRC wrote: The ignore button works great (as does the report button).
The "report button" is easy to find; but I had to go digging for the "ignore button".

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)