• May 26th, 2015 7:57 am
Tags:
None
Oct 18, 2013
594 posts
184 upvotes
Brampton

buying a 2011 g37 with 120k

hey guys, this isn't for me but for a really good friend he asked my suggestion. i know little about these cars so I'm asking you guys,what do you think
is it gonna be reliable? parts cheap? are those kilometres too many? and how long do these last for? thanks appreciate all the help. its listed for 17,500

UPDATE : HE ended up going with a 2011 328i with 105,000. for 18k. had a $500 claim on it but thats nothing. it was from bmw hamilton (finance) had a tiny dent in the rear panel.dealer said will repair. all in really nice car, good condition.
27 replies
Mar 5, 2015
157 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary, AB
General, 4 years old car 120k it's not so much, but it's not so important, more important is the condition of car. Price tells to me, that it must be in great condition. What your friend tell you about it?
Oct 18, 2013
594 posts
184 upvotes
Brampton
CRSAutomotiveOakville wrote: General, 4 years old car 120k it's not so much, but it's not so important, more important is the condition of car. Price tells to me, that it must be in great condition. What your friend tell you about it?
he said he's gonna go check it out today I'm going with him. ill ask him a link of the ad. tell me, from the pics it looks pretty good.
http://www.yorkdalefinecars.ca/certifie ... bb0c7a.htm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Generally very good level of workmanship and reliability. As far as I know, very few mechanical issues have plagued these cars. The most important task on buying a used vehicle is to do your homework by getting it thoroughly checked by a mechanic who is knowledgeable and familiar on Infiniti line. Don't take shortcuts as it may cost your friend a lot more later once he becomes the owner.

http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/2 ... -they.html
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2208 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
I would definitely negotiate the price down. If you can do $17k OTR I would say it's fair.. Infiniti/Nissans depreciate a lot and very fast so I would caution your friend on that and ensure they plan to keep the car for a while. I'd imagine that this dealer got it for sub 15k which is closer to the book value.

I'd also expect that an extended warranty cannot be purchased from Infiniti with this mileage. For that reason I would probably try to find out with less than 100k/4 years from in service date. I haven't had the best experiences with Nissans and infinities and have had at least 5 of them in my family over the past 5 years. Most have been sold/traded in quickly.
Oct 18, 2013
594 posts
184 upvotes
Brampton
2K6TSX wrote: I would definitely negotiate the price down. If you can do $17k OTR I would say it's fair.. Infiniti/Nissans depreciate a lot and very fast so I would caution your friend on that and ensure they plan to keep the car for a while. I'd imagine that this dealer got it for sub 15k which is closer to the book value.

I'd also expect that an extended warranty cannot be purchased from Infiniti with this mileage. For that reason I would probably try to find out with less than 100k/4 years from in service date. I haven't had the best experiences with Nissans and infinities and have had at least 5 of them in my family over the past 5 years. Most have been sold/traded in quickly.
didn't know about the depreciation! will let him know.
Mar 4, 2006
135 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
I haven't heard of many issues with the G37. Judging by the km's, it seems like it was a highway driven car (30k a year in the city would be a LOT of driving).

The G37 has been around for quite awhile and quite a few parts are shared over several models so I don't see them being a problem to get or being too expensive..

I think it's a fairly good price.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Surprisingly I find that these newer model cars ( and this one is V6) is giving ( or at least advertising) same fuel efficiency as my 4 cyl 12 year old car.
Have they improved the fuel efficiency drastically in last decade ? Even with the bigger engines ?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2014
1015 posts
227 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Yes on the highway most modern V6s get as good mileage as older 4 cyl's. In the city it's a different story. My car has a V6 and gets around 30 mpg on the highway and high 30's if driving at 90 km/h which seems to be its sweet spot.
Pentium 1 166 Mhz | 32 Mb Edo Ram | Seagate 1.4 Gb Ide Hard disk | 3dFX Voodoo1 Pci Video Card | 250W PSU | SoundBlaster Pro sound card | 14" SVGA Monitor
Apr 23, 2004
978 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Myg37.com

Actual owners with answers to just about anything related to the car. I myself own a 2008 g35x and knew from the get go about the issues and problems these cars can encounter. If your friend is serious about getting one tell him to do research on specific forums and not just generic ones like rfd. Just my two cents
Sep 18, 2012
405 posts
365 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I have a 2003 G35 that has 265km on it. The engine/transmission is still rock solid. It had some issues at the 10yr mark (had to replace radiator, starter)....outside of that its been great. I would keep it for another 3-4 years if not for the fact that the window trim has some ugly rush on it (apparently it was a recall I wasnt aware of).
Apr 24, 2011
557 posts
243 upvotes
Scarborough
People on G37 forums complain about the auto tranny not being responsive enough. Also, not sure about the sedans, but my coupe drinks gas like no tomorrow :(
Sep 9, 2013
697 posts
594 upvotes
Ottawa
Too many km's imo to spend 20k. The car is going to need alot of parts in the near future, very costly for sure, fuel econ. Is about average for a 6 cyl. but you will have to use the supreme gas. But good looking sedan overal.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
283 upvotes
Mississauga
i know a place that has three 2011 G37x Sport trim AWD. one with 85k, 65k and 68k kms

i can pm u the place in Oakville
Aug 2, 2006
328 posts
43 upvotes
Make sure it has been rust proofed, these things are rust buckets with cheap metal.
Apr 23, 2004
978 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
thedead wrote: Make sure it has been rust proofed, these things are rust buckets with cheap metal.
O really?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2208 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
I know that many VQ engines are notorious for not only burning gas but OIL. We used to have 3 VQ35 (3.5L - seems like you're looking at 3.7) models and all would burn a ton of oil. We were changing oil every 3 months and checking levels weekly just as precautions. A few times I waited longer and only about 1L would drain out. Gas was also killer.. I remember filing my car with over $100 of premium gas when gas was around $1.50 a few years ago (probably 07/08)
Aug 3, 2011
418 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Infiniti is not known for rust-resistant (it's not as bad as Mazda though). I disagree with 'thedead' that it has cheap metal...but rather, it has very cheap paint&clear coat. That's why it can rust so easily. It's a good idea to have a spray-can of clearcoat.

Check the sign of rust. If there's any rust, you will see it on:
-driver's foot area (metal panel beside the brake/accelerator pedals)
-inside the engine bay (see if any of the pulleys on the drive-belt rusted out)
-underneath of the body (especially the BOLTS that hold the plastic covers/skid panel)

Other than that, you will enjoy the car. It is known to have very solid engine + transmission. Not much of electronic issues to deal with (much less than Acura AFAIK).

Be warned that it's a very thirsty machine for the premium gas though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)