Shopping Discussion

Signature required, but mailman left item at the door?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2015 6:05 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal

Signature required, but mailman left item at the door?

A package was delivered at my home this morning. I was following the tracking information on Canadapost.ca.
It was marked as "signature required" in the tracking information.
I just checked my security camera at my door and sure enough, the mailman just left the package at my door.

Now I am pretty confident it will still be at my house by the time I leave work because there are 2 cars in the driveway and there are two cameras, but it worries me a bit that they can just leave stuff like this without a signature. Did the mailman just pretend he got a signature?

edit - It also says the package was "delivered" at 9am, but the video shows it was 11am. Strange.
24 replies
Nov 30, 2003
192 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
Call it in and provide the evidence. If the mailman wants retribution he won't be able to do it since he's probably neglected his duties with hundreds of packages and not just yours.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Hippieson wrote: Call it in and provide the evidence. If the mailman wants retribution he won't be able to do it since he's probably neglected his duties with hundreds of packages and not just yours.
I will inspect the package later, see if it really was clear that it required a signature.

I have another package with signature required coming in later this week. I'll see if he does the same thing or not (and if it's the same person).
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10923 posts
3658 upvotes
im shocked they came to you door, Canada post hasn't visited my door in at least 3 years, they just write "attempted delivery" and put a slip in my community mailbox.
Nov 30, 2003
192 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
I have had incidents with my postman.. Had an Amazon package in a large box worth about $300 left at the front door of my house in plain view of the street all day long. Nothing happened fortunately, but if it was stolen I would have been in for a lot of trouble. Why he did not just be lazy and bring it to the post office I don't know. It clearly required a signature.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2520 posts
1658 upvotes
Ottawa
Hippieson wrote: I have had incidents with my postman.. Had an Amazon package in a large box worth about $300 left at the front door of my house in plain view of the street all day long. Nothing happened fortunately, but if it was stolen I would have been in for a lot of trouble. Why he did not just be lazy and bring it to the post office I don't know. It clearly required a signature.
I'm pretty sure that my mailman leaves "signature required" packages in my mailbox every so often. I don't complain because the item is usually not too expensive. However, he once left a parcel containing an iPad Air bulging out of my mailbox. I almost crapped myself when I saw it as I was walking toward my house.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1458 upvotes
Regina
they have left stuff behind the house and not updated their system before
Feb 21, 2002
664 posts
78 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: A package was delivered at my home this morning. I was following the tracking information on Canadapost.ca.
It was marked as "signature required" in the tracking information.
I just checked my security camera at my door and sure enough, the mailman just left the package at my door.

Now I am pretty confident it will still be at my house by the time I leave work because there are 2 cars in the driveway and there are two cameras, but it worries me a bit that they can just leave stuff like this without a signature. Did the mailman just pretend he got a signature?

edit - It also says the package was "delivered" at 9am, but the video shows it was 11am. Strange.

Canada post delivery man he never asked me for a signature whether it require signature or not
May 13, 2014
765 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
What would happen if one of these packages was stolen? Would Canada Post be on the hook since they (obviously) can't provide the proof of signature?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4105 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario
I have the best story. I bought a shotgun online shipped canada post with signature. Mailman ripped off the part of the shipping label that has the "X" in the box for signature required and just left the box on my door. Sat out there at least 3 hours...
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4105 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario
Raident wrote: What would happen if one of these packages was stolen? Would Canada Post be on the hook since they (obviously) can't provide the proof of signature?
Depends. They would have to do an investigation, esp if the mailman is faking signatures on deliveries. It would be a tough battle though.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2308 upvotes
London
beachdude wrote: So you received the item you are waiting for 2 hours after it's done, and you're still complaining? You complain non stop about Canada Post.

You're the type of guy who either 1) needs to get over his anger for Canada Post & let it go 2) use a different courier system 3) get a hobby instead of watching the delivery guys all day. It's kind of creepy.
1. It was not delivered under the terms purchased (signature required)
2. It was declared delivered 2 hours before it actually was.

Then you dare make the statement above.
Rather than claiming people make non-stop complaints about CP, stop trying to justify the pathetic service as you seem to every time anyone has a valid complaint.
Remove the reasons and people wouldn't complain.
The OP would not be making those complaints if #1 & 2 did not exist.

Your attitude is part of the problem.
Rather than seeking to fix it, you blame the customer, who did nothing wrong.
People can be tolerant of issues if there is acknowledgment, remorse and an attempt to correct it but your attitude and the CP corporate attitude serves to deepen the contempt customers have.
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
My mailman actually asked me if it would be ok to leave packages at the door - I said yes, it's safe where I live and saves me the hassle of picking it up later. I can see why you'd be upset if you never agreed to it, but hey, they are people too. Perhaps mention it politely next time you see him?
Nov 8, 2009
534 posts
277 upvotes
My mailman once left a $500 phone at the door which sat there for several days while we were on vacation. Luckily noone stole it.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17805 posts
5755 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Raident wrote: What would happen if one of these packages was stolen? Would Canada Post be on the hook since they (obviously) can't provide the proof of signature?
Mailman typically just fakes it. I have had it happen to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
greenmoon wrote: My mailman actually asked me if it would be ok to leave packages at the door - I said yes, it's safe where I live and saves me the hassle of picking it up later. I can see why you'd be upset if you never agreed to it, but hey, they are people too. Perhaps mention it politely next time you see him?
the problem is - you never see them. they run and hide like rats.

shoutout to my specific canada post lady in brampton though. but fedex, ups, all terrible here.

Cpost was bad at other addresses, but this one is hella nice.
Jun 15, 2015
15 posts
3 upvotes
ON
Canada Post has made me sign for any package that required it. Always.

UPS though.....EVERY single item I've ordered from Amazon has been left on my front door. No matter the cost.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)