Home & Garden

[2024 CODE UPDATE] Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
georvu wrote: Any electrical issues having oil filled heater on 24/7 in garage with rooms on top during winter?

It would be on 24/7 but only running when pre-set temperature reached and timer used [built into heater] so only running for about 8 hours during night.

Heater like this: http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRD0715T ... ZXRN6MNQ84

Thanks.
no issues
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
baseline wrote: What's the proper way to safely connect an outdoor flood light that has about a 1 foot cable which has neutral, live and ground wires (as pictured)
I have an outdoor GFI nearby that I want to plug it into, but I'm wondering how to extend a weatherproof electrical connection (wire twisties like those used in ceiling lights/wall switches?) to make it to the socket to plug in (code acceptable?) and what kind of outdoor weatherproof enclosure is needed if I want to hide/protect the connection parts underground.

[IMG]http://ccb87fe4e33cb11e777c-991712112b5 ... ng%201.jpg[/IMG]

Or... if I'm just making it too complicated, what's a better way?
depending on the size of the box, you can probably mount it to a 2 gang masonary box, there should be installation instruction with the fixture, and it needs to be hard wired, you may need a switch as well if it doesn't have photocell.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
theSPOOLER wrote: Hi, the house I bought had a hot tub at one time. Above my suspended ceiling is an 8/3 NMD90 cable and this cable runs all the way outside, it's protected in some kind of conduit outside, but it's still D, not WU. I'm wondering what to do with this cable. There is no outside junction box, it just comes straight out of the house into conduit. The cable was cut bare and just left there in the snow. The 40V breaker is off. Above the electrical panel, there is some kind of biggish junction box the wire passes through. I'm looking to clean up the out side area. Should I cut the cable at the conduit and pull some of it back inside for a potential indoor junction box or would this cable no longer be appropriate for today's hottubs and I should just pull all of it out?
install a surface mounted weather proof (EEMAC3) junction box and leave your wire there, when you install an outdoor hot tub eventually you can use liquid tight flex cable to connect to it.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1359 posts
870 upvotes
GTA
divx wrote: install a surface mounted weather proof (EEMAC3) junction box and leave your wire there, when you install an outdoor hot tub eventually you can use liquid tight flex cable to connect to it.
Thanks for the prompt response! When you say "leave your wire there" are you saying the NMD90 should be terminated at the weather proof junction box or that I can continue to use the NMD90 outdoors if it's in the liquid tight flex cable?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
divx wrote: you need #10 for 30A rating
Thanks, that what I put in today.

Next step is figuring an easy way to get it up to the kitchen.

Is there a code requirement on the height above floor for a dryer outlet?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
divx wrote: i don't like it, but code allows you to use gfci protection for lack of grounding connection
How does this work and why don't you like it?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
theSPOOLER wrote: Thanks for the prompt response! When you say "leave your wire there" are you saying the NMD90 should be terminated at the weather proof junction box or that I can continue to use the NMD90 outdoors if it's in the liquid tight flex cable?
yes leave your nmd90 in the junction box, continue with liquid tight flex cable to the equipment, it may come with a short piece of cord, the flex cable is not nmd90 in liquid tight sleeve but rather another type of cable rated for flex + wet location
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Sum_guy wrote: Thanks, that what I put in today.

Next step is figuring an easy way to get it up to the kitchen.

Is there a code requirement on the height above floor for a dryer outlet?
no but you should mount it around 600mm above finished floor
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Quentin5 wrote: How does this work and why don't you like it?
gfci detects leakage current from the hot to the neutral, and trips >5mA, this is fine by code but it won't actually ground the equipment and the equipment could be hot from another source.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
divx wrote: gfci detects leakage current from the hot to the neutral, and trips >5mA, this is fine by code but it won't actually ground the equipment and the equipment could be hot from another source.
Interesting, and i agree with you that an actual ground is preferable
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
My house has two hydro metres (was tenanted, but I'll be combining the two)

What should I be expecting to pay to combine the two? Trying to see if it's worth while to avoid the duplicate account charges etc. Just a general range would be great, trying to see if it's a 300-500 dollar job or a 800-1200 one
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
^you are better off just paying the meter read charges, otherwise it will cost around $1000 to redo the service with single meter and splitter to connect both panels together
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
matdwyer wrote: My house has two hydro metres (was tenanted, but I'll be combining the two)

What should I be expecting to pay to combine the two? Trying to see if it's worth while to avoid the duplicate account charges etc. Just a general range would be great, trying to see if it's a 300-500 dollar job or a 800-1200 one
How much are your duplicate account charges?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: How much are your duplicate account charges?
No idea, but having two accounts would mean two of all the admin fees I assume

So $1000ish would be the cost eh? They're right beside each other, if that helps.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
matdwyer wrote: No idea, but having two accounts would mean two of all the admin fees I assume

So $1000ish would be the cost eh? They're right beside each other, if that helps.
Call them and find out, how can you decide if its worth it without anything to compare the cost to?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
matdwyer wrote: No idea, but having two accounts would mean two of all the admin fees I assume

easiest way is to insert a 60A2P breaker in one panel, if it can take it, to feed the other panel. In that case the cost would be <$500.
Jul 24, 2015
1 posts
Kelowna, BC
Does anyone know if new condo towers in British Columbia are required to install GFI outlet(s). We just purchased a pre construction unit and it has a very large 450 soft balcony. The marketing people can't answer my question and it seems too lazy to check the electrical schematic. Appreciate any help on this question :-)
Jul 24, 2015
3 posts
Yukon
Question about GFI circuit for outdoor receptacles and lights

Ran power from panel through GFI outdoor receptacle first to protect the rest to the outdoor plugs. There are also lights and a electromechanical time switch (for outdoor plug) downstream of the GFI protection as well. Will the GFI nuisance trip because of the lighting and electromechanical time switch that is protecting in the same circuit ?? or other problems with this?

This circuit is for a car port so it meets code for pugs and lights on same circuit.

Thanks!
Jul 4, 2012
211 posts
49 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
Sixpack wrote: Does anyone know if new condo towers in British Columbia are required to install GFI outlet(s). We just purchased a pre construction unit and it has a very large 450 soft balcony. The marketing people can't answer my question and it seems too lazy to check the electrical schematic. Appreciate any help on this question :-)
Typically only receptacles within 2.5m of finished grade require GFCI protection. But your balcony will require 1 receptacle by code.
Mar 24, 2006
50 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Hi There,

We are looking at putting in a pool and the neighbours have a green transformer box on the other side of the fence. Can you please let me know the "rules" regarding how far the pool edge would need to be from transformer box?

Should we install the pool, the existing transformer box on the neighbour's property would be behind a wooden fence.

We are located in Toronto and I've contacted the City, Toronto Hydro and ESA. Can't get an answer from anyone!

Please help! Thank you!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)