Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

USA Best Buy - Toshiba 55" LED TV for $349 (AVAILABLE NOW!!!!)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2015 8:33 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
3104 posts
1726 upvotes
Canada
Kingmoo wrote: I think costcos 55" haire is a better deal at $499 CAD

Not much of a difference... And a return policy that better than driving back to another country
I would take a Toshiba over a Haire any day of the week!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal for the US, cools down a lot after gas / duties / HST to Canada.
Aug 26, 2010
925 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton
SickBeast wrote: There's no duty on stuff like this. You guys who flamebait about this stuff really have no idea what you are talking about. No clue. I have never paid duty and I have bought a boatload of stuff in the US. All you generally have to pay is 13% HST and even that is YMMV as they will often wave you through.
Do you declare the TV and they still waive you through? Or just have faith they don't search the car?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Angultra wrote: Good deal for the US, cools down a lot after gas / duties / HST to Canada.
Gas up in the US too.
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
LSG19999 wrote: For those of you that are not aware, Toshiba has stopped selling tvs in the North America market earlier this year, so these are the last few left (if any). There might be good deals to have especially during boxing day, but keep in mind if there is any warranty issues or something goes wrong with tv, things can get pretty pricey$$
Really? I hadn't heard that - are they getting out of the TV market entirely?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
KangFu wrote: Do you declare the TV and they still waive you through? Or just have faith they don't search the car?
48 hour limit is $800...$349 will get waived through...
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Mar 2, 2015
804 posts
161 upvotes
Edmonton
Captain Snazzypants wrote: Really? I hadn't heard that - are they getting out of the TV market entirely?
The announcement was made in January. They will still sell tvs, but not in North America. Sadly, Samsung makes up almost 50% of the tv market share, while the others (Sony,Panasonic, Vizio, etc) fight for the other half. Panasonic and Sony might leave soon too

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/ ... 9W20150129
Feb 26, 2009
304 posts
78 upvotes
Surrey, BC
This deal is still active....The GF live in LA and has been looking for this size. You can not go wrong for the price
AKA "canadude" :arrow: Howard Forums
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26011 posts
211309 upvotes
GTA
deal_with_singh wrote: 48 hour limit is $800...$349 will get waived through...
That's with a minimum 48 hour stay, not up to 48 hours. Same day, there is no exemption AFAIK. In that situation, if one is truthful about the cost, I have my doubts about this being waived through...
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
KangFu wrote: Do you declare the TV and they still waive you through? Or just have faith they don't search the car?
I've always declared everything and more often than not I'm waved through (no HST or duty charged), even on $500+ items. Being less than completely honest when making your declaration to a Border Services Officer is a risky strategy. It's a criminal offence, and while they typically don't press charges for minor transgressions, you will be flagged in CBSA's database and subsequently diverted for a full inspection every time you go through a border in the future.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Amazing how cheap things are in the US.
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote: That's with a minimum 48 hour stay, not up to 48 hours. Same day, there is no exemption AFAIK. In that situation, if one is truthful about the cost, I have my doubts about this being waived through...
Correct. You have to be away more than 48 hours to bring this TV in duty and tax free.

Full details: http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/b ... mini-guide
Dec 14, 2008
722 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
CanuckGreg wrote: I've always declared everything and more often than not I'm waved through (no HST or duty charged), even on $500+ items. Being less than completely honest when making your declaration to a Border Services Officer is a risky strategy. It's a criminal offence, and while they typically don't press charges for minor transgressions, you will be flagged in CBSA's database and subsequently diverted for a full inspection every time you go through a border in the future.
Holy ***** reading through the schedule and tariffs from the CBSA site is a pain in the ass. Not sure how the border agent is even capable of determining which scheduled item applies.

So for electronics specifically, here's the link. Expand the "number per page" to show all then search for the term "monitors and projectors" and you'll come across the section that describes just about every single display apparatus whether high def, cathode ray tube, transceiver incorporated, for manufacturing or other uses, etc., etc. You'll find that most are, in fact, duty free, which makes me believe the border agent won't even bother going through the duty calculation.

That doesn't mean it's TAX free, which is still subject to HST (13% in Ontario). The CBSA duty/tax estimator is consistent with this assessment on televisions in particular. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... l-eng.html
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: 48 hour limit is $800...$349 will get waived through...
Not necessarily. I've been sent in for $100 and I have nexus.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
candle11 wrote: Have you seen a price like this for a 55" LED? It's MOLTEN LAVA HOT!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-55- ... Id=4203600

Available till midnight NOV 11 or until SOLD OUT

Definitely worth a trip down south!
Lemig0s wrote: cold deal. After 5 years on RDF, OP should know better.

add duties, tax, time, gas, conversion, so cold that i need to wear a hoodie under my canada goose
Dai_Lo wrote: LOL. i lol'ed pretty hard
OP, you have brought great dishonour and shame to this community.

:lol:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5991 upvotes
I consider Toshiba to be the low end of the first tier manufacturers. That being said, my son picked up the 40"" on the Sears.ca price error a couple of years ago ($229 CAD) and it has worked perfectly.
May 24, 2011
261 posts
34 upvotes
MONTR
SickBeast wrote: There's no duty on stuff like this. You guys who flamebait about this stuff really have no idea what you are talking about. No clue. I have never paid duty and I have bought a boatload of stuff in the US. All you generally have to pay is 13% HST and even that is YMMV as they will often wave you through.
This person knows what they are talking about. I have personally imported appliances, BBQ, etc ... especially when the FX rate was near par. Only ever paid the regular QC & Federal sales taxes. Never paid duty.

Also, even at the current FX rate, I recently filled up in Vermont for 0.74$CAD / liter. Not bad! :)
Jan 30, 2006
574 posts
158 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…
Lemig0s wrote: cold deal. After 5 years on RDF, OP should know better.

add duties, tax, time, gas, conversion, so cold that i need to wear a hoodie under my canada goose
:D you are funny
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
ieGod wrote: Holy ***** reading through the schedule and tariffs from the CBSA site is a pain in the ass. Not sure how the border agent is even capable of determining which scheduled item applies.
It's not easy. CBSA is one of my clients, so I'm familiar with the amount of ongoing training that Border Services Officers are provided. We think of them as glorified security guards but the job is considerably more complex, particularly if they're working a port that has both commercial traffic and travellers.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1458 posts
1000 upvotes
ieGod wrote: Holy ***** reading through the schedule and tariffs from the CBSA site is a pain in the ass. Not sure how the border agent is even capable of determining which scheduled item applies.

So for electronics specifically, here's the link. Expand the "number per page" to show all then search for the term "monitors and projectors" and you'll come across the section that describes just about every single display apparatus whether high def, cathode ray tube, transceiver incorporated, for manufacturing or other uses, etc., etc. You'll find that most are, in fact, duty free, which makes me believe the border agent won't even bother going through the duty calculation.

That doesn't mean it's TAX free, which is still subject to HST (13% in Ontario). The CBSA duty/tax estimator is consistent with this assessment on televisions in particular. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... l-eng.html
this calculator will give you a pretty accurate estimation on duties
http://customscalculator.com/CUSTOMSCAW ... CAWeb.aspx

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)